Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the headlights truly shutoff without turning them off.when the keys are off and the doors are opened? Just don't want to run my battery down. Ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
391 Posts
on my 09 they do...you can easily test this.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes they shut off but only if you open the Driver's door.

Lets say you went to go eject a CD from the radio, opened passenger door and turned key to on, this would turn your lights on, take your CD, remove your keys, and closed the passenger door. The lights will not shut off. Just be aware of that.

My headlight switch is left in the on position pretty much year-round.

·
Registered
329 Posts
yes they shut off but only if you open the Driver's door.
You have my thanks for solving a mystery that has irritated me for far too long.

Normally, I do switch my lights off. When I forget, usually everything is fine. The couple of times I've killed my battery, I could never figure out what I'd done differently.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The headlights should shut off, but the parking lights do not. They can still kill your battery.
Odd. I'll admit I didn't know about this until today, but I just dusted off my owners manual (2007 model), and it has this to say:

Parking Light Auto Off
o The purpose of this feature is to prevent the battery from being discharged. The system automatically turns off the headlights and parking lights when the driver removes the ignition key and opens the driver- side door.
o With this feature, the parklight will be turned off automatically if the driver parks on the side of road at night. If necessary, to keep the lights on when the ignition key is removed, perform the following :
1) Open the driver-side door.
2) Turn the parking lights OFF and ON again using the light switch on the steering column.

350 Posts
Interesting... I had issues with my S.O. leaving the lights on and killing the battery. I wound up installing a lite-minder which buzzes when the lights have been left on with the key out. No problems since then...

·
22,793 Posts
I need to go get my owner's manual and read up on some stuff, also. This Accent feature has me wondering, as well, if there is some little light nuance on mine that I need a refresher course.

It's amazing how much we forget over time if we don't utilize some of our car's features. Getting older doesn't help any, either. I know of what I speak! "grin:

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,816 Posts
The headlights shut off when you turn off the engine.

The parking lights shut off when you take the key out of the ignition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm having fun figuring out the features of this little car, and I had forgotten how much fun a peppy little 5 speed was...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts