Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to go test drive a 2018 Elantra one of these days, but something I've read a few times in online reviews is that the steering can feel a bit heavy or stiff at times. I was wondering if any owners have any comments or opinions on this?

I'm coming from a 2006 Corolla, and I really enjoy its responsive steering, so I'm hoping the Elantra can match that.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Effortless in Eco mode, does get stiffer in Normal mode, and a bit more in Sport mode, but don't use the word stiff, use the word more feel instead.

Really gets super stiff if you lose voltage to the electrical power steering unit. Steering wheel ratio is very low in all vehicles with electrical power steering, something like lock to lock 2 1/2 total turns. Ha, my wife flunked her drivers test for not using hand over hand turning, when I drove her course, maximum rotation of the wheel was like 30 degrees, maybe baby finger over baby finger steering.

Lawsuits are all over the place with lack of power assist, was happy my wife was not driving our new Cruze when it failed, took a huge amount of force to even make a turn. But this is not the vehicles manufacturers fault, blame the EPA, insisted on electrical power steering to save on recycling less than a quart of power steering fluid.

Ha, back in the old days, was something like a dozen turns lock to lock, most of us used a suicide knob to help crank that wheel, but they were also illegal. Had, to take mine off for my driver's test and hand over hand was not a problem.

Back in around 1998, EPA was after us to develop electrical brakes so didn't have to recycle a pint of brake fluid, none of us could do this. Find it ironic they never got after us to ease up on engine oil, had to be replaced around every 3K miles because of carbon in the fuel that also generated acids, talking about billions of gallons

Also on heavy carbon laden fuels, . was after us ever since 1971 to burn it clean, this made our vehicles so complicated, very few can repair them. Ever noticed the EPA likes to pick on the little things? In 1994 banned a can of R-12 refrigerant over night and made the consumers responsible for the conversion to R-134a, based on an unproven theory. Not a spec of CFC's were found because its biodegradable, R-134a is not.

Just telling it like it is.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm hoping to go test drive a 2018 Elantra one of these days, but something I've read a few times in online reviews is that the steering can feel a bit heavy or stiff at times.
I've got a 2017 Elantra SE and I find the steering very responsive. See what you think when you test drive one. Also try Sport mode which perks the car up quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Honestly this is the first time that I've heard of a Hyundai vehicle being accused of feeling "heavy" while steering. Not saying that you're wrong, it's just unusual. Most of the complaints that I've heard of Hyundai steering is that it almost feels too effortless, or numb. Either way, I've got no complaints with the steering in my Elantra. Feels good, I have a good feel for the road, quick response, etc etc.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Honestly this is the first time that I've heard of a Hyundai vehicle being accused of feeling "heavy" while steering. Not saying that you're wrong, it's just unusual. Most of the complaints that I've heard of Hyundai steering is that it almost feels too effortless, or numb. Either way, I've got no complaints with the steering in my Elantra. Feels good, I have a good feel for the road, quick response, etc etc.
Generally agree. The only issue I had at first was it didn't seem to stay in a straight ahead groove - constantly required little corrections. That doesn't seem to be the case now, perhaps because the tires have had some time to wear in? I did have the alignment checked and it was fine.

·
Registered
915 Posts
According to the owner's manual, "SPORT mode manages the driving dynamics by automatically adjusting the steering effort, and the engine and transmission control logic for enhanced driver performance."

There is no difference in steering effort between normal and Eco modes. My personal experience is that the steering is light in normal and Eco modes, and that while the steering effort is increased in Sport mode, it is not what I would call, "heavy." It is lighter than in my wife's 2015 Lexus RX.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Generally agree. The only issue I had at first was it didn't seem to stay in a straight ahead groove - constantly required little corrections. That doesn't seem to be the case now, perhaps because the tires have had some time to wear in? I did have the alignment checked and it was fine.
A lot of back roads (in Pennsylvania anyway) have the double grooves worn into them from the passage of cars. I've noticed a tendency for vehicles to tend to follow these. Tends to be even more noticeable with lower profile tires. The highways around here are also crowned for drainage. My motorcycle tires always wear worst on the left side due to this. Also, vehicles have a tendency to pull to the right because of it. I used to manage an NTB and have been working in a dealership for 4 years now, and I can't tell you the number of customers who have said they have an alignment pull when it was simply the road characteristics. Maybe what you were feeling?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
>laughs< This is exactly the problem with social media opinion(s) with their ill inexperience in the field of automotive journalism. I’m assuming that’s the bases of the likes with the consideration every other opinion with a professional review has made statements otherwise.

I've got a 2017 Elantra SE and I find the steering very responsive. See what you think when you test drive one. Also try Sport mode which perks the car up quite a bit.
Whoa...very responsive, eh? Dude, I wouldn’t say it’s ‘very’, but I would say it’s within a range of normal for this price range for a vehicle, or perhaps slightly better. There is play in the steering wheel (which has been noted on several sites domestic and aboard). It’s more responsive than numb.

There’s a reason you’re hearing it for the first time —> That’s b/c it’s mentioned on a forum without links sharing who claims these statements. Seriously, I would like to read the reviews with the bold statement claiming it’s ‘heavy’.

According to the owner's manual, "SPORT mode manages the driving dynamics by automatically adjusting the steering effort, and the engine and transmission control logic for enhanced driver performance."

There is no difference in steering effort between normal and Eco modes. My personal experience is that the steering is light in normal and Eco modes, and that while the steering effort is increased in Sport mode, it is not what I would call, "heavy." It is lighter than in my wife's 2015 Lexus RX.
Totally awesome post! I’m in agreement.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've found the E's steering to be significantly less effort than ave for this class in normal/ECO modes. Clearly a firmer feel in Sport, but not at all "heavy". If anything, I have found the E's steering to be a bit too light & less precise than the best in this class. Probably nothing most would notice unless they drove different models back-to-back over the same roads.
But test drive an E for yourself and form your own opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I managed to test drive one of these today. I liked everything about it...except for the steering :(

I didn't hate it per se, but I did find it slightly heavy at times, atleast compared to my current car. I'm not sure if it's something I'd get used to, but it is a shame since I love everything else about the car. Decisions decisions...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts