Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Several weeks after I purchased my 2017 Elantra Value Edition in April, at night I noticed some type of a haze or condensation inside the headlight assembly that run vertically from top to bottom, right in front of the low beam. This is identical on both sides. I took it to the dealer, pointed in out in the several manager, who agreed that it looks terrible, BUT first time he was seeing it. We pulled the car into the open bay. He then pulled in another 2017 Value Edition and it was the exactly same problem. I said I would like to see another car, which he gladly brought in, again SAME issue with the haze inside the lens BOTH sides! One of the service techs who over heard us talking was aware of this issue and showed me a TSB that Hyundai has out for this issue. However, he told me there is NO fix for this issue. He told me if he ordered 2 NEW headlight assemblies, that most likely it will have the same issue!
I would love to hear from other 2017 Elantra Value Edition owners to see if their headlight are having the same issue. I really feel Hyundai should correct this for me under warranty!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Sounds like a bad run of headlights. Did anyone check to see if the bulbs were seated properly?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, they didnt check anything. Just visual inspection and told me there is NO fix. To me, that's unacceptable! What's worse is the haze is right in front of the low beam, so im sure its limited light output, even if it's very minimal.

·
22,792 Posts
@noduleman:
Dear Mr. Dealer,

I don’t care if you have to order me a new set of light assemblies. I don’t care if you have to order another set to replace the second set. It’s not money out of your pocket, Mr. Service Advisor! Nor yours, Mr. Service Manager. The vehicle is under warranty. A warranty I paid for. Kindly fix it. End of my asking nicely.

Sincerely,
YOUR valued customer

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2017 Elantra VE, and have this same issue. I don't think it's really causing any issue as far as blocking the headlights, but it definitely doesn't look great. I have yet to have a dealer look at it, but I'm curious to see if others have any luck getting it resolved.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Looked at web photos of VE, headlamp assemblies appear to be identical to the ones on my 2017 Limited.

Contains four bulbs, high and low beams, these have black plastic caps on them with neoprene seals on the inside, coated those with silicone grease or would never get them off. The marker and directional signal bulbs also have neoprene seals, more silicone, helps keep that neoprene soft for a good seal.

Do you have all the caps and seals on yours? Not with the Hyundai, but other vehicles, the lens on the front of these assemblies is ultrasonically welded where they did a poor job on, since warranty expired within a week or so, pulled them and put a bead of epoxy around them.

Were dirty on the inside, washed them out with soap and water, use the tail end of a vacuum cleaner to blow them out dry.

When the bulbs heat up air pressure increases, if that leaks out, when they cool creates a vacuum that sucks in moisture.

In my opinion, not a TSB, but a recall, definitely a safety issue, really reduces the light output. Basic are the seals or a poor weld, latter, only cure is to get them replaced, but still have to be cleaned and dried out if they left off the caps and/or the seals.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nicholas,

Thanks, but I am NOT a mechanic or mechanically inclined, so I dont know if it have"caps and seals". Quite frankly, I shouldn't have to worry about that and the dealer should handle this COMPLETELY by replacing them under warranty!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Nicholas,

Thanks, but I am NOT a mechanic or mechanically inclined, so I dont know if it have"caps and seals". Quite frankly, I shouldn't have to worry about that and the dealer should handle this COMPLETELY by replacing them under warranty!
No argument against your statement and is indubitably a safety issue.

Let's look at history, bulbs were used in headlamp assemblies until 1940, in 1941 common sense became fact with the introduction of sealed beams. Is a thing called Fressnel coefficient of reflectivity, its double with a bulb and a lens, sealed beams were 100% moisture resistant with only single reflectivity.

Then the stylist took over with an entire new era of problems, and using plastic instead of glass that develops haze. Could have made aerodynamic sealed beams, but this involves having a minor degree of common sense.

At least the Hyundai can replace a burnt out bulb without tools, some vehicles, have to remove the entire front end first to change a bulb. Sealed beams today are still in the six buck range, if you get a crack in that plastic, both arms and legs for a replacement. And up to 23 bucks for a little tiny bulb!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Prices for the headlamp assemblies are just a bit absurd.

: Fit Note: PROJECTION-LOW BEAM-A TYPE, DRL - DEDICATED LED TYPE, HID... ...View More Production Date: 12/2015-03/2016 $1350.90 List

$1005.07 Your price.

Should remove mine and place them in a safty deposit box. Least the Hyundai is using a four light system, many vehicles only have two.

·
22,792 Posts
I’d trade this sucker off before I would dump that kind of money into replacing two lens assemblies. But only if the warranty had expired, that is. As long as there is a warranty enforce, however...

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I’d trade this sucker off before I would dump that kind of money into replacing two lens assemblies. But only if the warranty had expired, that is. As long as there is a warranty enforce, however...
Price on ebay is $204.90, but have a couple of refurbed units, suppose to look like new in the 80 buck range.

Have to search for some more Hyundai OEM parts sites,

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/

is absurd, 3,000 bucks for a radio! Ha, if you had to buy 6-7 of these, cheaper to buy a whole brand new car.

partsgeek wants $172.34

Kid hit a deer with his Taurus, dealer wanted 130 bucks for a new headlamp assembly, found a new one on ebay identical in every aspect to the OEM unit for 27 buck with free shipping but had to wait a couple of days to get it.

Parts for new stuff is outrageous, have to see what they are about five years from now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I haven't had or seen the headlamp issue described ( I have a 2017 VE), but, my left taillight has the issue. It comes and goes. Took it in to the dealer and they said that it's the first they're seeing and hearing of it. One of the guys there offered to put some sealant around what he showed me were small gaps in the light assembly, but I don't see why I should settle for that when the other taillight doesn't have the issue. They additionally said it may be temperature related, but who knows.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Can always contact Hyundai Complains in the US at:

Contact Us

By Email

[email protected]
By Phone

(844) 462-5557

Had the same problem, not with one, but with three different GM dealers with what I considered major safety concerns.

Called their complaint number, first person you talk to is at the bottom, kept on asking for their supervisor until I got to the top, then finally satisfaction. Most of the lower ones didn't know anything about automotive, but could say they were sorry. Ha, I don't care if they are sorry, wanted the defective components replaced.

Not feeling I will have this problem with my Hyundai dealer, seem more concerned about our safety, but so far, no reason too.

Most I know about, have to charge half their rates and do the job at half the time for warranty work, that reduces their income by 75% and don't make any money on replacement parts, so rather give you weak excuses.

Really do not know how Hyundai deals with their dealers, but am getting some negative hints.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got the same issue since day 1 when picking up the new 2018 Elantra Sport at dealer on DEC 28, 2017. The salesperson took the picture and promised to follow up. But still no feedback yet.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Does anyone mind posting some pictures of the haze if possible..

Thanks

I got the same issue since day 1 when picking up the new 2018 Elantra Sport at dealer on DEC 28, 2017. The salesperson took the picture and promised to follow up. But still no feedback yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, I have taken some pictures but the forum system couldn't let me post. Because the requirement is I must have posted more than 5 times. So let me posted something first.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
In the US, Federal Standards 49 CFR § 571.108 covers this issue, manufacture is in violation.

Not too many people are aware that our EPA insist we also have an eight year warranty or 80,000 mile on emission control devices. Whichever comes first, but not sure why there is even this limit. Used this to my advantage, to get sensors and other emission control devices for free.

Ha, tell the dealer I will install them myself so its done right. 70 bucks for a MAP sensor, 225 bucks for an EGR valve!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Anyone find a fix to this issue?
With used up vehicles, can purchase polishing kit for that kind of haze.

Other problems are moisture on the inside, cap has a rubber gasket that dries up, need a new one or you can find a crack in the lens where it fits into the housing, that can be filled with epoxy.

For a brand new vehicle, you get it replaced with a brand new one for free, providing you didn't damage it yourself by hitting something.

Where do you take to? Dealers have a sales department, last place to go as well as a parts department manager, forget this as well. Main shop service manager, also forget this one, take it to the body shop manager, its their department. Some larger dealers even have a warranty manager, ask to see this person. Could also ask to talk to the general manager.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I installed LEDs so I have a feeling they will use that as an excuse to not do anything, although it's been like that since day one just like the hundreds of other ppl who were effected by this flaw. I believe the haze is on the inside. While the lights are off its not noticable but when they're on you can distinctly notice the 2 lines of haze on both head lamps.

Anyone find a fix to this issue?
With used up vehicles, can purchase polishing kit for that kind of haze.

Other problems are moisture on the inside, cap has a rubber gasket that dries up, need a new one or you can find a crack in the lens where it fits into the housing, that can be filled with epoxy.

For a brand new vehicle, you get it replaced with a brand new one for free, providing you didn't damage it yourself by hitting something.

Where do you take to? Dealers have a sales department, last place to go as well as a parts department manager, forget this as well. Main shop service manager, also forget this one, take it to the body shop manager, its their department. Some larger dealers even have a warranty manager, ask to see this person. Could also ask to talk to the general manager.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts