Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there have been a few other threads with this topic, but wanted to ask the question to make sure I was on the right track. I have a 2009 Accent GLS 4-door. No DRL.

Last night, both of the low beams would not come on. The High beams work both when the multi-function is pushed forward (full time high beams), or pulled back (flash). The parking lights work and the tail and brake lamps both illuminate. Turn signal lights work.

From what I have read both here and on some other sites, because the High beams work but the Low beams do not, it seems like the issue is the multi-function switch.

Swiping from another thread:

So, the high beams only work when flashed which basically means neither the high or low beam headlamps work?

If that's the case we can rule quite a few things out:
It's unlikely to be the bulbs if both high & low beam are inop because the high beam flash works.
Power supply to the bulbs must be OK if they flash, which would also mean the relay is OK too (if it has one).
The wiring between the switch and the lamps must be OK, on the high beam at least since they flash.
I assume the position/tail lights work which means the ground to the lighting switch is good.
I think we just ruled everything out except the dip switch which is part of the multifunction switch. You can confirm that the dip switch has failed by doing a bypass test.
Am I on the right track with the multi-function switch? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
244 Posts
First, check fuses and if you have power for the low beam at the bulb connector.
Could be power, could be the multi function switch or the BCM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Fuses are both good (LH and RH have individual fuses). I will check power to the bulb connector. This model has a combo low beam and high beam, and like I said the high beams are receiving power since they are illuminating.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,964 Posts
Am I on the right track with the multi-function switch?
Have you checked the bulbs?
The low beam and high beam use 2 separate filaments inside a single bulb. So the bulb could still be blown even although the high beam part of it is still working.

If the bulbs are good I think there are only two possibilities left. Either the switch has failed, or there is a break in the wiring between the switch and the headlamps.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked the bulbs?
The low beam and high beam use 2 separate filaments inside a single bulb. So the bulb could still be blown even although the high beam part of it is still working.

If the bulbs are good I think there are only two possibilities left. Either the switch has failed, or there is a break in the wiring between the switch and the headlamps.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated
I am going to be swapping out the bulbs today. I figure if the old bulbs are bad, then I will be good with replacing them. If that is not the issue, then I will have a spare set of bulbs for when they eventually do go.

Thanks for the reply. It is much appreciated. (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts