Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all forum members. I am onto my second Hyundai with this 2002 Elantra 2.0 and already need some assistance. My first Hyundai was a 2000 Elantra and was a great car and even better gas milage. I sold it to a friend that kept bugging me to sell so ,,,I did. The 2002 car started out running great but had developed a backfire out the intake, then went to a high idle situation. I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and there was an area where the idle would go higher, so plan was to replace the gasket. Dang,,the intake gasket was toast in several places and don't know how it even ran,,!! I also noticed that 3 of the four injector areas of the manifold were extremely carboned up as well as the throttle body,,which was maybe causing the back fire?? Got the manifold reinstalled and everything lashed up and waiting on some new injectors,,,,BUT,,,,,,My son had removed the plug wires without marking them and now I am not sure which goes where,,,,,,lol
I googled "firing order for 2002 Elantra 2.0 and there at least half a dozen images all with different firing orders and even different cylinder orientations,,!! WHICH one is #1 cylinder??
Can somebody share the correct firing order placement on the coil pack as well as the correct cylinder orientation,,Please,,?? Many Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello to all forum members. I am onto my second Hyundai with this 2002 Elantra 2.0 and already need some assistance. My first Hyundai was a 2000 Elantra and was a great car and even better gas milage. I sold it to a friend that kept bugging me to sell so ,,,I did. The 2002 car started out running great but had developed a backfire out the intake, then went to a high idle situation. I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and there was an area where the idle would go higher, so plan was to replace the gasket. Dang,,the intake gasket was toast in several places and don't know how it even ran,,!! I also noticed that 3 of the four injector areas of the manifold were extremely carboned up as well as the throttle body,,which was maybe causing the back fire?? Got the manifold reinstalled and everything lashed up and waiting on some new injectors,,,,BUT,,,,,,My son had removed the plug wires without marking them and now I am not sure which goes where,,,,,,lol
I googled "firing order for 2002 Elantra 2.0 and there at least half a dozen images all with different firing orders and even different cylinder orientations,,!! WHICH one is #1 cylinder??
Can somebody share the correct firing order placement on the coil pack as well as the correct cylinder orientation,,Please,,?? Many Thanks for any help.
ANYBODY,,??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You might have better luck getting answers to your question by posting in the Elantra forum. Just a thought.....

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,339 Posts
I don't know why google would show over half a dozen different firing orders. Every 4 cylinder car engine I've ever worked on has had the same firing order..1,3,4,2.
On Hyundai engines cylinder 1 is the one closest to the timing belt. Your plug leads should be installed kinda like this (photo from Google)...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey AUTOSPARK,,,,,,THANK YOU so very much,,!!! I'm with you on why there are so many different firing orders ,,but for the heck of it,,google "Images of fIring order for 2002 Elantra" You'll be amazed,!! Again, Many Thanks,!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Autospark,,,I wired it up just like the pic you posted and the engine fired right up,,!! Yea,,!! AND no high idle either,,,it ran like it did when I bought the car. MANY THANKS for all your help. I'm , now trying to figure out where a small square part went that had two vacuum hoses attached to it and a two wire connector on it,,,?? There gotta be two open hose connections in the area but I ain't fount em yet,!! I cannot get my IPhone to transfer pics to my PC so I can post a pic,,,Ya got any ideas??

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,339 Posts
Where abouts on the engine is the part located?
The only thing that springs to mind that would have two hoses and an electrical connector is the fuel tank purge solenoid valve, but genuine Hyundai ones aren't usually square...see below. The purge valve is usually fitted right at the back of the engine, below the throttle body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Autospark,,,,well, my son finally remembered where he removed that thingie and it was right below the throttle body,,! lashed everything up and put a spark in the engine,,and after spitting and coughing a few times,,,it smoothed right up and he tells me it is running better than when he bought it. I am amazed the engine even ran as the manifold gasket was cooked worst tan I've ever seen one,,
Many, many thanks to you for all your help,,you're a stand-up person,!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just don't get it I change the intake gasket on my 2002 Hyundai Elantra and whenever I put it back together it will not run. I made sure to put everything back the way it was supposed to or at least the way I took it off I have the firing order fine the spark plugs are good. I spray starting fluid around the whole engine and there's no vacuum leaks somebody help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey THutchinson,,,I also had a real issue with trying to install the spark plug wires on my Son's car same as your car. I tried to look online and was amazed at how many different wiring images there were,, even several different locations as to which cylinder was #1,,!!
Autospark bailed me out and after following his recommendations,,the engine fired right up. The wires and placements are now paint marked so we don't have to fight that bs if there is a next time. Good Luck,,!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts