Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum and new to the i30.

Pcked up a 2010 i30 1.6 diesel auto comfort last week. So far I am liking it, but have a few niggles I'd like more experienced owners' views on:

I can get 46/47 mpg combined, but only if I drive like a nun...I mean really, really light on the go pedal. The slightest hill or throttle use and it goes closer to 20mpg. If I dare to try accelerating up a hill then I can get it to 11mpg! Should it really be that hard to get good fuel economy from it? I'd hoped to get 45 mpg from 'normal' throttle, not 'constant concentration and foot cramps' throttle. So far, it feels like if I drove it like I did my old car (2 litre petrol auto mondeo), I'd get about the same mpg (30).

There is rattle from the dash from anything but the smoothest of road. I've read these are pretty common, but are they warranty repairs?

The 'ESP OFF' light has come on three times so far without my going near the button, and pressing the button repeatedly didn't get rid of it. Is this a fault?

Water on the outside of the front windows isn't even touched when the windows are wound-down, making them impossible to clear. The external rubber doesn't even make contact. It contacts on the inside, but nothing on the outside. Also the windows are pretty slow to go down, and even slower to go up. With the engine off, they are even slower. Are the speed and lack of contact 'normal'?

Is there a way to get the screen of the stereo to stay in 'dark' mode unless I actually press the 'dark' button again? There's no need for it to light up like a christmas tree just because I changed the volume one notch!

Overall, I love the ride and handling, and there's plenty of poke when I need it, plus it looks pretty good too, but I'd like to resolve these issues if I can.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
538 Posts
The fuel economy reading is an 'instant' value, averaged since last reset. Drive it through 2 or three tanks of fuel then work out true fuel useage. The ESP coming on is a fault, take it back to the yard and get them to look at it. As for the windows, yes annoying, but that's how they are. Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,
New to the forum and new to the i30.
Pcked up a 2010 i30 1.6 diesel auto comfort last week. So far I am liking it, but have a few niggles I'd like more experienced owners' views on:
I can get 46/47 mpg combined, but only if I drive like a nun...I mean really, really light on the go pedal. The slightest hill or throttle use and it goes closer to 20mpg. If I dare to try accelerating up a hill then I can get it to 11mpg! Should it really be that hard to get good fuel economy from it? I'd hoped to get 45 mpg from 'normal' throttle, not 'constant concentration and foot cramps' throttle. So far, it feels like if I drove it like I did my old car (2 litre petrol auto mondeo), I'd get about the same mpg (30).
There is rattle from the dash from anything but the smoothest of road. I've read these are pretty common, but are they warranty repairs?
The 'ESP OFF' light has come on three times so far without my going near the button, and pressing the button repeatedly didn't get rid of it. Is this a fault?
Water on the outside of the front windows isn't even touched when the windows are wound-down, making them impossible to clear. The external rubber doesn't even make contact. It contacts on the inside, but nothing on the outside. Also the windows are pretty slow to go down, and even slower to go up. With the engine off, they are even slower. Are the speed and lack of contact 'normal'?
Is there a way to get the screen of the stereo to stay in 'dark' mode unless I actually press the 'dark' button again? There's no need for it to light up like a christmas tree just because I changed the volume one notch!
Overall, I love the ride and handling, and there's plenty of poke when I need it, plus it looks pretty good too, but I'd like to resolve these issues if I can.
Thanks,
Craig
Hi Craig
I have an i30 like yours. 45mpg average is about the best you can hope for. Much less with cold starts and short journeys, a little better with long runs. On long runs it makes little difference to me if I drive gently at 60 etc or at "over 70". I think these cars economy is hampered by the torque converter auto box (that I thought might be more dependable).
The rattle - rattling rearview mirrors are endemic (and should be warranty) - see if its that else it means removing all the stuff and trying to pinpoint. But mine has creaks from all over the dashboard.
The ESP light is a fault - go back to dealer. However it should sort temporarily if you reset it by switching ignition off and back on (whilst stopped of course).
And yes - the window exteriors are not wiped by the seal when raised or lowered. Thats the way it is. My electric windows are also sometimes slow, worth being aware when paying for a car wash ..... Just a thought .....I think that the battery (also some suspect reports I recall) , if it has low voltage due to a failing or dead cell etc, may be a link between slow windows and ESP warning lamp.
Cant throw light (doh) on the display issue you describe.
All in all - enjoy the car and use the warranty whilst you can.
Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

I'll go and see the dealer about the rattles and ESP light, thanks.

Have you guys had any better economy with premium diesel? I haven't tried it yet but was thinking of it, and maybe bumping up the tyre pressures.

I'm sitting at 47.4mpg average just now. That's with a mixed commute, hardly ever going over 60, plenty of coasting, and a feather touch but accelerating quickly when there's a slight hill and the feather only gives 28mpg anyway! Hopefully it will improve as the auto box gets to know my driving style.

One other thing. I'm only 5'9" but I can only sit comfortably in the car with the headrest at full height so that my head is slightly underneath the point of it. Has anyone managed to do anything (paying or by the dealer) about these ridiculously far forward headrests?

Craig

·
Registered
538 Posts
The headrests have a mechanism in them to support your head in an accident, it may have come forward by itself, grab the base of the head rest and pull it forward sharply, it should then 'rachett' itself rearwards slightly giving you a bit more room, they're not brilliant at the best of times. As for premium diesel, I wouldn't bother, tyre pressures will help but it's a trade off on comfort. I concur with Talking Hoarse, once on the highway it doesn't seem to make much difference how fast you drive them within reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts