Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always been extremely of whether or not the heated windshield exists since I don't see any wires in the glass or cables or anything like I see on the Subaru's. I'm the kind of guy who has to believe it to see it. WELL I SAW IT AND IT IS GOOD :D

Works pretty well too BUT, you have to have windshield defrost on and it automatically comes off if you set climate control to Auto. Also, it comes off after a few mins which as we all know is not always adequate as a lot of the winter conditions in the Northern U.S. and Canada need this to be on for more than 10 mins or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
There would have to be electrical connections or it's just the HVAC venting. Look for a fuse feed.

The late 90's Chysler vans had heating around the wipers , the tracing is always visible on an electric windshields I have seen.
Makes for an expensive windshield replacement , like antenna mounted windshields, so there are draw backs.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The wiring on my 2010 Santa Fe was virtually invisible but it was there. It's far more evident on my sister's Forester.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The wiring is at the bottom of the windshield and it comes out on the bottom side of the drivers side of the windshield. I just had a new front windshield put in yesterday at my house and I watched him replace it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can tell you it was a mistake that they made it activated by windshield defrost button. When its really cold and you need it the most you get no heat in the cabin other than the defrost blower, this can make for very cold legs and feet. Previous models tied it to the rear defrost switch along with the side mirror defrost. One button activated all your electric defrost and was a much better idea.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Agree with you badbird. My 09 Sonata had tied to rear and mirror defrost. Wonder if there would be a simple way to rewire it. Wiring experts please chime in!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just want to ask is the side mirror defrost still tied to rear defrost now or changed to front defrost as well?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The mirrors and windshield are heated. I did not know There is nothing on my side mirrors stating they are heated.. hmm going to check that out tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree with you badbird. My 09 Sonata had tied to rear and mirror defrost. Wonder if there would be a simple way to rewire it. Wiring experts please chime in!
No need to rewire it. I'll bet its a setting you can change with the software used to program the ECU.

For my Audi we use VAG-COM. It allows me to program many of the comfort and convenience features. You can even add some that NEVER come with the stock Audi's. For example, using vag com, I was able to set the windows to go up and down by holding down the lock or unlock button on my key fob.

If this kind of customization is available in a 2002 car then you can bet your bald spot that it's available on a 2013. The only problem is, no one has bothered to make software compatible with the computer in the SF.... YET. I'm sure it is just a matter of time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most likely yes although I can't verify that to you. Ask them and they'll say no but then again my Audi dealership also denied that they had that capability only for me to find out that they actually do.

We all know today's cars are computers on wheels with more processing power than the first space shuttle so trust me, there IS a way to program this into the computer but right now, the only ones who have the hardware to connect your car to a laptop and the software to interface with the Santa Fe's computer are the dealership and their techs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mirrors are heated :) another cool feature I didn't know I had. It wasn't even marketed, i guess it's standard now. Shows that I have driving old cars for a long time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can anyone from the US verify that a 2013 Santa Fe Sport FWD (not AWD) model actually has heated windshield? My windshield is cracked (see other topic thread) and dealer says my windshield is heated, but I see no heating elements and the windshield (even in defrost mode) has never melted anything off that portion of the windshield. I have FWD which Hyundai said in marketing materials doesn't have the heated windshield in the US, hence my question.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Can anyone from the US verify that a 2013 Santa Fe Sport FWD (not AWD) model actually has heated windshield? My windshield is cracked (see other topic thread) and dealer says my windshield is heated, but I see no heating elements and the windshield (even in defrost mode) has never melted anything off that portion of the windshield. I have FWD which Hyundai said in marketing materials doesn't have the heated windshield in the US, hence my question.
It depends on your package (vehicle that is) :eek:..... PEP includes heated mirrors & windshield- activated via the front window defrost button. If you remote start and are in auto for climate control it defaults to that and you won't heat the glass. I'm in the US, w/ 2013, 2.4L, FWD with PEP & Leather PEP.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I mean I sat idling for about 5-7 mins this morning when i check this heated mirror thing I did not feel the windshield heating up. the defroster was blowing on it but the glass was not warm to the touch like the mirrors were.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My guess is that if your mirrors are heated and it says on your purchasing documentation that you indeed have a heated windshield then you probably do. The next time you have a chance, turn on the front defrost and then throw some snow on the lowest part of the windshield where your wipers are. The snow should show obvious signs of melting like what you see in my picture. If you don't see that then your heated windshield is damaged or non existent. Make sure the package you bought has a heated windshield so you can take this up with the dealer if need be.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a fullyloaded 2.4L SFS (US version of course) and it has the heated front windshield. Like I said, I just replaced my front windshield and saw it firsthand.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts