Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Someone at Hyundai sure wrote a bad troubleshooting flow chart for the "no cabin heat in EV mode" problem. Changing the inverter pump because the flow chart tells them to is crazy, I guess they try and make the techs "parts changers" and not diagnosticians.

I still wonder if they back probed the white wire on the aux pump to see if the 12v was present as well as continuity checking the pump ground wire? If the ground is good and you have 12v on the input to the pump and it's not pumping, then that would be a sure sign to change it out.

Sure glad you got this covered under warranty, btw - did they leave in the new inverter pump for you or put yours back in ?
Not sure how they went through their diagnosis honestly, but I would hope they did all the basic stuff first. I still don't comprehend that there's no HVAC diagnostic procedure on their GDS system; honestly it's the only reason I brought it to a Hyundai dealer, in the hopes that they would put it on their GDS and pinpoint the exact fault of the no heat situation. (There is a self-diagnostic HVAC flow chart I tried early on from the online shop manual, but it didn't work at all). I know I didn't pull the power supply off of the aux pump and test it, but the "aux pump" relay and "water pump" fuse tested fine, and honestly I am not even 100% sure if the relay and fuse was for the inverter pump or aux pump based on Hyundai's part descriptions. Either way, they kept the brand new inverter pump in and the aux pump is on order so hopefully it will be fixed soon enough. I just don't want to go through all this and find out that it's not the pump next week and we need further diagnostics.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great thread here guys and example of how the dealerships work with headquarters to troubleshoot and such. Dealer doesn't want to risk their own money and be wrong and not covered and put the responsibility on Hyundai... So, they tend to become parts changers directed by who pays or not... That doesn't mean the techs can do their own troubleshooting and such though, probably has to do with the levels of risk and experience... The comment about checking the pins and such to see if there is the right command or not is a real good one. If they change the end of the line items (pumps) and still no go then this would surely be their next area I would think. Yes, it would seem that a GDS could command the pumps on to see if they work or not without this guessing or following a flow chart.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yep...I was hoping to originally get a diagnosis code by utilizing the self diagnosis flow chart below, but it wouldn't work.
Here is a video showing a similar self-diagnosis in a Hyundai vehicle:

Sorry, it doesn't allow me to turn the pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You are aware that Hybrid has 2 cooling system.... 1 for engine - HVAC,,,, 2nd for inverter - HSG cooling

The only job this pump has is to circulate coolant for inverter, HSG, and Hybrid radiator

-----------------------------------------------

This is the electric pump for engine coolant - HVAC,, pic is taken under car with frame out,, as I was replacing auto trans in this car

Just changed my transmission fluid today and took a good look at that pump from under the chassis with the plastic under-body panels out and it is in such a bad spot to get at from underneath unless the part of the frame is out as in the picture SBR provided. I guess it has to be done mostly from above, contorting around the ABS and such. What a mess.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Ok all fixed and I have heat in EV mode now!
First of all:
THANKS TO ALL HERE WHO HELPED ME WITH SUGGESTIONS AND ADVICE, ESPECIALLY SBR who private messaged me with suggestions and helped out a ton, it is much appreciated.
The part came in just yesterday and they got me in at 1pm today and I was out by 3pm with two new pumps courtesy of Hyundai, didn't have to pay a penny. I have no idea how the tech contorted and got that pump out because it looks like a nightmare to do. There is no way that the HVAC water pump is part of the powertrain, at least in my eyes, but they covered it and the brand new hybrid pump too, over $1300 in parts alone, not including labor. On top of that not only was my car washed, but the engine bay was detailed too. In retrospect, I am glad that they changed the wrong pump at first, even though it took an extra trip to do because now I have 2 new OEM pumps and new hoses also. I will be stopping by next week with a nice spread for the crew that helped me out and saved me a bunch of cash today.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Excellent result vinnyg, i learned a lot about the hybrid water pump circuitry during this thread, hope it's info I never need to work on my own car but its nice knowledge to have and to share.

Also nice to hear that your dealer did right by you, sounds like you have a fine shop there that takes care of its customers.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Excellent result vinnyg, i learned a lot about the hybrid water pump circuitry during this thread, hope it's info I never need to work on my own car but its nice knowledge to have and to share.

Also nice to hear that your dealer did right by you, sounds like you have a fine shop there that takes care of its customers.
Yes, hopefully this helps others out who may search the forum in the future with a similar heat issue. It is great that the dealer got things sorted out for me, and all under warranty as it was just about to expire too. I dropped off a six foot hero for the crew there Monday morning, and they were thankful that I acknowledged their assistance.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just a quick addition to help others who may be having the heater problem like I did. This video shows a good view of the aux heater at around the 16:50 mark so you have a better idea of the location.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts