Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi drove to work today approx 9miles.temp gauge was sat in middle as it should but no heat coming out of vents.i kept switching system off and on then suddenly i got heat as though something was stuck.but now i cant get hot air to come out again.my thinking is some sort of valve is stuck.anyone have any ideas?

also just wanted to check water level in diesel engine.there dosent seem to be a water reservoir /overflow tank.just a cap that you twist off.

how do you check correct level.dont want to overfill.

also car seems to take ages when heater was ok to heat up . outside temp is 5degrees celcius ambiant. takes around 5-6miles to start heating.

·
1,462 Posts
QUOTE (subevo @ Mar 16 2011, 03:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=416208
hi drove to work today approx 9miles.temp gauge was sat in middle as it should but no heat coming out of vents.i kept switching system off and on then suddenly i got heat as though something was stuck.but now i cant get hot air to come out again.my thinking is some sort of valve is stuck.anyone have any ideas?

also just wanted to check water level in diesel engine.there dosent seem to be a water reservoir /overflow tank.just a cap that you twist off.

how do you check correct level.dont want to overfill.

also car seems to take ages when heater was ok to heat up . outside temp is 5degrees celcius ambiant. takes around 5-6miles to start heating.

Heater controls (and air conditioning) in the Terracan are not mechanical. They are moved by actuator motors (both air flow distribution and temperature), controlled by the tep selector and flow distribution selector. If your heater temperature adjustments are not working properly, I would first check for a faulty contact (harness plugs) behind the AC selector swithches and levers and also at the actuator motors. If still not fixed, then I suspect a faulty actuator motor. Check also for free movement of the actuator motor and levers. This problem may well be a lack of lubrication.

About water (coolant) level, do not open the radiator (or metal cap in hose). Use the overflow bottle which is translucent to check the level. It should be around de low level limit when engine is cool.

About the heater taking too long to start warming up, this is normal. Remember that the "heat" comes from the engine coolant circulating inside the heater core in the A/C system. If the engine is cold, there is no way you will heat hot air coming out the vents, especially on very cold days. Let it warm up for a few minutes.

Robert B.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks again.
i had a look and can see two actuators.both seem to turn and operate when adjusting the temp from hot to cold.and back again.
is it these motors that control the hot water flow? if so they seem to be working.any other advise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
had another look and found the overflow container (how did i miss it the first time doh!)which was empty except for some black oily sludge in the bottom.cleaned out and refilled.

also i took the cap off the thermostat housing and topped water up .(it looked nearly full and thats what confused me. but it it took 2 litres before i ran out of antifreeze).anyway heater is now working again.

so heater controls were ok all along .its that there was not enough water in the system to allow the heater to work.i hope its a very small leak somewhere and not a cylinder head gasket.

lastly im surprised there is no warning light for low water level.

·
1,462 Posts
QUOTE (subevo @ Jun 22 2011, 01:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=464975
had another look and found the overflow container (how did i miss it the first time doh!)which was empty except for some black oily sludge in the bottom.cleaned out and refilled.

also i took the cap off the thermostat housing and topped water up .(it looked nearly full and thats what confused me. but it it took 2 litres before i ran out of antifreeze).anyway heater is now working again.

so heater controls were ok all along .its that there was not enough water in the system to allow the heater to work.i hope its a very small leak somewhere and not a cylinder head gasket.

lastly im surprised there is no warning light for low water level.

Glad to see you got your heater back to normal. It is very strange to find out so much coolant was missing. The engine should have triggered its "safe mode" in order to prevent overheating. When in "safe mode", the engine will run, but with little to no power at all.

I guess you do have a leak somewhere. If head gasket is blown, it easy do diagnose. Either the engine oil or the coolant (or both) will turn "milky". In such case, I am sure the ECU will signal with the check engine light.

