Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.

I am new to this forum and greet all.

My 2000 Accent GLS is consuming excessive oil. Around 1 litre/1000 Km. and it has run around 90 K Kms. Recently I got the compression checked and it was 14,14,13,12

Should I get for an Engine overhaul ?

regards
abin

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by abin@Nov 29 2004, 03:02 AM
Hello to all.

I am new to this forum and greet all.

My 2000 Accent GLS is consuming excessive oil. Around 1 litre/1000 Km. and it has run around 90 K Kms. Recently I got the compression checked and it was 14,14,13,12

Should I get for an Engine overhaul ?

regards
abin
[snapback]3124[/snapback]​

first do a cylinder leakage test. It looks like there is a piston ring problem at #4; if there are no score marks in the bore, and the piston skirt is fine, the you just need rings.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another way of telling if your engine is burning oil is to start the car and let it warm up, then get someone else to sit in it and just rev it - if the exhaust smoke has a slightly blue tint to it then you're burning oil ... hence as Duke said - you may just need new rings on your piston heads.

If that's the problem and there's no scoring inside the cylinders then that should fix the oil usage problem and also give you a bit of power back :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by duke@Nov 29 2004, 08:56 AM
first do a cylinder leakage test. It looks like there is a piston ring problem at #4; if there are no score marks in the bore, and the piston skirt is fine, the you just need rings.
[snapback]3128[/snapback]​

Hi all,

It appears that the compression gauge was faulty earlier and hence i got the test redone. here are the readings

dry : 15 15 15 15
wet : 17.3 17.3 18.3 18

Now outof the blue the excessive oil consumption has also stopped but the car is heavy in running. As per Service centre it is OK. and needs no repair...

Are they correct ? I heard that too much of difference in dry/wet reading could indicate some problem..

So what should be the correct approach for me and what are the current reading's significance ?

As per service centre there is no need for cylinder leakage test.

regards
abin

·
Registered
422 Posts
As a common rule of thumb, you should begin to worry when there is about a 10% difference between wet and dry tests.

Eg,

Cyl1:
dry: 180psi
wet: 205psi

there is a 25psi difference instead of the allowed 18psi. This would be your rings.

Remeber a wet test will only determine whether or not your rings are faulty, they will not check valves. But in your case you do not need to check valves.

I presume that you are have your compression tests carried out using kg/cm.
In assuming this, 15 is the standard amount.
Now working with the fact that 1Kg/cm is roughly 14.5psi and one of your specs is 3Kg/cm more than standard which equates to roughly 45psi!

If this mechanic is trying to tell you that your compression is 3Kg/cm (43.5psi) higher than standard at 18Kg/cm (261psi), I think his mechanical skills need some questioning.
I think that it is quite possible that he may be putting way too much oil in the cylinder for his wet test!
Or his gauge is still rooted!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welll.... i am still driving the same vehicle.. since Jan i have done some 7000 Kms..just got it serviced and mechanic tells me that clutch is slipping bit.. as per him i can drive the car some 10000 Km more and then get engine and clucth overhauling done..

In the meantime, he is also suggesting that i add 800ml of Valvoline to Engine Oil Tank.

Just want to know if it is recommended ?? Does anyone have any experiences.. lest it may temporary give engine the strength but spoil it altogether !!

thanks in advance

abin

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
WOHAA, lets not spend money where it is not needed.

1) where are you located, “IN” does not say anything.
2) A wet compression test is crap, and does tell nothing. If a compression test reads too low, then a cylinder leakage test MUST be performed. I always thought that this “wet test” BS is a North American thing. On a wet test, the added oil will momentarily seal any leak of the combustion chamber, and does not indicate worn rings.
3) Is the 15 measurement in bar ?? Here in North America, we still read in psi, and a 10:1 compression engine must produce at least 195~200 psi (13.5 bar +). So, 15 bar (217 psi) is perfect.

It would be a good idea to do an engine flush. Try to get a can of WYNN’S engine flush, and follow the instructions on the can. This stuff is the best on the market, it will clean out the carbon & dirt from the rings, so they can freely expand again to do their job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts