Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2015 SFS 2.0 SE. What is wrong with the headlights? On dark roads they only project out about 2-3 car lengths. I am now having to drive with the high beams on almost all of the time.

Took the car in to the dealer and the service rep said it is a design issue. Asked the GM about it and he suggested installing OEM HID lights for $750. Is this worth it?

Is there any way that I can just adjust these lights up? I was told at the dealer this isn't an option.

I miss my MDX...

·
Registered
274 Posts
You could do a nice HID kit for $500 less (probably less than $250 for a nice kit) honestly without upgrading the housings, and you'd have much better spread. Have you, by chance, tried upgrading the bulbs first to something like a Silverstar bulb? Do you know what's in it currently?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Seriously, no way to adjust the height of the projected beam, I call BS on that, has to be adjustable. I'd lift the hood, look over the housing for somewhere you can insert a screwdriver, seems like on my '14 with HID type there is a star wheel that you can turn with your fingers or use a Philips. Also suggest a better aftermarket bulb if that doesn't get what you are looking for. HTH

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yes, the CAN adjust projection lamp assemblies. BUT......The sharp cutoff of projection style lamp assemblies, which is what I assume the OP is commenting on, draws a lot of complaints across manufacturers because they do not illuminate signs as well and have other limitations on hills. That is the nature of the beast and you cannot raise them high enough to fix that. If you do you will be severely blinding other drivers.

Installing HID lamps, if they are not a projection design, will provide for a better illumination of signs and on grades. If the HIDs will also be of a projection design they will still provide for a better output but may or may not solve your individual concern.

I would assume that the Dealer checked the aim and they are at the proper height. If so the only think you can ask is that if there is an allowable spread on the height that they be raised closer to the upper limit. Mine are adjusted that way and I have decent visibility down the road. Road side and especially overhead signs, such as those on the Interstates, are still hard to see and always will be. Beyond that, please do not attempt to raise them more as you will be blinding others and could even be cited for that.

If your vehicle has fog lamps, using them will help to some extent. They are typically aimed low and also have a fairly sharp cutoff, but I have found that they bounce enough light off of the roadway to help illuminate some roadside signs, such as the mile markers on the Interstates. It is not a great difference, bit it can be the difference between being able to read them and not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts