Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still reading through the 2014 manual so go easy, please. Is there a setting that provides an audible alert when the headlights are left on?

I'm not a fan of auto Headlights, especially since I read here to expect only 2-3 years from an OEM battery. :eek:

All my other cars beep at me if the lights are on when I remove the keys.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
Welcome DFW and congrats on the 2014!

The Sonata does not have an audible headlight indicator on any of the trim levels.

However, the system will automatically shut the headlights off after a while to save the battery. Additionally, (at least on my car) when I hit the lock button twice on the key fob the headlights shut off.

So I don't think you need to worry about the headlights killing your battery.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why wouldn't you use the auto headlights? They work perfectly. It doesn't make any sense not to use them.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Auto headlights on my Maxima, Sonata, Fusion...all suck. I just leave em on. On the Sonata I key off and the lights kick off.

Fusion "bings" and will leave lights on for 10 minutes...rather have the Sonata operation on my Fusion.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
I always drive with my headlights on at all times. Sonata is easy. I leave it in the ON position and never have to worry about anything. Drops down when the engine goes off and goes dead once the door is open. I wish every vehicle I have had this. Back in the day, I just remembered to turn them on and off. Was just part of the process, like seatbelts, mirror check and radio volume.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Not sure if this is considered the feature that keeps the lights on for 30 seconds after the car is shut off. That can be turned off by holding the "reset" button on the dash until a menu appears. I think it may be called courtesy lights / on / off...or something like that. This might only go with the auto light setting, not the headlight on setting.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I always drive with my headlights on at all times. Sonata is easy. I leave it in the ON position and never have to worry about anything. Drops down when the engine goes off and goes dead once the door is open. I wish every vehicle I have had this. Back in the day, I just remembered to turn them on and off. Was just part of the process, like seatbelts, mirror check and radio volume.
So very much agreed on. Would make life so much more simple.

·
Registered
687 Posts
For some reason I was thinking mine dinged when I left them set to "on" but not set to auto. I'll check it out tonight.

I have to turn my lights on and off leaving the military posts every day.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
It is so those on post can see the driver coming and not be blinded by the light. Some will also have you turn off your wipers so just are not splashing them while they check IDs.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have always used the "Auto on" feature for my headlights and fog lights. On my 2007 Sonata that I traded for the 2012 turbo sonata never had the battery replaced. Got 5 years out of that one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts