Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2011 Elantras car, with 6pin headlight connector. I want to buy a new 2015-2016 headlights, but, they have 8 pin connector. How can i adapt that connectors (6pin to 8pin).
I know about electrical connections. If someone could helpme. I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
why do you want to do that? the earlier headlights cost like half of the later ones. on the later headlight, if you look carefully at the socket on the headlight, it can be removed. dunno about wiring diagram, tho

·
Registered
119 Posts
8 pin, 6 pin? 🤔 aren't these a standard stock headlamp. I know some of these have a projector lense option, but aren't they all the same lamp? Like a 9006 or 9007?

·
Registered
12,675 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've seen the 8 pin headlamp connectors on ebay. You'd need to cut your original connectors off and splice those on though.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
8 pin, 6 pin? 🤔 aren't these a standard stock headlamp. I know some of these have a projector lense option, but aren't they all the same lamp? Like a 9006 or 9007?
nope. 2011-2013, 6 pin. 2014-2016, 8 pin. i upgraded both our 2016 headlights to projector. the earlier lights are less than half what the later lights cost. dunno about earlier having drl, perhaps that is the extra 2 pins.

·
Registered
119 Posts
nope. 2011-2013, 6 pin. 2014-2016, 8 pin. i upgraded both our 2016 headlights to projector. the earlier lights are less than half what the later lights cost. dunno about earlier having drl, perhaps that is the extra 2 pins.
I have a '15 Looked it up, says H11 & 9005/HB3, My DLRs would be based on the standard 9005 I guess so why would that be different? I see the H11's look like a 9006 but are way pricey. (Why did they need to reinvent the wheel here?)

I find the projector lamps (not necessarily on the Elantra, but most vehicles) to be annoyingly blinding to oncoming traffic (along when having them following you) as they are aimed way to high.

I found this statement, true or not....

"The h11 will not fit without modification. You have to cut about 1/8" off one of the plastic tabs on the bulb capsule. ... The modification is very similar to that needed to fit a 9005 bulb into a 9006 socket. The electrical connection is the same on both bulbs."

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
both our 2016 factory reflector headlights were h11 low, and h7 high/dlr. and any light can be blinding if not aimed correctly. i first had led bulbs(H11) in the reflector headlights, no modification for the bulbs, but i did have to modify the dust covers to clear the fan housings. the led's were outstanding. the projector headlights are 9005/H7, and i have led in both. again, outstanding light. we live in a rural area, lots of streets with no lighting. huge difference from halogen, including the hir bulb.

·
Registered
774 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
both our 2016 factory reflector headlights were h11 low, and h7 high/dlr. and any light can be blinding if not aimed correctly. i first had led bulbs(H11) in the reflector headlights, no modification for the bulbs, but i did have to modify the dust covers to clear the fan housings. the led's were outstanding. the projector headlights are 9005/H7, and i have led in both. again, outstanding light. we live in a rural area, lots of streets with no lighting. huge difference from halogen, including the hir bulb.
When you said you upgraded to projector, you replaced the entire housing I assume as you said have the standard 9005/H7 which are actually rated as a high beam Reason for the extra brightness? I assume an adapter used then as these are now being used for your standard low beans at this point. The projector lenses concentrates the brightness. Since the 1960s the laws have been generally 300cp for front lighting I'm the U.S. limits so I'm not sure how the manufactures are pulling this off.

I'm contrast, my '73 Ford had factory standard incandescent sealed beams which were notably dimmer than any other car on the road when I had it, even back In 2005

I too have to use the high beams often as they refuse to light the streets within my development. I'm my area though I really wanted to try the diachloric lamps again though I'm sure that law enforcement would eventually have an issue with these.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
the projector lamp bulb is 9005. look in the handbook. i replaced entire housing, there is no other way. brightness has nothing to do with it. properly aiming them does. no adapter needed. dunno if projectors concentrate anything, but with projectors there is a distinct cutoff. but 300cp is low:

Depending on the lighting system of the vehicle, headlights are limited to about 20,000 to 75,000 candela, according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108. Candela is a modern unit of light measurement, and one candlepower equates to about one candela.

not much info on cp or candela, but lots on lumens. and the reason lighting is not enforced is because police do not have the equipment needed. i have never heard of diachloric lamps in cars, must be before my time. i am 74 years old. when i first got led bulbs, we had the stock reflectors(H11) in the cars. because of the fan housing, the back of the bulb would not clear the dust cover. but just to see, i put the bulbs in, no dust covers, and went out at night. i was astounded at the difference. everything lit up. the right side of the road was way brighter. the reflectors on stuff like posts, lane markers, mailboxes, etc all lit up brightly. i was sold. i then modified the dust covers so the bulb fan housing cleared. i used the led's for months, then i decided to install the projectors. i have never been flashed by oncoming traffic with either light. but then, after installing the bulbs, i made sure they are aimed. i have read many posts where owners who have had hid and led say that led is just as bright. anyway, i am happy with the led. however, looking back, i think the projectors are a waste of money, the reflectors and led bulbs are a tad better

·
Registered
774 Posts
the projector lamp bulb is 9005. look in the handbook. i replaced entire housing, there is no other way. brightness has nothing to do with it. properly aiming them does. no adapter needed. dunno if projectors concentrate anything, but with projectors there is a distinct cutoff. but 300cp is low:

Depending on the lighting system of the vehicle, headlights are limited to about 20,000 to 75,000 candela, according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108. Candela is a modern unit of light measurement, and one candlepower equates to about one candela.

not much info on cp or candela, but lots on lumens. and the reason lighting is not enforced is because police do not have the equipment needed. i have never heard of diachloric lamps in cars, must be before my time. i am 74 years old. when i first got led bulbs, we had the stock reflectors(H11) in the cars. because of the fan housing, the back of the bulb would not clear the dust cover. but just to see, i put the bulbs in, no dust covers, and went out at night. i was astounded at the difference. everything lit up. the right side of the road was way brighter. the reflectors on stuff like posts, lane markers, mailboxes, etc all lit up brightly. i was sold. i then modified the dust covers so the bulb fan housing cleared. i used the led's for months, then i decided to install the projectors. i have never been flashed by oncoming traffic with either light. but then, after installing the bulbs, i made sure they are aimed. i have read many posts where owners who have had hid and led say that led is just as bright. anyway, i am happy with the led. however, looking back, i think the projectors are a waste of money, the reflectors and led bulbs are a tad better
I got flickering on my DRL led strips so I had no choice but to relay them.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
both of ours were plug and play. no problems. at first, i could not find a H7 led for the high/drl, until someone on this forum posted they had one. now the high/drl works perfect, too.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Read up bit more on this again, & corrected on the 20K to 75K candela TY, we had a discussion a few years back on Saturnalia on this topic. All this modification sounds way complicated, though someone mentioned on the Costs on the standard H11 & H7, both of these are $8.99 each at Menard's for Philips Halogens when I checked last night.

So your saying just replace the Halogens with LED's? I see they have fans now associated I'm surprised they would need such complexity, & there would be a plug & play for the LED replacement. Also, what is that white piece of trim within my housing?

I find many of the youngsters insist on driving with the High beams, there is even a Jeep in my area that sports bright Green LED Headlamps.... I remember being hassled with just an ambient blue glow in the grill from Blue Beehives.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
driving with high beams on in texas can draw gunfire. while halogen is way better than the old sealed beam tungstens, even the best halogen bulbs nowdays are nowhere near as bright as led. and they will outlast the life of the car, unlike the brightest halogen, which dont even last a year. and i dunno what white trim you speak of. ymmv. i like the led bulbs. the fan on the led is for heat. led bulbs have either a fan, or a heat sink, some in the form of woven metal ribbons. it seems like the led bulbs with the highest output have fans. federal regs say white lights only. any other colors are cop magnets.

·
Registered
119 Posts
White trim is within the housing, I have a '15 & assume these are the reflector housings I have (??) .... dealer said I had the value edition, if that means anything 15" Alloys, Rear Discs & base radio. Diachlorics are doped with yellow, used in Scandinavian countries where its cloudy & rainy, my uncles grey market Saabs in the 80's came with them.

Good point to bring up, the brighter the bulb as far as filamented ones, the shorter the life. Mine appear to always last enough, I've only changed one headlamp in the Vue in 10+ years & 58K. As far as longevity on vehicles here seats will be falling through the floorboards in 10-15 years, & I only seem to be putting on 5K a year, thus I cant rationalize ever buying a brand new vehicle. My vehicle spent its life in Florida & Texas & has not been through a winter here yet thus not a bit of corrosion. I'm scrambling to either get it oil sprayed or get the Vue ready for another winter, I don't see the Elantra going through the snow very well being so low to the ground. :rolleyes:

There are a few intersections I noted here that are graded to where oncoming traffic sitting opposite, the lights are blinding the other sides .

I'm not sure what the OP meant by 5/6 pin all these lamps bases appear to be only a 2 pin (?)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i think the value ed was 2016 only. both of our cars are value ed. sunroof, heated seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, 16" alloys, and rear disc. the pins being referenced is the main connector, not the bulbs. 6 or 8 pins

·
Registered
119 Posts
i think the value ed was 2016 only. both of our cars are value ed. sunroof, heated seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, 16" alloys, and rear disc. the pins being referenced is the main connector, not the bulbs. 6 or 8 pins
So the dealer service manager lied? not sure what model line I actually have, pretty basic aside of the alloys & rear discs, I cant figure out why all the manufactures seemed to remove the glove box lamps from most of the cars (my VUE don't have one)

I found that some BMW's have an anti blinding feature on their headlamps while also using the high beams almost full time.
I'll have to read up on altering "dust caps" & such but I found the halogen replacements to be cost effective... I guess.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
when i first installed halogens instead of tungsten, the light output was way better. when i installed led's instead of halogen, the light output is astounding. halogen is just not good enough for me

·
Registered
119 Posts
  • I still had incandescent or tungsten as recently as 2005. I had a jeep pull in a parking spot a few rows over for me that was blinding me, something has had to have changed in the specs for legality in brightness recently.
I have yet to drive a vehicle with HID's let alone LED's yet. I had done some testing on HID's back in .the 90s at GE's Nela facility, this was a $3000 option on high end vehicles at the time. I was reluctant to may not much more than that for a used vehicle then!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts