Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Sonata V6 with around 187,000km/116,000 miles on it and I am having two problems 1) I am losing coolant but the mechanic couldn't find any leaks, and I think I can smell coolant when I turn the heat on. 2) When I turn the heater fan on high (#4), it doesn't blow air consistently at the same rate. Sometimes the air coming through the events blows at a lower rate when the car is stopped, than when the car is in motion.

Is my first problem caused my a leaking heater core, and is my second problem caused by a faulty blower motor?

This is the first Hyundai I have owned. I bought the car used 6 months ago.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Look more specifically first for low overflow bottle.. then proceed onto opening the radiator only when cool to cold.. feel radiator has for pressure first..

look at the upper and lower radiator hoses, mainly where they attach to fittings at rear of engine (thermostat and cross over pipe joints).... DO YOU see crusty growth out the ends of the hoses to the joints ? Yes ?? there is a good part of your seepage /leak over time and source of smell..

Replace the upper and lower hoses, 116 USA miles, they good for replacement.. clean the fittings to bare aluminum, dont want the crusty junk that'll keep new hose from sealing, and use (4) #20 hose clamps for re-assemble,, the factory spring clamps on old joints will leak on you... been there,, done that,, we dont even use the new spring clamps that come with the new hoses at dealer here..

·
22,788 Posts
^^^ Plus 1 on the clamp recommendation. Spring clamps? No sir... I'm not the factory assembly line where cars are hurling past me at break neck production speeds. I can afford the extra few seconds it takes to install a proper clamp on those hoses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts