Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally drove my car at night.....

When the lights came on, there was like a dark line straight across the road and both sides of the road...

Like if someone pulled down a window blind.

If I turn on the high's that part would then light up...

Is this normal or do my lights need adjusted or something......

I had an SUV pull around me and at about 2 car lengths the dark line went right across where the bottom of the glass in the back of the SUV was...

This is very distracting to me......

·
Registered
110 Posts
Any chance of a picture?

That's one thing that's hard to check on test drives given it's usually light out when the dealers are open.

·
Registered
106 Posts
the "dark line" is the result of the projector housing of the low beam bulb. This is normal for the type headlight that we have.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Apr 29 2010, 07:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318050
the "dark line" is the result of the projector housing of the low beam bulb. This is normal for the type headlight that we have.
So it sounds like that is normal and no way to change it.....
I wonder why no one else mentioned this, or maybe it just bothers me more than most...... :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (Quigley21 @ Apr 29 2010, 07:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318053
So it sounds like that is normal and no way to change it.....
I wonder why no one else mentioned this, or maybe it just bothers me more than most...... :(

I have noticed this, and it doesn't bother me. I am coming from a 7 series BMW with active Xenons that turned when you turned the wheel. Nobody makes better lights than the Germans!!!!!!!!
The Headlights in the Sonata, I would say are average to comparable cars.
I have purchased, and will install some HID bulbs. Again this will not "solve" the issue with the sharp cut-off of the headlights. But it will give much brighter light

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Apr 29 2010, 07:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318055
I have noticed this, and it doesn't bother me. I am coming from a 7 series BMW with active Xenons that turned when you turned the wheel. Nobody makes better lights than the Germans!!!!!!!!
The Headlights in the Sonata, I would say are average to comparable cars.
I have purchased, and will install some HID bulbs. Again this will not "solve" the issue with the sharp cut-off of the headlights. But it will give much brighter light
ok Thanks for the info

·
Registered
79 Posts

Yup, the sharp cutoff line is due to the projectors.
I am out of the loop now, but used to be a headlight nut.
Some projectors are sharper than the other. Early Honda S2000 projectors were so sharp, Honda revised it after. But the sharp ones were much brighter.
A lot of HID projector enthusiasts modify the lens so it gets crispy sharp. You can even make the cut off line Bluer by playing with the shield inside of the projector.

I am interested to see what kind of cut off line the Sonata projectors give with HID bulbs. Anybody have night pictures?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am interested to see what kind of cut off line the Sonata projectors give with HID bulbs. Anybody have night pictures?
[/quote]

I am adding the HID kit as soon as I have a free day. But I am certain the sharp cutoff will not change because the projection housing will not be modified. It's going to have the same cutoff but brighter and whiter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am curious because sometimes halogen projectors give unwanted flare when HID bulbs are used.
A lot of people put HID bulbs for their Acura Integras and they were blinding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts