Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so we've got a 2013 SF XL and it seems to me that the heated wheel and seats take an awful long time to heat up. I would say at temps around -15C (5F) it takes around 15mins for me to notice anything, around -24C (-11F) it took nearly 25mins. I'm wondering if this is normal or if something could be wrong, so let me know what your experiences are if you live a colder climate.

Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My steering wheel heater only takes a few minutes to get HOT. Seats take a little longer, but not anywherenear 15 minutes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Steering wheel is very fast to heat up ,the front seats are not very good in the cold .The rear seats on the other hand are electric ,so they heat up faster-very good My wife does not like front vented seats verses her old electric ones

·
Registered
196 Posts
Steering wheel is very fast to heat up ,the front seats are not very good in the cold .The rear seats on the other hand are electric ,so they heat up faster-very good My wife does not like front vented seats verses her old electric ones
I forgot to think about the different options. My seats aren't vented in the US, so my seat heating experience will be different.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'd say steering wheel takes 1 minute and seats take less than 5 minutes, especially on high. I gotta put it on low quickly or it starts burning my butt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wheel heater & Seats

Steering wheel is comfortable after a min. or 2. After 10 min at -5 I shut it off.Seats work as well as any I have ever owned (7 GM -2 Hyundai) Like the 3 temps on seats. Just wonder if wheel heater will dry and peel leather on wheel in time. We will see.

·
Registered
237 Posts
During the recent cold snap we had in VA, when it got down to 8F, the steering wheel heated up in about 90 seconds, and the seats, in about 3 or 4 minutes. Perfectly acceptable to me.

As an aside, I wish the steering wheel warmer was adjustable like the seats. It gets REALLY hot. I usually have to turn it off after a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
... the steering wheel heated up in about 90 seconds, and the seats, in about 3 or 4 minutes. Perfectly acceptable to me.

As an aside, I wish the steering wheel warmer was adjustable like the seats. It gets REALLY hot. I usually have to turn it off after a few minutes.
+ 1

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is my first time with heated seats (2014 Sonata). Loved the feature when I test drove, still like it but...I am wondering how much of the seat is heated? As in, the middle section is warm and toasty, but the seat touching the outside edges of my legs are cold. So it feels weird having warm in the middle hugged by cold on the edges. Is this normal? I'm not an abnormally large person, so it's not like my legs are hanging off the edge of the seat. Just wondering if this is something I should have checked out. Kind of ruins the warming effect to have those cold strips down the sides of my legs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for letting me know guys, it seems the consensus is that the steering wheel should be noticeably hot within a couple minutes...for us, sometimes it seems better than others, although we have had a pretty good cold snap up here. Might get the dealership to check it out either way.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I guess you may also take longer to notice it getting hot if you're wearing gloves. If I'm not wearing I can really feel it warm in less than a minute. But with thin gloves on it takes several minutes before I can feel the heat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agreed. Just picked up a 2016 SFS Limited and the heated steering wheel is brutal. It's not even cold yet and I can barely notice the heat. It's not so much the time it takes to "heat" up, but rather how low the temp setting is on the steering wheel. It gets luke warm ... if that.

We also have a Dodge Grand Caravan .... now that's a heated steering wheel. Hands are toasty warm. Wheel gets 'hot' ... very comfortable.

WARNING : don't buy a Hyundai if you are expecting to have integrated auto-start and seat-warmers. They don't have the technology in 2016, like every other car manufacturer does, to have the heated seats turn on automatically when used with an auto-start. Disappointing. Regret my purchase 100% and will probably go back to North American made vehicles.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Agreed. Just picked up a 2016 SFS Limited and the heated steering wheel is brutal. It's not even cold yet and I can barely notice the heat. It's not so much the time it takes to "heat" up, but rather how low the temp setting is on the steering wheel. It gets luke warm ... if that.

We also have a Dodge Grand Caravan .... now that's a heated steering wheel. Hands are toasty warm. Wheel gets 'hot' ... very comfortable.

WARNING : don't buy a Hyundai if you are expecting to have integrated auto-start and seat-warmers. They don't have the technology in 2016, like every other car manufacturer does, to have the heated seats turn on automatically when used with an auto-start. Disappointing. Regret my purchase 100% and will probably go back to North American made vehicles.
Brutal? Really? My 2013 is just fine. I have to turn my heater off after a several minutes. I don't understand the need to have scorching hot seats and steering wheel. All I want is to knock the cold out and mine do that just fine. Have you brought it to the dealer to confirm there is not an issue?

To regret your purchase because of a seat heater that does not come on, seems a little much. Perhaps your priorities are different than mine but, do all the positives of this vehicle don't matter whatsoever? It would seem they must if you bought the car!!! And did you not do any research on this important feature BEFORE you laid out some $40K+ for this vehicle?

And by the way, it can be done....do a search...someone posted a solution in this or the Sport forum by using a relay of some sort.

Just seems like a very harsh post for one feature, and considering you could have avoided it by simply buying not buying a SF and getting yourself a new Caravan in the first place! Yeesh!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Bumping this thread back up as I hardly use my front heated seats but winter is here so I figured I'll use it. Steering wheel heated up quite fast but I barely feel any heat at the bottom of the seat whereas the back is somehow warm, it also took well over 10 min to warm up and its not even that cold outside yet and this is the max where all 3 lights are on. I don't need to have it so hot to burn my ass but was hoping at least to have it warm enough, this really bothers me as this is first vehicle that I complaint about the heated seats not being hot enough. My previous 2011 Kia Optima heated seats was hot after 10 min I had to bring it down to 1 light, I'm bringing it to the dealer next week to have a look but I already know the answer like it's working as it should be and that would be it, **** stealership lol.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
On my 2015 SFS I can feel the heated seat, both the cushion and the back, in no more than 2-3 minutes. The cushion seems to heat faster and hotter but they are a fairly close match. I usually have to turn it either off or down by five minutes because it is too hot for my taste. I do not have the heated steering wheel and I am not sure I personally see the need for that option. I am sure I would use it if it were there but it isn't something I would go out of my way to make sure I had. Now the heated seats....ABSOLUTELY! We can hit temperatures to -20 degrees on some winters and even on more normal days in the zero to 55 degree ranges I may kick the heaters on and I can feel the heat very quickly. That makes it much nicer than waiting for the air in the cabin to heat.

The huge disclaimer in this discussion is of course that everyone's taste is different, everyone's perception of hot versus cold is different, and the clothes we wear will make a difference in how quickly we feel those heated seats and how hot they may seem to get.

Heated seats are also a delicate balancing act for the manufacturer because they have to take all of those variables into account and still create a system that works reasonably well for most people, doesn't draw way too many amps, and doesn't damage the seat cover or cushion in the process. I know that last part sounds odd, but GM was darn near setting seats on fires with some of their heated seats a few years ago. They detuned them a bit to solve that issue and then folks started complaining that they did not heat up fast enough or get warm enough. GM also matched the heaters and the seat covers so that when there was no one seated there would be an air gap between the heater and the cover. That way on a remote start where the heaters would automatically turn on they could not overheat and damage the seat. Once a person sits in the seat the cover will begin to warm. Thus even on a remote start where the heaters turn on automatically the seat cover may still feel cold or at least not hot when the driver enters the vehicle. Again...This all varies by year, model, seating options, etc...

Reactions: DINO2K

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well said sir and I agreed but this SF heated seats are crappy compared to my other vehicles and that I know lol. Thank you for your input though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Timed my seats just for grins and giggles. At 2:30 give or take a few seconds I either turn it off or down to the low setting. That was from as cold as 35 degrees through the overnight hours.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Edited in next post.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts