Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so now I am on my third set of sylvania Silverstar Ultra's and so far they only last a year and its always the passengers side low beam that burns out.. so now my forth set I decided to try GE Nighthawk Platinum and see if they is by chance a problem with my electrical.. but could anybody else tell me why this is happening.. I mean 60 bucks canadian per pair ain't cheap and after 3 times I am fed up and seeing if its the brand or my electrical.. and want to get this resolved before my warrenty is up.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Silverstars are a great marketing gimmick and nothing else. I used them several times on my '04 and the most I was able to get out of them was 5 months during the summer and I was very careful about when and how I used them. I stopped using them when my friend had the wiring harness in his Audi melted by a set of Silverstars. He went to a full HID conversion and I switched over to GE Nighthawks just before I sold my '04. In the month or two I had the car with the Nighthawks, I can say they are FANTASTIC and wish I could get them for my '10. They're whiter, brighter and cheaper than Silverstar bulbs. Unfortunately I can't comment on their lifespan.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I don't know why some people have problems with the Sylvania Silverstars. In Canada where the DRL's are on all the time, I'm sure bulb life is shorter. If I burned my headlights all the time, mine would burn out faster, too. IMHO, DRL's exist because there are too many semiconscious drivers who don't have enough sense to turn on their headlights when visibility is poor. (My $.02 worth.) Okay, I'm calm now.

Yes, it's true that they may not last as long as the standard dim, yellowish halogen bulbs, but I'm not surprised. Higher performance of anything, including light bulbs, is often a tradeoff among cost, life, and light output. The Silverstars in my late, unlamented '96 Kia Sportage were in it for over three years when it got wrecked. The first set in the wife's Tucson lasted a year but their replacements are now two years old. The Silverstars in my Santa Fe are two years and two months old. I don't see a marketing gimmick at all. I see better at night with them, and the older I get, the more I appreciate their whiter light.

When they burn out, I'll probably get a set of Silverstar Ultras or I may try a pair of the Nighthawks. Until then, I have no problems with the Silverstars. They do what I need.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would check to make sure you are not getting any moisture in that right lense. Check the voltage at the harness on both sides. Also, inspect the wiringfor any visible damage. Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals while the engine is running to check the voltage regulator. It should be putting out around 14.5 volts. Clean your ground straps. One is located next to the right strut tower The other is mounted on the engine. For the location of that one check the DIY for doing the spark plugs. There is a good picture of it there. Put some dielectric grease on them before bolting them back down. While you are at it you can do the same to the battery terminals too. Pour a mixture of baking soda and water over the terminals to neutralizeany acid buildup, clean terminals, put dielectric grease on them and reattach.
The headlights on my 2002 are still on the original factory bulbs. How in the world have they lasted this long is beyond me. The bulbs that burn out more frequently are my fog lamps. The factory pair lasted about 7 years. I then swapped them with bulbs from a local auto parts store and one burned out after 5 months and the other after a year. Ended up replacing them with the Sylvania brand and so far they are holding up ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll just throw this out there. Not everyone knows this so I'll bring it up. When you install the bulbs, do not touch the bulb itself with your fingers. Use latex gloves or hold it with a paper towel. Never touch the bulb. These bulbs get hot, really hot. If you leave anything on them, oils from your hand most importantly, but dirt or anything... on the surface of that bulb it will act like a heat sink and the bulb will fail in that location. This is the reason that a lot of replacement bulbs fail early.

Even still, those Silverstars don't last as long as Sylvania's standard bulbs. They even say this in their marketing materials. They have 3 ranges, from standard to the Ultra. the Ultra is brightest but has the shortest life. the standards are the least bright but last the longest.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all your input everybody.. I must comment I find the silverstar ultras alittle brighter and can see alittle wider and further then the nighthawk platinums so if this new set burns out I know I have a problem and not the bulbs themselves.. I put the silverstar ultras in her '08 Honda Civic she loves them.. in fact on low beam you get a few drivers flashing her all the time to turn them down.. when in fact they are.. mind you she had them tweaked to shine up 1.0% due to the fact her car is low and lights shine too much downward.. now she doesn't need her high beam at all.. lol. but gettin back the bulb life she has them still in her car for a year and a half now.. so thats why I started this topic.. figuring what is goin on but I wil have to check into some of the ideas to try what pemdas1972 mentioned.. I have replaced the battery with stronger one, also clean terminals with brush and dielectric grease and brand new alternator last fall.. so I will have to go deeper to find the source.. I have the electronic rust control I am wondering if its really doin its job or not? I myself like the brightest bulb possible cuz I dont see to well at night.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I've been using silverstars for a bunch of years on all my cars. They are rated as a short life bulb, as someone esle already mentioned. Here's what I've noticed: Some of the silverstars last a very long time. There is no way to tell at the parts store which one it is, but in time I have bulbs that just last and last. On my V6 Optima I have 27000 miles on the left bulb, and almost 24000 on the right, but I probably bought about 6 bulbs to end-up with that pair. My Accord has similar stats, but I didn't log when I changed them.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno why on some makes they last longer then other makes?? my g/f's has the same silverstar ultras and she just loves them and so far they are still bright and have not burnt out yet after 1.5 years so far and counting.. and she drives a '08 Honda Civic and mine a '06 Santa Fe and a set every year(3 sets in total) there has to be something wrong with my electrical

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reading up on some info on GE website to find out why bulbs aren't lasting very long, from what I read it could be the following.. battery, alternator, wiring harness, bulb connection(s) and grounds I have replaced my battery 2 years ago now, with more Amps, and brand new alternator followed 6 months later. so where should I turn to next, mine is a 2006 and could it be the connections and or wiring harnesses and grounds? still original wiring and connections and grounds have never been looked at. can some one help me out here and has the same issue I have had and solved it or know some who has? thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts