Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

Here in the UK we have a compulsory annual 'MOT' inspection for cars over 3 years old. This is carried out by registered garages and is a snap shot of some mechanical parts of your car together with things like emissions testing, windscreen, wipers and lighting. Depending on the results you can be required to make immediate repairs or or have your car taken off the road.

Mine is due by the end of the month so I bought a headlamp cleaning kit to try and tidy up the fogging. The pics below show a before and after. The whole job took about an hour and a half and the results were pretty good.

A few bits I learnt in the process ....

• Easier with the bonnet up but worth covering the engine bay with an old blanket or something as the spray goes everywhere.
  • Seal any small cracks with clear epoxy or even super glue before hand. You can see on the last photo a white dribble on the inside of the lamp. There was a deep scratch there before I started. Turns out that this went right through so when I started to use the sanding discs the dirty water dripped down the inside of the lens !!! Think I'm stuck with this mark now.
  • If your fogging isn't too bad you don't have to work through all of the grades of discs - 800, - 1,000 - 3,000 - you can just jump in at one of the finer ones.
Hope this is of interest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, sanding discs aren't needed and shouldn't be used the worst headlamp fogging on plastic can be polished up with T_cut and a foam polishing pad on any kind of rotary electrical tool I've done this often on my own and friends vehicles resulting in a brilliant finish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts