Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remove the headliner? (I have the 2012 Limited model)

Ever since installing my 15" subwoofer I get mad flex/vibration from the headliner.

Im contemplating some vibration dampening and some 3m Thinsulate. Im just afraid of messing with airbags/sensors.

A guide with photos would be even helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

...also any tips for the rearview mirror? This vibrates too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Subwoofer

Take the subwoofer out and save your hearing for later years when you get older!! If the roof liner is flexing imagine what it's doing to your ear drums?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha Ha, that would be the easy solution.

...Plus I use the sub mostly for SQ, but from time to time I like to "turn it to 11"...mostly at car audio events. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, no luck finding anyone who has removed the headliner...but I read a tip [removal from different vehicle] that the negative post should be disconnected at the battery to prevent any issues with the airbags.

Any truth to this?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I certainly would if you plan to get into the protected pillars.
This is what Im unsure of, the A pillars...do they need to be removed to mess with the headliner? or can I slip it out without removing the pillars directly?

As much as I like to be the guinea pig, I really wish I had a tutorial to follow. Im gonna look into the Hyundai tech site and see if they might have instructions...but Im guessing if they do it will be half ass'd or vague.

Edit: looked into the Hyundai service site, and its ok instructions...says I do need to remove pillars, but makes no reference to the Airbags and necessary precautions...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So disconnect the Negative terminal on the battery, leave Positive connected? or disconnect both to be safe?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just make sure that if you remove the negative cable, that you cover the electrode on the battery or tie down the cable, a lot of cars do not have much flex in the cable that connects to the negative terminal so it can easily get "bounced" into the negative electrode. Usually its not that big a deal but if the potential downside is an airbag going off while you're working on something I would be ****** sure the negative is well off to the side. Would not hurt to pull off the positive as well and tie that off to the side - just to be sure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is ALWAYS a good idea to remove the negative terminal when going near electronic components, ESPECIALLY the airbags. Take away the power source and there is 0 chance of ignition. If not handled properly, those things can do some serious damage.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the advice, let me ask you guys this...

Pillar removal is just the plastic trim correct? The airbag itself does not come out right?

·
Registered
329 Posts
The airbag system has capacitors to retain power is case of a total loss of power in an accident. Make sure you take the time to let them power down. Most cars are good for 5 minutes. My Chrysler has a two minute reserve.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
If you're just doing the headliner, then yes, all you need to do is get the plastic cover loose to expose the edge of the headliner. If you had any ideas about running cable down that pillar, THAT would be another story altogether.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
FWIW: Hyundai states that you should "...wait at least three minutes before beginning work". Modern vehicles bleed off the capacitors much more quickly than they did in the old days. Some vehicles from the 90's specified 30 minutes or more for safety. Lots of commentary can be found amongst firefighters and others who have to deal with this sort of problem regularly.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're just doing the headliner, then yes, all you need to do is get the plastic cover loose to expose the edge of the headliner. If you had any ideas about running cable down that pillar, THAT would be another story altogether.
Yes, just want to drop the headliner to place some sound damping.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Some vehicles from the 90's specified 30 minutes or more for safety. Lots of commentary can be found amongst firefighters and others who have to deal with this sort of problem regularly.
Interesting information. 30 freaking minutes? They probably figured if you stall in the middle of the road, it would take up to that amount of time to get a tow truck in there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well to follow up my own very old thread, I finally got around to messing with the headliner.

Long story short, not something I will ever care to do again. Never could fully remove the headliner, got close, but the rear dome light baffled me. Could not figure how to remove. I was able to drop the headliner from the rear several inches and could see the light was connected to a cross beam of sorts to the roof. I just could not tell how to disconnect it.

I honestly could not believe how hollow and tinny the roof sounded when I beat my knuckles across it. It is in desperate need of dampening. Unfortunately Hyundai thought it a great idea to glue thinsulate type material in a few places making Dynamat adhesive not very effective. Huge bummer, I did get a fairly large piece of Dynamat into the area I could reach but again it does not stick on the thinsulate stuff. Still needs work, but unless I decide to pay the pro's I will not be making the effort myself.

I give credit to those who do this kind of stuff for a living. Dam hard work. :grin2:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I removed mine to run a video cable for a reverse camera that runs to my rear view mirror. Lets say for me it was not easy. Absolutely for sure follow the advice of others and the negative cable. I found myself being way to stressed out with the airbag and routing my cable in my install did not impede anything and then had to put the headliner back so it looked stock and not messed with. While I was successful, it is something I do not want to do again without proper experience person. my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 23 Posts