Have all your hoses and connections checked. Leak may be very small and only when engine is very hot. Check also the drain plug under the radiator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hiya could you please tell me how to take out the heater control unit to check the motors and actuators please as my heater isnt getting up to temp aswell it stays at a constant temp my local garage tells me i have to take out the entire front off to get to it which sounds to me like a con
thanks
malc

·
1,462 Posts
hiya could you please tell me how to take out the heater control unit to check the motors and actuators please as my heater isnt getting up to temp aswell it stays at a constant temp my local garage tells me i have to take out the entire front off to get to it which sounds to me like a con
thanks
malc

I am not sure if its true that you have to remove the whole dash panel to check this. Anyway, this is the service manual pages needed for such task.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
you dont have to take anything apart.get a torch and look under the dash .you can see the actuators turning when you move the heater controls from hot to cold.take the radiator cap off the top of the engine and top this up .as mines was low .although i still could see water and thought it was ok. it still took 2 litres.the expansion bottle level was ok but still had to top up the engine.is your fan still blowing?as i had to change my fan motor recently £90.

what do you mean by its staying at a constant temp.do you mean the gauge is sitting in the middle ? i.e. the fully warmed position. how far do you drive to work as ive noticed my car takes forever to heat up in this cold weather.compared to my suzuki vitara.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Terracan not getting warm?

Hi could someone help with an issue I have with my Terrcan 54 plate.

I have been reading other posts and found them useful, however, my question is a little diiferent. Hope someone can help.??

I have recent noticed that my Terracan is taking a little longer to warm up, and when it does, the temp guage is positioned in the centre on the dashboard but the air coming from the vents is cold. (under the bonet, the engine is warming as usual & all seems fine).

I have recent had a new radiator fitted, and have check the water level in the overflow bottle which is showing the correct level.

I have also noticed that the temp guage will not move slowly, (as it used to, when warming up), instead, it will suddenly raise to the centre on the dashboard again without blowing warm air into the cab.

I have read that it could be the actuator, but I do not have any diagrams to show me how to locate these and fix them.

Your advice would be helpful, thanks in advance.
Steve

·
1,462 Posts
Hi could someone help with an issue I have with my Terrcan 54 plate.

I have been reading other posts and found them useful, however, my question is a little diiferent. Hope someone can help.??

I have recent noticed that my Terracan is taking a little longer to warm up, and when it does, the temp guage is positioned in the centre on the dashboard but the air coming from the vents is cold. (under the bonet, the engine is warming as usual & all seems fine).

I have recent had a new radiator fitted, and have check the water level in the overflow bottle which is showing the correct level.

I have also noticed that the temp guage will not move slowly, (as it used to, when warming up), instead, it will suddenly raise to the centre on the dashboard again without blowing warm air into the cab.

I have read that it could be the actuator, but I do not have any diagrams to show me how to locate these and fix them.

Your advice would be helpful, thanks in advance.
Steve
Welcome to the forums:

Check post #7 on this same thread. There you can find the attached service manual pages for checking the heater actuator.

If you had a new radiator fitted, probably they did also a thermostat replacement or clean plus a few other check ups around coolant hoses. That is probably the reason the heater gauge is moving all of a sudden instead of slowly.

Make sure the coolant hoses are still going in and out the firewall (to heater core). Some mechanics have the nasty habit of removing this hoses and connecting the in/out from engine with another "U" hose, thus eliminating the heater.

Let us know your findings.

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
Heater on my terracan only works on max temp. Drop the temp by .05 and it blows cold?
00000732Welcome to the forums. Please update your profile. Easy to do. Click on "CP user" in upper right of screen (on smartphone use PC mode). That will take you to a page where you can click on the "Edit Profile" link on the left side of the screen. You should update the year, model, and engine of your vehicle. Also, please include your general location city/area, state, and country. We have members all over the world. Different countries may have differences in models and laws/regulations. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
00000732Welcome to the forums. Please update your profile. Easy to do. Click on "CP user" in upper right of screen (on smartphone use PC mode). That will take you to a page where you can click on the "Edit Profile" link on the left side of the screen. You should update the year, model, and engine of your vehicle. Also, please include your general location city/area, state, and country. We have members all over the world. Different countries may have differences in models and laws/regulations. THANKS!!!
Hi. This exact thing is happening to me. 2010 genesis coupe 3.8. I love in montreal canada please get back to me asap as im at the end of my 30 day guarentee with a few days left and they should have to fix it. Also there is a strang noise coming from front right of car. Only happens if push start button twice or when car is on. Sounds like maybe a mechanical pumping sound or something

1 - 15 of 15 Posts