Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i own a 1995 hyundai (excel here in aus) gx.... seems the head gasket is on the way out.

Car drives fine but driving it any longer than 30min will cause it to slightly over heat and spew out some coolant from the overflow.

the engine is the g4ek, i already have new valve cover gasket and new head gasket ready to be swapped over.

Is there a diy on how to do it? What tools do i need to complete the job?

any advice would be great.

cheers

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Hi guys, i own a 1995 hyundai (excel here in aus) gx.... seems the head gasket is on the way out.

Car drives fine but driving it any longer than 30min will cause it to slightly over heat and spew out some coolant from the overflow.

the engine is the g4ek, i already have new valve cover gasket and new head gasket ready to be swapped over.

cheers
Engine Head info attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
871 Posts

cheers
Timing System info.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info man, appreciate it.. do you know if i have to remove the intake manifold and exhaust manifold to remove the head?

·
Registered
369 Posts
check your water pump/belt/thermostat and make sure water is flowing around the cooling circuit before targeting the head gasket

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
check your water pump/belt/thermostat and make sure water is flowing around the cooling circuit before targeting the head gasket

+1 This.

And the radiator cap. In fact, do a system pressure test. Don't assume the head gasket is bad just because it overheats. Get an informed hands on opinion before you invest considerable time and money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feedback guys.... well ill drain the coolant and oil and replace the water pump and thermostat and see if that does the job.... is the water pump a hard diy job to do?

I have already changed the radiator cap so that seems fine.

although im leaning towards a head gasket issue because when i look under the oil cap it looks a big milky/cottage cheesey... not a lot but enough to make me think head gasket.

anyways process of elimination i guess.

just seems odd that the car doesnt overheat, yet still coolant spews from the overflow tank and you can hear it bubbling!

·
Registered
986 Posts
thanks for the feedback guys.... well ill drain the coolant and oil and replace the water pump and thermostat and see if that does the job.... is the water pump a hard diy job to do?

I have already changed the radiator cap so that seems fine.

although im leaning towards a head gasket issue because when i look under the oil cap it looks a big milky/cottage cheesey... not a lot but enough to make me think head gasket.

anyways process of elimination i guess.

just seems odd that the car doesnt overheat, yet still coolant spews from the overflow tank and you can hear it bubbling!
the build up under your oil cap can be normal if you're driving shorter distances or less highway; generally if you drive less than 20 mins at operating temp, the engine may not be able to purge all the moisture build up.

this link has some good information: What is this white milky stuff under my oil cap?

something to check, do you get moisture drops on your dipstick, or white clouds from the exhaust? if not, then may just be a little build up under the oil cap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts