Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my stock headers with performance headers and now my car runs badly. I had the Hyundai dealer run a diagnostic check and they concluded for me to put the stock headers back on. Well, I know someone else has done this before, (Fast and the ferious). With a little research, I found what is called a "CO2 sensor eliminator". Is this something that really works and are there ather alturnatives for me to try? Please help me with this problem. I have been spending large amounts of money through mechanics and parts that is not fixing the issue.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Dear driller,

The first question is what engine do you have, as your profile does not say. If you have the 2.7 liter engine, do your headers have four (4) bungs for O2 sensors? If yes, you want to attempt to use the four oxygen sensors that came with the car in those 4 bungs. Yes, your car will run horribly if it is not receiving signals from all 4 oxygen sensors.

I have never heard of a CO2 eliminator, but I have heard of an O2 spacer. There is a procedure where you can used two oil fouler spark plug adapters, drill out the centers, connect them together, screw this into the third bung (typically the one that gives the hot signal that causes a Check Engine Light) and insert your third O2 sensor. this moves the sensor tip back 3/4 inch from the exhaust stream, still provides the digital signal but does not react/read a rich fuel mix as well (i.e. turbo deceleration spin down). This oil fouler adapter procedure is on the Internet many places.

For other cars (i.e. Chevy, Dodge), there are some software applications that can overwrite/eliminate the signal requirement to the ECU so it does not need the O2 sensor signal. I have not heard of a ECU software for the Tiburon that does the same thing. If you find one, let us know.

Byron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts