Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have brand new 2018 Sonata Limited

Both front headlights were getting foggy on the first night of the purchase.
When I told my dealer and his manager, they said they will take care of it.

My car has been at the shop for 3 days now, only to be diagnosed with "Customer claims that the both headlights get foggy, but after 3 days of observation, there is no fog or condensation"

Also the service manager sent me how it's either Natural condensation or Condensation from Engine Startup. if you turn it the car on for 30 minutes, it will go away.

Service manager from my dealer told me Hyundai declined to resolve the issue.

so after 45 minutes drive back home, this is what the headlights look like.

Does anyone have the same issue I'm going through?

I'm worried now the headlight might be damaged from the condensation freezing inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
you should fill in your location details so we know where you are. You will get better responses from people in the same geographical area as you .

I'v never noticed but we haven't had freezing temperatures for a while. I think you would worry if you see a puddle of water pooling inside the lighting housing. It happen to me on another car when back tailight would have water whenever it rained. It was a Toyota and was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Chicago area.

No water puddling inside of the headlight, but since it's a new car, was not sure if condensation at all in the headlight was normal.

Thank you,

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't have the limited, I have the '18 Sport. But even with NY temperatures bouncing from 5 degrees up to 50 degrees then back down to the 20s over the past few weeks, I haven't gotten any of that fogging on my headlights. Sounds like that dealership is trying to snake their way out of proper diagnosing the issue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I bought mine (equipped with bending LED's) they also got some small condensation. It went away when I got home as soon as they cooled off (it was in the summer so condensation evaporated quickly). I think in your case you are seeing it because it didn't get a chance to evaporate before freezing. It should eventually disappear but you would want to keep your car in warm area first.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,322 Posts
That's because it's not a warranty issue. It's normal for the inside of modern plastic headlamps to fog like that.

When I was working in the VW dealership we would often get folk complaining about it. But VW (and I'm sure Hyundai too) say it's only a warranty issue if there are large droplets of water visible inside the lamp. A mist/fog like what you have is considered normal. And it does seem to happen to every car that comes through the workshop too. When the car has been in the warm workshop for a while and is then sent to the wash bay, when they rinse it off with cold water the headlamps would mist up. It's unlikely that every car to come off the production line would be fitted with faulty headlamps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I wonder which bulbs his headlight has. The Light Bending LED bulbs (says LED Intelligent System on the housing) can't be replaced. The whole housing must be replaced.

If he has the HID Bulbs, the back of the housing can be opened ( to replace bulb).

If it has separate bulbs for High and Low beam Quartz Halogen, again the bulbs can be replaced.

If it has either the HID or Quartz, I see no reason why the rear opening can't be left open overnight to air out or vent out the moist air. (I could be wrong).

BTW, my 2015 has HID and my 2018 has LED (hate the LED). Wish I had the standard separate Quartz bulbs or even the combined High/Low H4 Quartz bulb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what bulbs I have, just whatever's standard on the Limited.

I'm attaching the pictures of this morning.

Again, if this frost/fog doesn't cause any damage to the car, and is normal to other cars, I'm fine with.

I'm just worried I might be the only one suffering from it without knowing.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm not sure what bulbs I have, just whatever's standard on the Limited.

I'm attaching the pictures of this morning.

Again, if this frost/fog doesn't cause any damage to the car, and is normal to other cars, I'm fine with.

I'm just worried I might be the only one suffering from it without knowing.
Any updates? Is it fixed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have brand new 2018 Sonata Limited

Both front headlights were getting foggy on the first night of the purchase.
When I told my dealer and his manager, they said they will take care of it.

My car has been at the shop for 3 days now, only to be diagnosed with "Customer claims that the both headlights get foggy, but after 3 days of observation, there is no fog or condensation"

Also the service manager sent me how it's either Natural condensation or Condensation from Engine Startup. if you turn it the car on for 30 minutes, it will go away.

so after 45 minutes drive back home, this is what the headlights look like.

Does anyone have the same issue I'm going through?

I'm worried now the headlight might be damaged from the condensation freezing inside.

Hey, I'm New here, but I recently purchased a 2018 Limited 2.0t and i thought i was the only on e experiencing these issues. Do you happen to have any updates on your lights now?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I’ve had my 2018 Limited for 2 years now and my headlights fog up too under certain conditions, but it’s a normal condition. If there are extreme ambient temperature variations (cold front blows through on a warm day), washing car in the summer with cool tap water, etc. will cause the fog. This is completely normal. It dries out after the temperature deviation has been stabilized. Now if you are getting actual water droplets in the headlight housing lens then you definitely have a problem. The fog is normal and won’t harm anything, it goes away once the air inside the headlight housing reaches thermal equilibrium with the ambient air outside the housing.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
All headlights I have seen also have a vent to let the humidity equalize. Usually a U shaped rubber hose thing but sometimes a mushroom head vent. Make sure they are clear or not kinked.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 2017 Sonata headlights are good and when I asked my local Hyundai service manager about my girlfriend 2017 Santa Fe Sport headlights getting small amount of condensation inside passenger side light he said that if it goes away within 30 minutes of headlight being on then Hyundai won't do anything but if it does not than Hyundai will warranty the problem. So far condensation goes away within few minutes. Being in San Francisco area does help, no winter here :).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts