Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this question might sound really dumb, but i took my headlight bulbs out (the hid bulb (h7) highbeam bulb, signal bulb) to take my headlights out for some clear corner mod.. now im done and im about to put my lamps back in its place but i dont know how the bulb clip (the metal string spring piece that holds the bulbs down) goes back on... i tried the search button but couldnt find anything... does anyone have a diagram/pic of what it looks like with the clips already in so i can just follow the pic and put it back on? thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Apr 28 2010, 09:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317771
i know this question might sound really dumb, but i took my headlight bulbs out (the hid bulb (h7) highbeam bulb, signal bulb) to take my headlights out for some clear corner mod.. now im done and im about to put my lamps back in its place but i dont know how the bulb clip (the metal string spring piece that holds the bulbs down) goes back on... i tried the search button but couldnt find anything... does anyone have a diagram/pic of what it looks like with the clips already in so i can just follow the pic and put it back on? thanks

try looking at this head lite bulb change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjwAtnJYvKA

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Take that YouTube with a grain of salt. Several handfuls of salt. I've replaced KC's headlight bulbs several times and never had to remove the headlamp assemblies. Nor have I had to loosten any screws.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis the Mennis @ Apr 29 2010, 08:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317917
Take that YouTube with a grain of salt. Several handfuls of salt. I've replaced KC's headlight bulbs several times and never had to remove the headlamp assemblies. Nor have I had to loosten any screws.

Did you change your headlights out to HID? Page 6-32 of the 06 manual shows exactly this way to change the bulbs. Looks like a real PITA.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^i got my hid's professionaly installed before (For free from a friend who does hid lighting) so i didnt really have a clue how to put the bulb back on after pulling it. but that youtube video helped alot, its all in now, i just lost a small screw so i just found a random screw thats slightly big and just put it in but it still holds on pretty good so it should be fine.. anyways my headlights are clear no (no more amber yayy) and i painted the inner housing black, ill post up some pics soon, the car and the headlights are just filthy right now, ill clean er up and post some pics soon

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Did you change your headlights out to HID?
No. The article by Daniel Stern explained why HIDs should never be installed in a car thatand another forum explained the correct way to install HIDs; you need the headlamp assembly from a car that was designed for HIDs. Then you have your Sonata altered so they fit. Some body shop techs do this as a side line, and from the posts on the forum, to do this is VERY expensive.

Rather than go thru all that expense and trouble I fitted KC with Narva/Osram bulbs; they give a better view of the road and the first set lasted almost 2 years.

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis the Mennis @ Apr 29 2010, 10:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317917
Could you post a video of this being done, thx.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
^^^^I'm with Big B here Dennis. :thumbsup: My 06 has been on the road for just about 5 years now. OEM bulbs and I can feel a change coming. Yes my friends a change....new bulbs that is. :grin:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
With all due respect, I haven't posted a video because I fail to see why anyone would have difficulty unhooking a simple clip. Maybe you'd be better off taking it to the auto supply store and asking someone to show you how to unhook the clip. I'm sure once you see it done you'll be able to change out the other three. Dixi

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis the Mennis @ May 5 2010, 01:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319846
With all due respect, I haven't posted a video because I fail to see why anyone would have difficulty unhooking a simple clip. Maybe you'd be better off taking it to the auto supply store and asking someone to show you how to unhook the clip. I'm sure once you see it done you'll be able to change out the other three. Dixi
Clip is screwed in. I fail to see how you can remove it while screwed in. The owners manual states capsule has to be removed. I want to see how this is being done with no tools and without removing capsule.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The clip is screwed in on only one side. You aren't supposed to take it out. It hooks into the metal bracket on one side where the loop in the clip is. If you push down and sideways on the loop it releases and you swing it out of the way to remove the bulb.

I have never had to replace the halogen bulbs on my 06 Sonata so I've never tried to do it without removing the headlamps from the car. Seems pretty tight to do that without removing them. I have removed them when installing my HID's. I'd rather not risk damaging the bulb either way by trying to feed it into a very tight area while trying not to scrape it on anything. It doesn't take much to remove the headlamp altogether.

My 2000 Tiburon also used H7 bulbs for the low beam so used the same clip system. It used to eat a set of bulbs pretty much once per year so I had lots of experience changing those and never once removed the clip completely.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Take out the whole headlight. It is held in by 3 screws using a 10mm socket wrench. The clip is held in with a screw. I installed the HIDs myself and it is very easy to do. I took the clip out by accident. I will try and get pictures soon.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think that video was done by the member 'Big B' here. It's alright except for a couple of things.

First, I wouldn't put the headlight lens down on any kind of hard surface where it is likely to get scratched as the video appears to show.

Second, you do not need a screwdriver to remove the headlight bulb. There is no loosening or removal of either of the two screws or the clip required. The whole point of the spring clip is that you can unhook it at one side and swing it out of the way to remove and reinstall the bulb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. New to this forum...

UPDATE: I managed to remove the entire headlamp assembly and found the spring clip! I got it all put back together! Yeah!

--------

I have a 2007 Santa Fe that has a burnt out drivers side low beam. A few months ago I replaced the passenger side bulb without too much difficulty. This driver side replacement is causing me problems... not much room to maneuver in there.

And to top it off, I dropped the spring clip and it is down somewhere in the engine/bumper area and I can't find it to save my life.

I called AutoZone and the local Hyundai dealer for a replacement clip. Autozone says they don't carry it. Hyundai dealership said they can't order the individual clip, just the whole headlight assembly!

Does anyone have a source for buying a new clip? I've been searching around the internet, but can't find it. Perhaps it's because I don't have the correct name of the part? It seems to be a common part among several different auto manufacturers, but I can't seem to get very far on finding a new one. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kerry

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (rallyman @ May 13 2010, 09:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322469
I think that video was done by the member 'Big B' here. It's alright except for a couple of things.

First, I wouldn't put the headlight lens down on any kind of hard surface where it is likely to get scratched as the video appears to show.

Second, you do not need a screwdriver to remove the headlight bulb. There is no loosening or removal of either of the two screws or the clip required. The whole point of the spring clip is that you can unhook it at one side and swing it out of the way to remove and reinstall the bulb.
It takes ALOT to scratch much less break.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ May 5 2010, 12:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319881
Clip is screwed in. I fail to see how you can remove it while screwed in. The owners manual states capsule has to be removed. I want to see how this is being done with no tools and without removing capsule.
I just did this, and after losing the clip and having to take out the assembly I figured it out. I'll try and shoot a video if you like, but here is the easy explanation. Don't take out the assembly, remove the cap, and if you watch the video posted earlier in this thread, at about the 1:14 mark you get a good look at the clip. One side has a loop, in this clip it's at the top of the screen. Push loop toward the front of car and it should release and the clip rotates out of the way. Remove bulb, replace with new, and reattach clip.

I had the misfortune of unscrewing one of the screws and the clip flew into the engine compartment. After hours on the phone to salvage yards (Hyundai doesn't carry the part, and I couldn't find an after market one) I started tearing apart the front to find it. It was in the bumper. No need to spend $400 on a new assembly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts