Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When replacing the high beam headlight tonight I dropped the bulb spring accidentally and can't find it. Anyone else ever need to replace this part? I can not find it online for the life of me. Anyone have an extra (as if my life could be that easy) that I could buy off of them?

Or, any creative solutions so that I can put the new bulb in and still get it to stay in place without the need of the spring?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
541 Posts
I am sure its cheap at dealership. Check it out with them for the price first to see if its really worth buying used or from someone here with the shipping fees.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how did you drop it? I've replaced KC's headlight bulb a time or three and I've never removed the springs.

·
Banned
873 Posts
i had the same problem, and unfortunatly nope you cant buy any replacement parts for the springs or any particles inside the headlights seperatly.. this might sound really dumb but what i did was though for temporarily... i got a line of solder and i bent it, shaped it and curved into the same shape of form that looked exactly like the spring that was in there (i took the spring out of the other headlight and used that to copy the shape on the solder).. it takes a bit of time but once u get it into a shape you can simpy just slide it in there like a normal spring and maybe use little bit of tape to fully secure it... luckily for me, i got my hands on es350 headlights to do a projector retrofit onto my sonata and the es350 headlight spring happened to fit perfectly right onto my lowbeam headlight on my sonata.. but i had my solder springs on for like a month and it was perfectly fine so i guess its good for temporary use

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
It is a whole lot faster and easier to somply remove the lamp assembly from car, and then working on flat surface, change the bulb as it is right there in front of you out in the open.. then re-install lamp assembly to chassis.

You can actually see what you are doing this way, and verify bulb is correctly aligned to socket. I have a field day correcting bulb installs that customer installed bulb incorrectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Dennis the Mennis @ Jul 9 2010, 12:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340096
If you don't mind me asking, how did you drop it? I've replaced KC's headlight bulb a time or three and I've never removed the springs.
Yeah, I didn't read the instructions and loosened the screw that held the spring, and as is the nature of a spring, it "sprung" off

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jul 9 2010, 06:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340147
It is a whole lot faster and easier to somply remove the lamp assembly from car, and then working on flat surface, change the bulb as it is right there in front of you out in the open.. then re-install lamp assembly to chassis.

You can actually see what you are doing this way, and verify bulb is correctly aligned to socket. I have a field day correcting bulb installs that customer installed bulb incorrectly.
Consider this lesson learned a little too late

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Jul 9 2010, 12:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340097
i had the same problem, and unfortunatly nope you cant buy any replacement parts for the springs or any particles inside the headlights seperatly.. this might sound really dumb but what i did was though for temporarily... i got a line of solder and i bent it, shaped it and curved into the same shape of form that looked exactly like the spring that was in there (i took the spring out of the other headlight and used that to copy the shape on the solder).. it takes a bit of time but once u get it into a shape you can simpy just slide it in there like a normal spring and maybe use little bit of tape to fully secure it... luckily for me, i got my hands on es350 headlights to do a projector retrofit onto my sonata and the es350 headlight spring happened to fit perfectly right onto my lowbeam headlight on my sonata.. but i had my solder springs on for like a month and it was perfectly fine so i guess its good for temporary use

That's kind of the conclusion I've come to, so I thought I'd check here and just happen to see if anyone (for whatever reason) had a spare to sell. I think I'll see about your solder suggestion. Something's better than nothing in the interim. What kind of tape would you use to further secure it?

·
Registered
587 Posts
You might want to consider trying a large paper clip bent into the appropriate shape. Any solder I've worked with is very soft and would not likely hold the shape very well or for very long. I would think a large paper clip could be bent into the correct shape and would retain it indefinitely if you don't weaken it too much by repeated rebending.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Forgot to say, there is no reason to remove the screw that hold the wire,,,, the one end has a "pad" that you push and move to unhook end from sheet metal hook, then roll retainer up to allow bulb to pass.... kinda like an overgrown diaper pin..

Look again at the picture above (click on it to enlarge it)... see the wire is still held with screw, the screw acts a s a hinge point. Just roll the wire back down and hook it.

·
Banned
873 Posts
^guy already lost the spring lol even if u explain to him its too late haha, but i tried paper clip but it didnt work, the metal gets too strethchy and snapped alot (went through like 10 paper clips trying to bend it to the shape than eventually gave up), i used some 3m brand double sided tape (very sticky) so it can hold the solder together onto the bulb assembly

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Putting two posts together ... would it be possible to remove both headlamp assemblies then use the spring for one as a template to form (bend) a paperclip into the same shape. Since you have the springless headlamp assembly completely off the car you could remove the screw then press the paperclip into place and replace the screw. I agree, the paperclip wire's not springy enough to use it as a permanent replacement; once it's in place it would have to stay there but after all, how often do you have to replace headlamp bulbs?

If it were my car, I'd give it a try; it might just work well enough.

Or ... take the spring to the junkyard and ask if they have a spare. It would be a good idea to research what kind of popular vehicles use the same bulb as the Sonata on the theroy the springs are close enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts