Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Santa Fe (2010, GL AWD) for about a month now.

I hadn't realized when I purchased it that this model did not have automatic headlights. My last 2 cars both had them, so trying to get used to it. However, I do have a question about them as the behaviour of the lights is different than I am used to.

Scenario:
- turn on the headlights
- turn off the vehicle
- the headlights turn off, but the dash lights stay on.
- get out of the car - there is no buzzer or warning chime that the switch for the lights is on.

If it is night, then I usually notice the dash lights and then turn the lights off. However, if it is dusk or if I've turned the headlights on in the day (e.g. foggy or rainy day and I want my tail lights on to 'hopefully' help someone coming up behind me see me better), I don't notice the dash lights still on. With no warning chime, I find it easy to forget they are on.

My questions is - if the switch is left on, do the dash lights remain on until the switch is turned off, or is there an override that shuts them off after a certain amount of time? Is there a risk of running down the battery?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Actually you'll notice that when the ignition is turned to either accessory or lock, the headlights go out but the parking lights stay on. When the door is opened, the parking lights (along with the dash lighting) should shut off as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My '09 Santy didn't (doesn't) come with DRL (daytime runing lights) so my light switch has been on since the first day I bought the vehicle. Turn off key, lights go off. Remove key, dash lights go off. Put key back in and dash lights are back on, start vehicle and lights (obviously) go on for driving.

JW

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wjw - surprising to hear that an '09 would not have daytime running lghts.

Tried it out yesterday. The headlights go out when the key is turned off. The dash lights stay on after I take out the key, but go out when I open the door. (I didn't notice about the parking lights).

So, even if I don't remember to turn them off - I'm safe. That's the main thing. Thanks for the info lovemysantafe and wjw.

·
Registered
976 Posts
QUOTE (wjw @ Jun 22 2010, 05:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335328
My '09 Santy didn't (doesn't) come with DRL (daytime runing lights) so my light switch has been on since the first day I bought the vehicle. Turn off key, lights go off. Remove key, dash lights go off. Put key back in and dash lights are back on, start vehicle and lights (obviously) go on for driving.

JW
How did that vehicle get sold legally to you in Canada? Even if you brought it in from the US, DRL's have to be installed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (Pinto_Siftbean @ Jun 23 2010, 11:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335544
How did that vehicle get sold legally to you in Canada? Even if you brought it in from the US, DRL's have to be installed.
See it all the time... some Canadian Tire mechanics aren't too worried about stuff like that...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts