Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, started tearing apart my engine today. 4 cyl. 2.0 liter My question is, I pulled off valve cover off to pull the head off.. I'm having a tough time getting them hex bolts out.. I assume its the right bolts.. I think there were 3 of them (10mm Hex).. does this sound the like right bolts that need to come out..
My next question was, if you have any idea.. how many bolts hold the tranny on to the engine? they seem to vary in size to.. anywhere from 14mm to 17mm.. I'm pretty sure I'm pulling the right ones. Thanks guys

Mike

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Take the head off as a whole,,,, (10) bolts hold head to block... you'll need a 8mm hex bit socket for (8) of the bolts, and a 10mm bit for the last (2) bolts... replace the bolts with new, and run tap in holes to clean so new bolts have smooth torque application.

Trans, (4) with 17mm head, (4) with 14mm head at bottom, (2) for starter with 14mm head, and (4) with 17mm head through starter hole to unbolt torqur converter from drive plate, and (1) 10mm headed bolt there by the crank sensor.oil switch that holds wiring bracket to bellhousing..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 9 2010, 07:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321278
Take the head off as a whole,,,, (10) bolts hold head to block... you'll need a 8mm hex bit socket for (8) of the bolts, and a 10mm bit for the last (2) bolts... replace the bolts with new, and run tap in holes to clean so new bolts have smooth torque application.

Trans, (4) with 17mm head, (4) with 14mm head at bottom, (2) for starter with 14mm head, and (4) with 17mm head through starter hole to unbolt torqur converter from drive plate, and (1) 10mm headed bolt there by the crank sensor.oil switch that holds wiring bracket to bellhousing..

great info thanks alot. Also, before I pull the head, someone told me to mark the gears or something so I don't screw up the timing.. or should I not worry about it at this point?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 9 2010, 07:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321278

holy balls, I can't get the motor seperated from the tranny.. anyone help?

I have all the bolts out.. the back of the tranny to the engine is separated.. there's just seems like 1 more bolts somewhere in the front is holding it together.. dont see possibly where it could be.. its so **** close.. we were prying like crazy to separate them.. just won't come off though.. anyone have a drawing?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You will need to remove the pulleys from front of engine to get as much seperation as possible and the A/C compressor from block, leave lines atached so you do not have to fart with evac/recharge..

Then from there it is a floor jack under the trans to support it, and a long pry bar screwdriver to open gap between bellhousing and block to allow drive plate to escape bellhousing.. you did remove the 4 bolts holding torque converter to drive plate and push the torque converter into the trans that wee bit it will let you..... correct ? The nub on the converter might be stuck in tail end of crank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 11 2010, 09:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321962
You will need to remove the pulleys from front of engine to get as much seperation as possible and the A/C compressor from block, leave lines atached so you do not have to fart with evac/recharge..

Then from there it is a floor jack under the trans to support it, and a long pry bar screwdriver to open gap between bellhousing and block to allow drive plate to escape bellhousing.. you did remove the 4 bolts holding torque converter to drive plate and push the torque converter into the trans that wee bit it will let you..... correct ? The nub on the converter might be stuck in tail end of crank.
yeah I totally got rid of my A/C lol condensor was shot... I'm just eliminating it.. don't need it Buffalo anyways. our hottest summer day is lucky to hit 75 degrees. lol..... but yes, I got the 4 bolts that goto the drive plate.. the nub you say, can If I move the crank a little bit either forward or backwards, you think it'll release it? yeah I have a good 1 inch gap in the back of the motor and tranny.. just one little spot in the front right by the tranny mount that doesn't want to release.. looks so close.. You had mention about putting a jack under the tranny to support it, do I need to remove that mount? it doesn't look like I would have to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quick update. Motor is out. Pulled out relatively easy. Straight shot out. Thanks for the help. There was **** bolt hidden on me. Was located under the tranny mount. Grrrr.. I got it though. Thanks again!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts