Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm a long time lurker, firth time poster.

I've a 2012 Santa Fe 3.5 (CM) with nearly 60k miles on the clock. A few weeks ago I disconnected the battery after some minor maintenance (Replaced Air and cabin filter, fuel injector cleaner) In an attempt to fix an over keen throttle peddle at the lights and a slight jerk into 2nd.

Upon reconnecting the battery it was immediately obvious that the steering was heavier and when selecting reverse the car didnt creep back at idle like it used too. Since then Ive disconnected the battery a few times to try and reset again. Last time I left it for a few hours, strangely it doesn't forget the trip info?

Symptoms:

- Heavier steering at all speeds, still has assistnace but feels like about 50% of before (Tried lock to lock several times etc)
- Slow/no creep in reverse. Selects reverse just fine but now have to apply throttle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also to add, I cleaned the battery terminals up. I have a receipt from 2 years ago on the battery but the Positive terminal had excessive battery acid. Took off what i could and tightened back up.

I suspect its an Earth problem as there is only One earth cable going to the fender (Ive read there should be a couple after a recall/TSB?) however, everything else works perfectly and there are no starting/cranking issues.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Does yours have EPS rather the a hydraulic PS pump. If so there maybe an assist programs setting otherwise its not related.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does yours have EPS rather the a hydraulic PS pump. If so there maybe an assist programs setting otherwise its not related.
Good thinking but its hydraulic, with no untoward noises either.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Well start checking the power assist and even that the alternator is outputting under a heavy load. Lights blower rear defogger etc all on to ensure the serpentine belt is not slipping and/or the tensioner is not stuck unloaded with the belt having low tension.

There is nothing related but if your work involved have spilled fluid or re and re some part in that area. Check it out and use a good flashlight or equivalent. Those Rack steering are know to go. Mine was replace when I bought it. The seal was leaking a lot. Fluid level should be up as well. Even better if you can have someone move the wheel back and forth in slow long swings while you're observer under the hood something might become obvious like a broken pulley on something or hearing it slipping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well start checking the power assist and even that the alternator is outputting under a heavy load. Lights blower rear defogger etc all on to ensure the serpentine belt is not slipping and/or the tensioner is not stuck unloaded with the belt having low tension.

There is nothing related but if your work involved have spilled fluid or re and re some part in that area. Check it out and use a good flashlight or equivalent. Those Rack steering are know to go. Mine was replace when I bought it. The seal was leaking a lot. Fluid level should be up as well. Even better if you can have someone move the wheel back and forth in slow long swings while you're observer under the hood something might become obvious like a broken pulley on something or hearing it slipping.
Thats all great advice, ill get on that list straight away. The level is perfect, i looked at everything i could with a torch and couldnt see any leaks. I do think maybe an alternator could be the culprit becuase of the battery acid on the Positive terminal

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Clean them up but I would expect some reluctance to turn over and/or low voltage across the bad connection if you meter the battery. A fully loaded alternator is not suppose to affect the steering since the belt is driving the pump at an acceptable speed. Never the less if its that obvious it should be cleaned up anyway. Baking soda in water brush around the post and connector will neutralize the acid but you need the contacts clean and shinny.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You really should setup you signature which is done via TOOLS, QUICK LINKS from the top bar pull down. Details are important on the vehicle as well as the location.

I am getting a sense this is not a North American build but in the UK.

The signature info populates every post entered as you at the bottom of my posts for clarity on the vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You really should setup you signature which is done via TOOLS, QUICK LINKS from the top bar pull down. Details are important on the vehicle as well as the location.

I am getting a sense this is not a North American build but in the UK.

The signature info populates every post entered as you at the bottom of my posts for clarity on the vehicle.
Thanks, done. I was looking for that earlier.

I am from the UK but located in the Middle East... What gave it away? :)

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Content like "straight away" , "torch" LOL

My brother in law is in the UK and I hear these and other terms!!

Good luck

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
What is your idle speed? Mine idles at 500 RPM with very little if any variation. If it's idling slower than that, it may be a clue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How old is the PSF ? Time to get some fresh one, may be?
The level is ok and my finger was red after i dipped it. I dont think it would cause a sudden issue

What is your idle speed? Mine idles at 500 RPM with very little if any variation. If it's idling slower than that, it may be a clue.

Idle is higher than that i think, maybe 700 - same as before though

·
Registered
101 Posts
You are not answering the question. And Hyundai power steering fluid is not red color. The idling speed should be 650 to 750 rpm. Something is not adding up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You are not answering the question. And Hyundai power steering fluid is not red color. The idling speed should be 650 to 750 rpm. Something is not adding up.
I am and have answered the question. I answered it above your post, i said '700' but driving it today and it actually sitting around 600rpm with the AC on full chat

As for the fluid, I dont know when it was last changed, probabaly never but would it cause a sudden issue. Didnt smell burnt

I will check the colour of fluid again, Its at the right level for sure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wondering, when you disconnected the battery, did you touch the car's (+) and (-) battery cables together?
No definitly not. Dot think they'd even reach other come o think of it.

Im going to go over the car with a fine tooth comb tomorrow and see if i can see anything.

One thing still bugs me.. why did the trip not reset even after disconnecting the battery for a few hours? Radio codes, one-touch etc all had to be redone..

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Power steering fluid red? It should be practically clear. Did somebody put transmission fluid in your power steering system? Check the manual to see if the application is different for your car, but PSF shouldn't look like ATF. Sounds like a complete system flush might be in order with a refill of OEM specified fluid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

You two may have touched on something here. Just had a prob and look around, disconnected battery and wiggled pushed everything.

Started back up and steering wasn't as heavy as it was yesterday but it was a cold start so idle was higher. Went for a drive and steering felt a tad heavier than I remember but was light enough. At traffic lights i noticed the idle dropped to 500 and a couple of times to about 450 (Engines so smooth its tricky to tell other than looking at the tach)

Got back to the garage, stuck it in reverse and the revs dropped again to about 400/450 which would explain the lack of creep.

Just need to research resetting the idle speed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Power steering fluid red? It should be practically clear. Did somebody put transmission fluid in your power steering system? Check the manual to see if the application is different for your car, but PSF shouldn't look like ATF. Sounds like a complete system flush might be in order with a refill of OEM specified fluid.

It is actually clearish, not red as previously stated, my mistake. I went to the local garage to buy some in order to drain it and refill with known new stuff, they insisted it needed atf, good job i checked the manual (PSF3)

Next step: Im going to buy a bottle of PSF3 and drain the reservoir and refill to the correct level

Reactions: DSHornet
1 - 20 of 20 Posts