Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headrest on my driver's seat looks like crap after 18 months. Leather or whatever it is is flaking off in a circle area where my head rests.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'll post a picture tonight.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Do you have leather or cloth?

If you have leather, have you tried shampooing and conditioning the leather? If you have cloth you can do the same.

·
Registered
685 Posts
BTW, you should really use some sort of conditioner for leather. I usually do this every couple months, takes only 10 minutes but it helps to keep it in good shape. You might not notice the difference right away but if you compare with untreated seat 1-2 years from now the difference will be night and day.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
The only problems I'm having is the leather not being as tight as it could be...Then again its 2.5yrs old. Headrest is perfect though... I condition every 3 months. Care to post pics?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have issues with my seat ( see images http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/138985-leatther-seats.html) and so far the headrest only have some minor signs of wear. My dealership told me no dice on any sort of warranty which really sucks. My car wasn't that old when I took the pictures and it looks much , much worse now.
this is crazy. I've never seen anything like this happen from normal use. You should definitely try a few dealers and find one who'll replace the seat covers under warranty.
I have black interior and after 36k it still looks like new. The only problem is a very lightly scratched spot on the right side of the driver seat from the gun rubbing but this is totally my fault. Otherwise it seems to be ok.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
My Elantra has this exact same issue not to mention the driver seat dye is already coming off in numerous spots and they refuse to cover it under warranty so I'm stuck with a $700 bill to replace both worn cushions and the head rest. Needless to say, I'm not very happy with the quality of Hyundai's leather at all.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just checked out the pictures in the above mentioned thread. Again, the gray interior, just like most of the paint chips on the steering wheel have the gray interior. Makes me wonder if something is wrong with the gray dye that Hyundai used.

I wipe down my front seats every month with Meguiar's Gold Class cleaner/conditioner. I like the smell a lot better compared to the other "leather scented" options, yuck. I use 2 wipes for each front seat. I plan on using the wipes on the back seat every Fall and Spring. Not many passengers back there.

On the dash/door trim/console, I used Turtle Wax Fresh Shine protectant plus odor eliminator (new car scent). This is by far the best thing I found for the dash. You just need to follow up with a clean cloth to get an even coat on the console area and piano black trim.

I have the black interior and it still looks & feels & smells brand new @ 32,500 miles...as it should! I wouldn't expect to see wear/tear until after 50,000 miles, and wear/tear like the mentioned thread until over 100,000 without any kind of conditioners used. Even my 1999 Jeep leather seats felt & looked new at 98,000 miles. I think Hyundai has a problem if this keeps coming up.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
My Elantra has this exact same issue not to mention the driver seat dye is already coming off in numerous spots and they refuse to cover it under warranty so I'm stuck with a $700 bill to replace both worn cushions and the head rest. Needless to say, I'm not very happy with the quality of Hyundai's leather at all.
I wonder if the Azera and Genesis have the same leather? I think Hyundai would step up and fix it in those cars, at least the Genesis anyways.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Just checked out the pictures in the above mentioned thread. Again, the gray interior, just like most of the paint chips on the steering wheel have the gray interior. Makes me wonder if something is wrong with the gray dye that Hyundai used.
I think I've seen the tan steering wheels peeling too.

·
Registered
578 Posts
No issues with my leather after 2 1/2 years.... just some light wear on the edge of the driver's side outboard seat back bolster area. I guess its from constant friction from entering/exiting the vehicle. Lexol leather conditioner is my choice of care product for the leather and Turtle Wax ICE Total Interior Care on the remaining surfaces.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts