Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of yesterday, my car has been at the dealership for three weeks! When I called my service advisor, he told me that multiple engineers have been looking at my car. They can’t isolate the issue and have decided to just replace the engine but are waiting for Hyundai to approve this. So I was curious, for all you HSH drivers out there, would you accept this compromise? I’m not sure how I feel about getting a new engine installed in my car. It would fix one of the noises. The other noise is not engine related. I know this because the noise starts up right when I push the On button. I don’t hear the engine and I actually believe the noise is coming from the electric motor.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think I'd clarify what they mean by "engine." I would suspect they may be replacing the powertrain, to include the transmission, and the electric motor sits inside the transmission; just impossible to know exactly what they mean, particularly on a hybrid, when they just say "engine."

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'd clarify what they mean by "engine." I would suspect they may be replacing the powertrain, to include the transmission, and the electric motor sits inside the transmission; just impossible to know exactly what they mean, particularly on a hybrid, when they just say "engine."
From what the service advisor told me, they are waiting on approval to replace just engine and nothing else. Everything else stays put as far as electric motor, transmission, etc.

·
Registered
740 Posts
From your other post you have a '16 with 28K miles. Overall I wouldn't be happy that the car needed a new engine but I'd be glad they are replacing it if there were no other options that would be beneficial to me. I'd feel much better if the car had 75k miles and was getting a fresh engine under warranty.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From your other post you have a '16 with 28K miles. Overall I wouldn't be happy that the car needed a new engine but I'd be glad they are replacing it if there were no other options that would be beneficial to me. I'd feel much better if the car had 75k miles and was getting a fresh engine under warranty.
Yea I’m not too happy about this whole deal. I mean, it’s nice they are replacing the engine, but I think that’s half the solution to my problems with the car. I feel that one of the noises is unrelated to the actual engine. I just feel this car is a defect all around. I have issues with the digital speedometer not matching up with the analog speedometer (off by 3mph. Not a huge issue, but still), the car will jerk into gear first thing in the morning. Feels like there is a hesitation going from 1st to 2nd gear. When it finally gets to 2nd gear, there is a noticeable jerk. Then there’s the issue with the cruise control. Sometimes while I set the cruise to 75, I’ll look down at my gauge to see my car actually surpassing 80 and into 81 mph. It doesn’t happen all the time, but it does happen. Also, the dealership is difficult to work with as they tend to shrug these issues off. After all, they don’t need to drive my car every day like I do, so no big deal on their part.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My car also has a hesitation going from 1st to 2nd gear. It does it once as I start to drive up the street in the morning and that's it. It feels like I pushed the clutch in quick while driving a standard. I mentioned it to the dealer but don't want to leave the car overnight with hopes of the technician maybe experience the problem the next morning so I just live with it.

Reactions: JKK

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car also has a hesitation going from 1st to 2nd gear. It does it once as I start to drive up the street in the morning and that's it. It feels like I pushed the clutch in quick while driving a standard. I mentioned it to the dealer but don't want to leave the car overnight with hopes of the technician maybe experience the problem the next morning so I just live with it.
I too just live it. It’s not really an issue, BUT, I imagine later down the road it will become an issue. Like when the car turns 6 or 7 years old.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mine does the same thing! So, it sounds like an inherent issue. I'm just living with it as well since there is no solution so far, but do worry that will be a problem down the road.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine does the same thing! So, it sounds like an inherent issue. I'm just living with it as well since there is no solution so far, but do worry that will be a problem down the road.
Oh yea. I’d be concerned that the transmission gives out at the ten year mark.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another update:
Hyundai corporate called to tell me the engine was in fact being replaced. Apparently they found large amounts of metal shavings in the oil. My car is looking to be at the dealership another two to four weeks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mixed bag of bad and good news. If this doesn't solve all the problems as you've mentioned then you always pursue and qualify for a buy back. Large amounts of metal shavings? Not good.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mixed bag of bad and good news. If this doesn't solve all the problems as you've mentioned then you always pursue and qualify for a buy back. Large amounts of metal shavings? Not good.
Yea and it appears they are looking into it maybe being an issue with that year hybrid. Nothing solid yet.

·
Registered
559 Posts
One of these? https://www.caranddriver.com/news/hyundai-and-kia-recall-1-2-million-cars-for-engine-failures

"Included are the 2013–2014 Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe, 2011–2013 Kia Sportage, 2011–2014 Optima, and 2012–2014 Sorento."

"In September 2015, Hyundai recalled 470,000 Sonata sedans from 2011 and 2012 for this exact problem and extended the powertrain warranty from the original-owner 10-year/100,000-mile contract to 120,000 miles, which would cover all subsequent owners."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts