Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Elantra GLS. I was hoping by now newer models came stock with HID and MAYBE I could find a wrecked car and plug and play the headlights. I did a search online and found ANZO USA 121455 for about $475. Any other options that run stock that I could consider before the aftermarket route? Not specifically looking for HID but I like them. I do a lot of night driving on dark roads, yet I HATE "that guy" who blinds everybody.

Thanks!
Jamie

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
we have 2 2016, and i replaced both reflector headlights with projectors, and led. your early car has a 6 pin connector, so the 2014 and later will not work. i believe the housings will fit, but the connector will not. i think you will be amazed at led bulbs, and the early oem headlights(ebay) with projectors are way cheaper than the later ones. led will use way less power than hid, are instant on, and will last forever.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have 2 2016, and i replaced both reflector headlights with projectors, and led. your early car has a 6 pin connector, so the 2014 and later will not work. i believe the housings will fit, but the connector will not. i think you will be amazed at led bulbs, and the early oem headlights(ebay) with projectors are way cheaper than the later ones. led will use way less power than hid, are instant on, and will last forever.
Thank you! Just to be sure I understand. Are you recommending led bulbs with stock replacement housings on eBay? Or, does eBay have some complete headlight package with bulbs you were suggesting, like this?

LED Lights on eBay

My biggest concern is I don't want to flood oncoming traffic with bright light, like I see so many people do. If the OEM housing and reflectors can direct LED light in a focused beam and not glare other drivers, I am awesome with that.

Thanks again,
JB

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
i originally installed led bulbs in the stock reflector housings. with NO adjustments. the light output was amazing. one way to tell is when you come up behind another car, see where the cutoff is. with reflectors, there is a distinct cutoff, nowhere near as pronounced as with projectors, but you can immediately see. with ours, the cutoff was right about at the rear trunk. i ran those lights for about a year, never got any flashes from incoming traffic. the stock bulb is H11(yours, being early, might be different). at first, because of the fan housing, the stock dust covers would not clear. i was skeptical, so i installed them, just to see how good they were. like i said, they were so amazing, i knew i had to modify the covers so i could keep the lights. i ended up cutting a hole in the covers, and used a flexible cover extension. the bulb was a simdevanma from amazon, but i dont see it there any more. besides the dust cover, it was plug and play. later on, i switched to the projector lights. the only advantage, if any, i can tell, projector vs reflector, is the cutoff. with projector, it is VERY distinct. other than that, not worth the cost. i dont think your year has drl, but ours do. that was another problem, finding a bulb that will be dimmer during the day, but when needed, brighten up when on high. this bulb is an H7, and i recently installed simdevanma, and they work excellent. again, i had to use a different dust cover, but it was easy. the led bulb is well worth it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! So my issue is the clear plastic on the housing has become very pitted and I need to replace the housings. So, I am looking at finding some well-priced OEM housings to replace, then an LED bulb I suppose.

thanks again

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
depending on how badly the pitting is, the clear plastic can be restored. there are several simple cleaners that are just like car polish, but they wont remove pitting. however, it may restore the clear plastic enough so that the pitting wont affect the light. then, you can install led bulbs, and see how you like it, and if you do, then perhaps look for new, or used in good condition.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Is there a consensus on a preferred LED upgrade kit out there for a 2012 Elantra? I could use new lens' too as mine are getting ragged.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
Woketman
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing