Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I recently bought a 2018 Sonata Limited. This past weekend, I went out of town and started my journey very early in the morning( around 3:00). I noticed there was a blob-like shadow using the low beams on the driver's side of the road. It disappears when the high beams are used. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hello:

I recently bought a 2018 Sonata Limited. This past weekend, I went out of town and started my journey very early in the morning( around 3:00). I noticed there was a blob-like shadow using the low beams on the driver's side of the road. It disappears when the high beams are used. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Is it like the low beams are too low and it cuts-off on an uneven road? Mine does that also if the road dips!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
It is disconcerting...who turned out the lights! :huh:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello:

Point your car toward a light colored wall with the low beams on (about 10 feet back) in the dark. Take a photo and post it, here. If it is visible, point it out. Let us see what you are describing. Thanks...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Point your car toward a light colored wall with the low beams on (about 10 feet back) in the dark. Take a photo and post it, here. If it is visible, point it out. Let us see what you are describing. Thanks...
Think of the old headlights that were half-covered with chrome "eyelids"...now picture driving into a dip in the road and the shadow will descend...you won't see anything!

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=406946&stc=1&d=1524085133g! :surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is what it looks like while driving at night....someone else posted this picture but this is how it looks while driving at night. Please pay attention to the shadow on the driver's side of the car in front of a 2018 Sonata.. This is what we are experiencing with the 2018 Sonata Limited.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here is what it looks like while driving at night....someone else posted this picture but this is how it looks while driving at night. Please pay attention to the shadow on the driver's side of the car in front of a 2018 Sonata.. This is what we are experiencing with the 2018 Sonata Limited.
My 2014 does not have that "dip" in the line. Might be something new on the 18's.

Do the wall check and see if the "dip" is in the cutoff line across the top.

Mine is flat, all the way across.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
...not what I'm experiencing...it's a horizontal shadow coming down! The "high beam" is fine!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...not what I'm experiencing...it's a horizontal shadow coming down! The "high beam" is fine!
Yes, it only does this on the low beams. I don't drive much at night so I guess I will just have to live with this issue as long as I have the car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is it possible that the driver side is aimed lower to reduce glare for oncoming drivers, and the passenger side is aimed higher to illuminate road signs and potential hazards on the side of the road?

*edit* I did a quick search on the googlez and according to this article that is the case

"You should expect the light pattern to be higher on the right side (passenger side) to illuminate road signs and lower on the driver's side to prevent blinding other drivers."

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-do-i-know-my-headlights-are-aimed-properly-1420683926799/

Reactions: forgeinaz

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is it possible that the driver side is aimed lower to reduce glare for oncoming drivers, and the passenger side is aimed higher to illuminate road signs and potential hazards on the side of the road?

*edit* I did a quick search on the googlez and according to this article that is the case

"You should expect the light pattern to be higher on the right side (passenger side) to illuminate road signs and lower on the driver's side to prevent blinding other drivers."

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-do-i-know-my-headlights-are-aimed-properly-1420683926799/
Yep, that's it. Almost all cars with projector-based headlights in the US have that pattern.

If that's disconcerting, raise the aim of your headlights so that dip hits further down the road but not so much as to blind oncoming traffic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts