Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a heads up for all you people living in the country, especially in the winter.

Coming home last Weds night from a nearby club, all of a sudden I heard a loud noise louder then the cranked up radio, I thought I dropped the muffler? Muting the radio, it was coming from under the dashboard. It was the heater fan, so I slowed it down and heard that old familiar sound of something in the fan blades, clack, clacking along. I tried shutting it off, & on, a few times to clear it, but no luck so being I was not far from home I kept it on low for heat. How can this happen with only 12k miles on the vehicle?

Anyway, I couldn't get to the dealer right away, there was too much going on in my life, so I was forced to not use the fan, unless really needed. I finally called the dealer Sat. for a 2pm Monday afternoon appt. I had 3 Drs. appts Monday early in the next town so couldn't get there sooner. In the meantime, the fan stopped working on all but the highest speed (4th). I had some heat coming in from natural ventilation once the car warmed up, and if I needed a quick high temp blast, I'd put it on high for a short while. By this time, the fan stopped making noise, but still only had high speed. Thankfully I didn't need to use it much, or for defrosting, but at least for the little I needed it, it was there.

Here's what they found, at first the service writer told me I needed a heater switch, I said of course, But it was making noise, check that out! He said okay, and that I was due for an oil change I said, no I did that at 6k miles, it has Mobil one in it, then said I was overdue for a tire rotation, I said yeah, how much? he said $20, I said ok, do it.

The mechanic came over with a slightly dinged up fan, and found Acorns chopped up, & lodged in it!?
I asked if he was gonna replace it with a new fan, he said no, it's still good, but if you need to in the future we could do it, I said ok,,, he went to check further, then came back a few minutes later with what looked like mattress stuffing? on top of what appeared to be the cabin air filter,,, Rodent nesting!
He noticed that a rodent chewed thru the filter, which caused the acorns to fall into the fan, creating all the Havoc!,,,lol, then he said it's $25 for a new filter, I said ok do it, he mentioned it should be replaced at 15k anyway, and I was a smoker so it should be replaced anyway now at 12k miles, I said fine.

I figured that there was a cabin filter in there anyway somewhere (as I easily removed the glove compartment to confirm where the noise was coming from, and to try to fix the issue myself before calling the dealer, but I wasn't sure what the filter looked like or how to get the filter out? it's easy to do both once you know how, just like my previous 2005 Tucson)

There is a plastic knob inside, on both sides of the glove box, you just turn them about a 1/4 turn, & they pop out, then the glove box drops down, next you just pop off the plastic arm on the post sticking out on the right side, and Walla the glove box cover is out of the way. Right above the fan is approx. 1" high by 9" wide plastic cover, you just squeeze the right side by the arrows on it, then it pops out, and a tab slides out of where it tucks in on the left, then just pull out the somewhat square approx 8" filter, it looks like a small flat paper air filter and maybe you can even make up your own homemade filter as they've done on another forum for the 1st generation Tucson.

After searching all over the black plastic cowling grille, I could not find a way that a rodent got in, but there is a slightly bigger small hole on both ends of it where it meets the firewall, so maybe that's where?

Anyway, the bottom line is to close the Air Recirculation button on the dashboard when you park the car, it closes a little door leading into the fan, & heating/ventilating/defrosting ducts, hopefully keeping varmints out :)

And, I don't know if anyone read my horn replacement post where I found a cache of stored Acorns in the air filter box under the air filter (more rodents, varmints) and posted pix,,, but a suggestion here is to add moth balls, or chlorox bathroom tabs, here is another pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Dec 7 2010, 03:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377674
Here's a heads up for all you people living in the country, especially in the winter.

Coming home last Weds night from a nearby club, all of a sudden I heard a loud noise louder then the cranked up radio, I thought I dropped the muffler? Muting the radio, it was coming from under the dashboard. It was the heater fan, so I slowed it down and heard that old familiar sound of something in the fan blades, clack, clacking along. I tried shutting it off, & on, a few times to clear it, but no luck so being I was not far from home I kept it on low for heat. How can this happen with only 12k miles on the vehicle?

Anyway, I couldn't get to the dealer right away, there was too much going on in my life, so I was forced to not use the fan, unless really needed. I finally called the dealer Sat. for a 2pm Monday afternoon appt. I had 3 Drs. appts Monday early in the next town so couldn't get there sooner. In the meantime, the fan stopped working on all but the highest speed (4th). I had some heat coming in from natural ventilation once the car warmed up, and if I needed a quick high temp blast, I'd put it on high for a short while. By this time, the fan stopped making noise, but still only had high speed. Thankfully I didn't need to use it much, or for defrosting, but at least for the little I needed it, it was there.

Here's what they found, at first the service writer told me I needed a heater switch, I said of course, But it was making noise, check that out! He said okay, and that I was due for an oil change I said, no I did that at 6k miles, it has Mobil one in it, then said I was overdue for a tire rotation, I said yeah, how much? he said $20, I said ok, do it.

The mechanic came over with a slightly dinged up fan, and found Acorns chopped up, & lodged in it!?
I asked if he was gonna replace it with a new fan, he said no, it's still good, but if you need to in the future we could do it, I said ok,,, he went to check further, then came back a few minutes later with what looked like mattress stuffing? on top of what appeared to be the cabin air filter,,, Rodent nesting!
He noticed that a rodent chewed thru the filter, which caused the acorns to fall into the fan, creating all the Havoc!,,,lol, then he said it's $25 for a new filter, I said ok do it, he mentioned it should be replaced at 15k anyway, and I was a smoker so it should be replaced anyway now at 12k miles, I said fine.

I figured that there was a cabin filter in there anyway somewhere (as I easily removed the glove compartment to confirm where the noise was coming from, and to try to fix the issue myself before calling the dealer, but I wasn't sure what the filter looked like or how to get the filter out? it's easy to do both once you know how, just like my previous 2005 Tucson)

There is a plastic knob inside, on both sides of the glove box, you just turn them about a 1/4 turn, & they pop out, then the glove box drops down, next you just pop off the plastic arm on the post sticking out on the right side, and Walla the glove box cover is out of the way. Right above the fan is approx. 1" high by 9" wide plastic cover, you just squeeze the right side by the arrows on it, then it pops out, and a tab slides out of where it tucks in on the left, then just pull out the somewhat square approx 8" filter, it looks like a small flat paper air filter and maybe you can even make up your own homemade filter as they've done on another forum for the 1st generation Tucson.

After searching all over the black plastic cowling grille, I could not find a way that a rodent got in, but there is a slightly bigger small hole on both ends of it where it meets the firewall, so maybe that's where?

Anyway, the bottom line is to close the Air Recirculation button on the dashboard when you park the car, it closes a little door leading into the fan, & heating/ventilating/defrosting ducts, hopefully keeping varmints out :)

And, I don't know if anyone read my horn replacement post where I found a cache of stored Acorns in the air filter box under the air filter (more rodents, varmints) and posted pix,,, but a suggestion here is to add moth balls, or chlorox bathroom tabs, here is another pic:
Yeah mice suck.... I had an old Dodge Ram 50 pickup (really a rebranded mistubishi) I had to make a wire screen over the air inlet for the air breather... I found dog food in it... the mice were taking the food from my dogs bowl...

also, you said you replaced your horns??? I really need to install a louder horn... how/what did you do?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (kendawg @ Dec 8 2010, 09:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378112
Yeah mice suck.... I had an old Dodge Ram 50 pickup (really a rebranded mistubishi) I had to make a wire screen over the air inlet for the air breather... I found dog food in it... the mice were taking the food from my dogs bowl...

also, you said you replaced your horns??? I really need to install a louder horn... how/what did you do?

Here you go ken from an earlier post here, http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t55075-horn-replacement.htm it was easy, the hardest part was making up the jumper wires with female spades for both horns, & splicing them in

These horns are just okay, but I'd recommend the next step up better model, electric twin horns with the longer trumpet design.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Interesting info post, and not surprised...we fight the **** in the Mtn house, all year long.
The mothball in a tray trick has been only mildly successful. Our last two cats were put down,
at ages 19 & 20, so the Open sign is on, lol!

I will check out the re-circ deal; I assume it is the Outside air situ that allows for a slight opening
the mice are squeezing through?

Tire rotation? Right up there with 3k mile oil changes, imo, but different opins are good, lol!
Glad it was simple and not a fan blower motor...
GL, mD

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (motordavid @ Dec 9 2010, 10:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378227
Interesting info post, and not surprised...we fight the **** in the Mtn house, all year long.
The mothball in a tray trick has been only mildly successful. Our last two cats were put down,
at ages 19 & 20, so the Open sign is on, lol!

I will check out the re-circ deal; I assume it is the Outside air situ that allows for a slight opening
the mice are squeezing through?

Tire rotation? Right up there with 3k mile oil changes, imo, but different opins are good, lol!
Glad it was simple and not a fan blower motor...
GL, mD

Maybe because my car is green the little rodents think it's a tree,,,lol

As far as I know, when put on recirculate there is a door that closes on the firewall, I was able to see it when the mechanic shined his light thru from the fan housing. I haven't checked that yet to see if it normally stays closed with the car off, I should be able to see thru the cowling grill with the sun, or a bright light to tell.

I'm now a believer in tire rotation, on my previous 2005Tucson LX 4WD it was at the body shop after a deer ran into us when my wife was driving at 13k miles. A good glancing hit, but no real serious damage it was mostly front end plastic, but the bumper was hanging. Well we dropped it off, and were surprised when the body shop guy called us back shortly afterward, saying we needed tires! Tires? At only 13k miles? I thought he was kidding? This I gotta see!,,, Sure enough the front tires were down to the wear indicators! 3/32nds :eek: and the rear tires were not much better about 6/32nds! :blink: They were pretty worn, but perfectly even all around?

I should have known this was a sign of future issues. Anyway, after a few calls, & an inspection to confirm these wear figures by a local tire dealer affiliated with BF Goodrich, they offered us new tires (any upgrade) for only 25% front, & 35% rear of the reg. price. With the stipulation they rotate the tires every 6k, & confirm I kept 32lbs in the tires at all times (no charge), I happily agreed. I had BFGoodrich traction T/A "spec" tires originally, cheap but not bad, but not so good in the snow. I picked their Best BFGoodrich (60k mile rated) traction T/A H-series tire, and low, & behold 27k miles later they were done! :(
Needless to say, next I went to Cooper tires, (70k mile rated), they were done before 30k miles, it seems no matter what brand, or type tire I put on this vehicle, they were done at 30k miles or less, even with me closely watching the tire pressure, & getting them rotated every 6k miles. As much as we loved that Tucson, I was very dissapointed by 2 things, 1st the gas mileage never got over 24mpg, and even that was a rare occurence, in fact it was usually only 20-22 Max, in town or on the highway.
2nd the way it went thru tires, even though they wore out evenly?

The ironic part is, on my previous 2002 Santa Fe LX 4WD, I got 20-24mpg around town, & 24-30 on the hiway!, & put 87k miles on the orig tires, kidding my wife, I said: "Either we put new tires on this car before winter, or get a new car?",,,lol. That's when we traded,,, er!,,,Up? for the 2005 Tucson

Knowing what I know now, I would never have done this, I would have kept my Santa Fe till the wheels fell off.

Next Part 2 of the dealer service:

They called on Weds (2days later) to say they had the heater speed control switch in stock already, and we set up an appt for 10:30am Thurs.

I was abit concerned about being charged for the repair, because it cost me $82 originally, (Being not covered by the warrantee) due to the car not being defective, but my little yard rodents causing havoc! but that wasn't too bad considering the tire rotation $20, and the cabin filter $25, plus taxes, & labor (which they were nice enough to take 15% off for being a loyal customer). It was well worth it to save me the trouble of doing this rotation, fan diagnosis, & labor myself.

To top it all off, I was there this time about an hour, and looked over, & saw them washing my car? Then they called me over to the cashier, saying the car was done,,, I was a bit nervous, because nobody mentioned money, but too my pleasant surprise, there was No Charge! Plus, my car was washed, & detailed inside, & out! Talk about a pleasant surprise! :thumbsup: I thanked them & wished them all a Merry Christmas when I left. So, IMO after hearing a lot of dealer horror stories, right from the beginning after all, I can praise, & reccomend this dealer. Franklin -Sussix Hyundai, in Sussix NJ

·
Registered
316 Posts
MikDee...
thank you for the update and info.
I don't run HVAC on reicirc, so maybe it will be one less opening for the vermin
to get in, once we are back at our Mtn home.

Nice freebie on the fix!

I don't rotate tires, as I don't trust the tire jockeys to rip off the lugs and
run them on with the air impact wrench, usually not using "limiters". And,
few have ever heard of/use a torque setting on lug bolts. And, 2 of my
3 cars have staggered wheel/tire sizes, so it's a moot point for me.

I skip the dlr's wash too. All my cars & scoots get hand washed, by me.
If mine were a lease, I wouldn't care, but the typical wash rack guy at
most dlrs is the entry level part timer with dirty mitts, etc. Different strokes...
Good outcome, though.
BR, mD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts