Hyundai Forums banner

Headrest too far forward?

36K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  Janice66 
#1 ·
I know it's adjustable to move up and down as well as back and forth, but does anyone else feel like the headrest is still too far forward when it's adjusted all the way forward?

#3 ·
What I realized is that the headrest can be pushed forward without pressing the button, whereas you need to press the button to push it back. My son was putting his foot up on the rear of my headrest and causing it to move forward gradually without me knowing. If I do keep it all the way back, the headrest seems ok...just need to keep it from sliding forward without me knowing. I wish you had to press the button to push it forward...seems a little annoying.

#4 ·
Head Rest too far forward!

Yes, my wife and I have been testing out the 2013 SFs. While I (6'0") was OK, she (5'2") could not find a comfortable headrest position. At the farthest back setting, it was still too far out ... her upper back/shoulders could not rest against the seat back without bending her neck forward. I think Hyundai's ergonomics department dropped the ball on this one.

We were ready to purchase our SF but this was a deal breaker!!

Hyundai People,I hope u are taking notes. I sent u an email about a possible fix. If u can fix it, I will buy the SF.

#5 ·
I will say that after a month of owning the Santa Fe, we've gotten used to the headrest and having the seat reclined just a bit more so it doesn't protrude forward as much. Regardless, it DEFINITELY needs to move back more than it already does.

#7 ·
After having my SFS for a couple of months, I've also noticed that the headrest is too far forward and moves forward too easily. It's not a huge deal, but I'd prefer a few positions back further and that it not move unless the button was depressed. I wonder if it's meant to move forward on it's own in the event of a front end crash.

#21 ·
I too find that the head rest is too far forward, especially for my wife who is 5 ft 2 in. I jammed hers back with a small piece of wood at both pipes so that it cannot be pushed forward by passengers hitting it while getting out of the car. This has resolved 80% if the issue but it could be even better if one could straighten the pipes which would be a big improvement but they are not easily straightened. I have not been able to figure out how to remove the two support pipes from the head rest so that they could be heated and then possibly straightened.

#12 ·
My wife and I have been talking about this topic for some time, but I never thought to post it until someone else did! We're not too tall and our heads go up to the halfway point of the headrest and it really feels like its way too far forward. There is a big gap where my head touches the headrest and my back touching the backrest, which makes it feel uncomfortable. I have been looking for those driver neck pillows but have no luck finding them in stores around me. I'll start looking online soon.

I don't know if anyone else thinks this, but we also thought the headrest felt very stiff/less cushiony, like if ever I get into an accident and my head slammed into the headrest, I'd probably have a concussion or some sort of head banging injury. Other than great, its a great car with awesome features.

#13 ·
After owning previous American cars without any kind of headrests, the seat and headrest on the SF make it the most comfortable combination that I have ever experienced. I routinely drive with my head resting against the headrest and this is both comfortable and safe for me. If you feel that it is too far forward, try tilting the seat back slightly as this may be more comfortable for you.

#14 ·
I read another thread about this, but can't find it. What they did was remove the headrest and gently straighten the tubes, so as not to kink or damage them. Took some pulling to remove it, as there was tape on the bottom of the tube. Tubes as close to straight is what I did and the headrest is in the perfect position.
You may be able to do this with the headrest installed, from the back seat and pull back, but I don't know if something might not break.

#15 ·
Like others here, I also have the issue with the too far forward headrests in our '13 SF 2.0T. I bought this SUV and have loved it (pretty much), but my wife (around 5'7) found the drivers seat VERY uncomfortable due to the headrest issue. She'd drive it, but could not get comfortable and would end up with a very sore neck after a trip of any length. I'm 6' - and didn't have as much of an issue, as I'd lean the seat back a bit. However, I did have a lot of shoulder fatigue. But no matter how we adjusted the seat back, or the headrest (back/up/down) etc, we could not make that darn headrest feel any better.

Today after finding and reading this thread (and not finding much help) I went out and figured there "had to be a better way" and I did find one - a FIX, at least for us.

I reversed the headrest, so that the front faces the rear, and vice versa. MUCH more comfortable on the neck, as you are no longer forced to have a "head down" position!

So, this is not as easy as just pulling it up and out - there are 2 small tabs, or buttons at the passenger side of the bases where the headrest rods go into the seat. I just pushed in on each with the blunt point of a needlenose pliers and this will release the locked rods of the headrest - push in the tab and pull up on that rod. Lean the seat back so that you have plenty of headroom for the final removal of the headrest, and pull it all the way out of the seat. Turn it around and push it back into the seat, and you are done! (It goes in more snugly than it comes out, so you do have to push it in harder).

This allows the seat to be positioned much more upright, as some people like, without pushing your head far forward. Surprisingly, it also feels good with the seat more reclined too. With the seatback up or reclined, you have much more support for your upper back and shoulders as they now actually are in contact with and are cradled by the upper part of the seatback. Seems like that was what it was designed for!

Notes:
1. The headrest can still be "adjusted" up if you want. But since the seat is so tall, and the headrest so tall, we find it fine to be in the lowest position (pushed down all the way into the seat. If you do pull it up, there are no longer any detent locks - you have to live with a friction-fit of the rods into the seat, but it will stay fairly well.
2. There is no longer adjustment of the headrest forward/backward. (There actually is, but it's moot - as soon as you push your head back into the headrest, it moves back to the rear as far as it will go). This isn't a problem, as the far-back setting is soooo much more comfortable! So, no biggie, but it is a note.
3. The headrest now has a much more firm surface for the back of your head, as the softer cushion is now facing the rear. This doesn't bother us, as we don't "push" our heads back into the headrest while driving. Maybe if we slept in the car it would matter more? I also realize that if we were rear-ended very hard, this firmer cushion would likely give us a bigger headache than the other side would, but I'll take that chance. It's still padded, just not as soft. It's much better than total removal of the headrest, and this way will still protect against whiplash.

So, we're happy. We decided to only do the drivers side, as when my wife is not driving, she finds she can get fairly comfy in the passenger seat.

Believe it or not, this was a pretty big deal for us, and we were pretty disappointed before doing this fix. Hope it will work for you too.

#19 ·
I do not think this is too much of an issue as there are a lot of vehicles out there with little to no head rest protection. The Chrysler Caravans are terrible in this regard. At least with the head rest reversed, you still have some protection to prevent your head from snapping back too far.

#25 ·
Hmm, I guess I'm doing it wrong. I like mine all the way forward. It's the first car I've ever had that actually allows me to keep my neck straight, and not lean my head back to touch the headrest. Doing that compresses my neck, and it's sore in no time. With this car, my head is straight, and no neck pain. Every other one I've had I couldn't actually use the headrest without buying one of these to add to it, up high on the rest.
https://www.amazon.com/Neck-Pillow-Version-Memory-Color/dp/B00A7ZV0R0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472327931&sr=8-2&keywords=Car+Neck+Pillow+%28Soft+Version%29-

#26 ·
I think it depends on a variety of factors:
Person's height
How far they recline the seat
Their head shape (let's face, it some people have larger/differently shaped heads than others)
Neck sensitivity

I will say the headrest is a little farther forward than I like, compared to the Ford Edge I test drove, but nowhere near as bad as the 2017 Kia Sorento. My God, that thing is horrible.

But now I know that the Hyundai can be moved a little (just may not stay), so I will play with mine when I get it. It wasn't overly bad. I do have to adjust the height a little as well.

But again, if someone were shorter, or had the seat more upright, I can see it being uncomfortable. I wonder if it was fine in test drive, and then they sell you a diff. car (sometimes) and maybe the headrest moved a tad?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.