Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where the left/right adjustment for the 2017 Hyundai Elantra (halogen projectors) headlights are? I found the up and down but can't seem to see the left/right adjustment

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Depending upon the market you are in, they should be set at the factory
Right Hand Drive should point slightly left .. away from on coming traffic
Left Hand Drive should point slightly right .. away from on coming traffic
As for actually adjusting them yourself, don't know

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Both of my cars have the horizontal adjustments but you have to take the headlight out to adjust, so it's trial and error. The both have a large 12mm hex too vs the vertical of 8mm. When you adjust the horizontal it may affect the vertical too so beware.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Not aware of any horizontal adjustment on my Limited, used that standard 25 foot chart for alignment, they were okay horizontally, but vertically set too low from the factory.

If you were to shim the mounts, would not fit flush with the front bumper nor the fender, if yours are off, can only suggest you take it back to your dealer.

Kind of like wheel alignment for camber and caster, only adjustment is toe-in, if off, replace parts.

Both my 88 Supra and 82 Pace arrow not only have both vertical/horizontal headlight adjustment, but also full camber and caster wheel alignment adjustment. But noticing on the new stuff with standard adjustments are no longer available on this newer stuff. How does this help on this new stuff?

What really bugs me for wheel alignment, all they can do is adjust the toe-in, but charge more than twice as much.

With sealed beams, had clamp on headlight adjustment, with the new stuff, back to that old wall chart.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Both of my cars have the horizontal adjustments but you have to take the headlight out to adjust, so it's trial and error. The both have a large 12mm hex too vs the vertical of 8mm. When you adjust the horizontal it may affect the vertical too so beware.
That blows and sounds like a complete headache if they ever need adjustment for the horizontal axis. Take a look over here (refer to the link below) with my recent findings with the 2018 Elantra Sport model.

Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum - View Single Post - What happened in or around your 2017+ Elantra today?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Ultimate package, lamps are rotated electronically via the steering wheel, Tucker did this back in the 30's, appear to be adjustable.

This is one option I wish to have, but to get it, have to buy an extra bunch of stuff I don't want, same problem with my cable TV company, to get just the three channels I want, have to pay for a bunch of crap I don't want. Hate marketing.

Never thought about doing what my son did, wanted a trailer package for his new Chrysler minivan, was told he has to pay $5,000.00 extra for a sunroof and navigation before he could get this trailer package. Was does a trailer package have to do with this stuff? He called the executives, either just the trailer package or nothing, they agreed.

Shop manual says to remove the head lamp assemblies, bumper has to be removed first. Sure need help with this, it twists and turns and can't be both be on the outside and under the vehicle at the same time for proper alignment. Ha, no problem with my 70 Buick Riviera, had to remove both the front bumper and the fender to replace the blower motor, all done from the outside, so could see what I was doing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Shop manual says to remove the head lamp assemblies, bumper has to be removed first. ....
Are you saying the bumper has to be removed to realign the Ultimate's HID headlights? Even for just vertical adjustment?
That would surprise me since most stuff on these Elantras is pretty easy to access.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Are you saying the bumper has to be removed to realign the Ultimate's HID headlights? Even for just vertical adjustment?
That would surprise me since most stuff on these Elantras is pretty easy to access.
I didn't say this, shop manual did, but at the rear of the head lamp assemblies will find an allen had screw for making the vertical adjustment, mine was set too low, that was real easy.

Not to be over critical on this subject, another part of my job was to be an expert defending witness for my company. You will not find me making any modifications to the lighting system.

When our Cruze was rear ended, see their expert witness, removed the tail lights to find stock bulbs in them. If they found anything different, if even brighter, would have avoided the claim claiming the so-called accident was caused by a modification.

With any modifications, you are assuming the liability, a risk I am not willing to take. And fighting against the finest Harvard attorneys that seem to have good connections with the judge. Anything to avoid paying a claim, your fault or not, especially not.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Not sure bumper has to be removed to adjust the headlights, only to remove the head lamp assembly.

Many 2017 Elantra Limiteds without the Ultimate package came with the rotating headlights. Mine did.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
The up/down adjustment should able to do from the top of the headlight. Both my Hyundais require the headlight to be removed to get to the left/right adjusting nut on the back. Lucky for me you can take both of them out without removing the bumper.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Many 2017 Elantra Limiteds without the Ultimate package came with the rotating headlights. Mine did.
Interesting since the (US) '17 Elantra brochure and Hyundai web site show the HID Dynamic Bending headlights only as part of the Ultimate Package.
When I was shopping the only such headlights I saw were on Ultimate Package Elantras (inc both AL and Korean built units).

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Interesting since the (US) '17 Elantra brochure and Hyundai web site show the HID Dynamic Bending headlights only as part of the Ultimate Package.
When I was shopping the only such headlights I saw were on Ultimate Package Elantras (inc both AL and Korean built units).
Same here with my dealer, either was everything with the Ultimate Package or nothing. Wanted a vehicle I had control over, not some silly-con diode..

Ha, least by not having them, won't have problems with them, if that motor stalls, could have head lamps to the far left or right. Never learned if they have a manual override.

Supra has closed head lamps, motor driven, but if they don't come up, like frozen, does have a manual override.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of where the vertical adjustment is? Mine are aimed to low, have been for the last 9 months since I bought the car lmao... And how sensitive is the adjuster? One full turn make a big difference?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Hyundai shop manual is still using that 25 foot wall chart that I can find in my 1937 Motors Manual, they don't give the dimensions, have to take these off the vehicle.

This site is about the same.

C1 Headlight Alignment Presenter: Chip Werstein ? sacc

Low beams are that only low beams, above the headlamp cap and to the outside, will find an allen socket head screw facing the rear, I just use a 3/8" socket metric allen bit without the drive, easy to rotate with your fingers.

Brights are also just that. find the cap, above that and on the outside about 2" back see a square hole, can drop a #2 Phillips screwdriver into the square hole and engage a toothed gear and rotate that for up or down.

Dual beam headlamps only let you adjust the lows, have to live with the brights, Hyundai gives you more flexibility. with independent adjustments.

Can pay a couple hundred bucks for a screen, but every vehicle is different, just make a cross with masking tape with dimensions taking off the vehicle, have flat concrete along side of my attached garage that points to my added external garage.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
I got some new aftermarket headlighs and had a terrible time getting then right.

So to start you should put the car as close to the screen as you can get, garage door in my case, and mark the center of the headlight beam on the door. Being so close means there is no horizontal or vertical error when marking the center point.

Then mark a spot 25' and back up to that. Adjust as needed. On both of my cars you need to remove the headlight for the horizontal adjustments.

I also have the drivers side a bit more to the right than straight ahead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts