Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 i10, which I love. However, whenever I switch from dipped beam to main beam, the dipped beams go off. I have asked at the main agent and was told that this should not happen. I was told that they could investigate but it would initially cost £54. Does anyone know possible solutions; pretty please?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dipped beam works on both sides. When I switch to main beam, they both work but the dipped beam on both sides go off. This has not happened on Renault, VW and citroen cars I have owned, and the |Hyundai agents confirmed that on main beam, the dipped beams should still be on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dipped beam works on both sides. When I switch to main beam, they both work but the dipped beam on both sides go off. This has not happened on Renault, VW and citroen cars I have owned, and the |Hyundai agents confirmed that on main beam, the dipped beams should still be on.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My 2010 will have dipped or main on separately. They use a H4 bulb that has 2 filaments in. Only 1 lights up at a time. If you click it slow enough both light up briefly. But they don't both stay on. It's either one or the other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your reply. According to the hyundai local agents, the dipped beam should stay on with the main beam. There is a fault somewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you look at the watts for your bulps each glowing spring in the bulp have appx 50watts each. Either you use the dipped or or the long lights.
I think the local agent is trying to make money on you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, but I have owned several different Renault cars and they all use the same lamps, and have had both beams on when main beam is selected. However I will take notice of your guess. and will ask my usual garage who are experts and I have been using for the last 35 years.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,296 Posts
I have owned several different Renault cars and they all use the same lamps, and have had both beams on when main beam is selected.
How Renault choose to wire their cars up is completely irrelevant. Unfortunately for me Hyundai don't wire things up the way Renault do. I wish they did given how much money I make fixing Renault electrical faults.

However I will take notice of your guess.
He might be guessing, but I'm not. I spend a considerable amount of time measured the voltages on an i10 headlamp connector (see link above) and confirmed that when dip is on the main is off & vise versa. That's how it is supposed to work, and the Hyundai circuit diagram backs that up. I'm sure the experts at your local garage will back it up too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How Renault choose to wire their cars up is completely irrelevant. Unfortunately for me Hyundai don't wire things up the way Renault do. I wish they did given how much money I make fixing Renault electrical faults.

He might be guessing, but I'm not. I spend a considerable amount of time measured the voltages on an i10 headlamp connector (see link above) and confirmed that when dip is on the main is off & vise versa. That's how it is supposed to work, and the Hyundai circuit diagram backs that up. I'm sure the experts at your local garage will back it up too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your contributin. I only included the point about Renault cars, as one reply implied that having both elements powered together required too much power.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I use high beam lights my low beam lights stay on. When I use Low beam lights my High beam lights go off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just tested my i10.
Used my OBDii Adapter and the andriod App Torque. To measure the Voltage on the battery.
Ignition on, without starting the engine. The bigger the demand for power from the Battery the lower the Volt.
The voltage is exactly the same for the short light and the long light.
That ,means equal power consumption for the two options, and they never work at the same time.
Best greetings
Dirtydancingdk

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,296 Posts
Thank you so much. You are the first person to confirm that it is possible.
It's possible but it's just not the way it works on your particular model, or any other model that is fitted with H4 bulbs AFAIK. If your car had H7 bulbs, like a Santa Fe for example, your dip beam probably would stay on when the high beam is on.

·
Registered
2014 SFS Limited 2.0T
438 Posts
You are the first person to confirm that it is possible.
Bongo didn't say he has the i10. I can say the same thing because I have a SFS. On the SFS, the low beams stay on when on high beam but the fog lamps turn off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts