Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am trying to make my mind on 19 SFS Ultimate. The only one point holding my back is how headlights (full LEDs) will perform in winter in snow/muddy conditions. As usual low bumper is where thats stuff will be collected, so there would be no lights at all, as currently on tucson there is sensor in low grill responsible for auto stoppering and always you have to get out and clean it otherwise the system shots down your tracking etc...control. Also, I read that folks with jeep cherokee have similar problems in winter...Installing a washing system helping to clean headlights is a choice, but anyways it won't make huge difference based on my experience with jets as lights are way low.....

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,638 Posts
The headlights certainly look well-positioned to be snow catchers. Of course, Korea has plenty of snow so, hopefully, Hyundai knows best.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
LED lights do produce heat ...maybe that will melt off snow build up ????

·
Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
323 Posts
Despite our early MN winter, last Friday's one inch of wet snow wasn't enough to see how the headlights might attract snow. So today during our sunny 44 deg "heat wave" I used up the last dabs of my concentrated Rainx on the LEFT hi/lo beams plastic shield to see if that side repells wet snow more than the untreated right side lights. I will check it a few times before year end, and I really have good luck with Rainx on summer rain windshields and have used it on side mirrors (but they are heated, not sure what helps a vertical surface).
I also bought a bottle of RainX made to add to the windshield washer tank, see if that works at all during the winter months.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Despite our early MN winter, last Friday's one inch of wet snow wasn't enough to see how the headlights might attract snow. So today during our sunny 44 deg "heat wave" I used up the last dabs of my concentrated Rainx on the LEFT hi/lo beams plastic shield to see if that side repells wet snow more than the untreated right side lights. I will check it a few times before year end, and I really have good luck with Rainx on summer rain windshields and have used it on side mirrors (but they are heated, not sure what helps a vertical surface).
I also bought a bottle of RainX made to add to the windshield washer tank, see if that works at all during the winter months.
When I first got mine, I bought a roll of 3M paint protection film and applied it to about 14 areas of the vehicle. One of the areas was the front headlights, assuming they were going to get rock salt or small stones hitting them.

The second thing I did was have someone apply a ceramic coating (8 month coating).

The windshield was coated with a spray on coating (gtechniq) I have NOT used my wipers since I got the vehicle. Water just rolls off.

So I ended up buying 128 oz of this coating similar to the gtechniq.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/McKees-37-MK37-630-Hydro-Coating/dp/B073P8HZBH/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1542285218&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mckee%27s%2B37%2Bhydro%2Bblue&th=1[/ame]

I applied it to all the windows and side view mirrors. The water just rolls off.

I did not apply it to the headlights, but I'm going to do it now. It's very simple application which I thought was too good to be true but it actually does work. And lasts much longer than the rainx.

For the money, I think the 128 oz is the best choice and then I just filled up some small spray bottles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just did my first drive while it was snowing. Definitely a problem. Very quickly after I got onto the highway, I got the warning that the radar sensor was blocked and active collision avoidance was disabled. It was early morning, the sky was getting brighter, so I can't say I noticed a big drop in lighting, but when I parked and went around to look, the lens over the headlights, fog lights, and radar sensor were pretty caked with snow/ice. Even my license plate was completely covered. Can't say I've seen it that bad on any prior vehicles.

I'll report back if I get the chance to drive at night when it's snowing. Otherwise, the SF has been a tank in the snow so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any updates on night snow driving? I don't care about that ACA, as it c ommon problem to hyundai, but lights are different story? So far we didn't see much snow yet up here in calgary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts