Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

My 2012 Sonata SE came with Halogen H11 bulbs. Since I was complaining of difficulty during nighttime driving, BF replaced them with HID (XB Morimoto 35w). However, that was 5 years ago and although output was better back then, we were not happy with results.

Any other suggestions for H11 replacement? We were looking into GTR lighting ultra 2, but these are only available for high beams.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
curious about this as well but mine came with h7. I tried LEDs but even aimed properly they were still too bright for oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are your headlights oxidized? I mean by that, are they dull? You might need to just remove the oxidation using a kit?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hi:

My 2012 Sonata SE came with Halogen H11 bulbs. Since I was complaining of difficulty during nighttime driving, BF replaced them with HID (XB Morimoto 35w). However, that was 5 years ago and although output was better back then, we were not happy with results.

Any other suggestions for H11 replacement? We were looking into GTR lighting ultra 2, but these are only available for high beams.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Alright.... so even though you're running a 35w kit and ballast the coating that is on the stock projector for our headlights is complete and utter garbage. After awhile the coating starts to burn and flake off and you're left with little to no reflective surface left in the bowl of the projector, we call this bowl burn. This happens for all projectors overtime but the higher quality ones like Morimoto take a much longer time to deteriorate enough to suffer any decrease in output.

So honestly the only thing you can do at this point is replace the housings, but if you replace them with stock housings you'll eventually run into the same problem.

I suggest you upgrade to a plug an play bi-xenon housing and buy quality D2H bulbs (Morimoto XB is what I have). The D2H bulb is very similar to a D2S bulb and will provide the correct spacing for any hid aftermarket projector to produce a quality hotspot and great output.

Picture of bowl burn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts