Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone notice that the flywheel in the 2013 Elantra GT seems to rev quick, but does not drop down as quickly.(Kind of Flash) Is there anything anyone knows how to fix this without swapping to a lighter flywheel, or is there something electronic going on as to way this is happening. It seems just hang the slowly returns to zero. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I was thinking that because possibly the initial force of the flywheel causing the lag in the drop in engine speed. Which would not be that bad if you could actually feel or hear were the engine is at since there seems to be very little feel in this car's driving sensation.

Thanks though for your input...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No

I had a 1997 BMW M3 which I put a 8lb. light weight flywheel into the tranny the car immediately revved in a four cylinder and was a beast, but of course it took it's toll on the drive shaft on other obvious components, but did it fly.

Therefore, due to the weight of the flywheel the inertial drag on the engine would slow down the whole engine and therefore cause slower shifting of the car, get it....

·
Registered
616 Posts
I believe this is actually caused by the ecu, not the flywheel. When you completely let off, the ecu controls the throttle body and keeps the engine "hanging" for a moment. I've only ever experienced this on engines with e-throttles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe this is actually caused by the ecu, not the flywheel. When you completely let off, the ecu controls the throttle body and keeps the engine "hanging" for a moment. I've only ever experienced this on engines with e-throttles.
I agree, if it was the flywheel it would have to be the same speeding up and slowing down, not fast one way and slow the other. Emissions controls, not flywheel

·
Banned
998 Posts
to my knowledge, manuals have heavy flywheels, while automatic most of the time pretty light and, to my surprise, flexible (one can bent it).

In this case, it is not flywheel, it is electronics that allow fuel to be pumped (injected) to cylinders.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All

Thanks for all the great feedback on your thoughts about the clutch action. Let me know if you have any ideas on how to improve the engine responsiveness.

Take Care and thanks...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts