Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live about 35 miles southwest of Chicago. I receive all the area FM radio stations clearly. However, I've noticed the HD radio tuner isn't very sensitive. It works fine when I'm driving in an area with open fields around, but in normal suburban driving the HD tuner keeps cutting in and out. So much so that it makes the option pretty useless for me. Especially if I select HD2 or HD3 stations. It will cut out and I won't have anything playing until it picks up an HD signal again. Being fairly close to the Chicago radio market and not having any problem picking up regular FM signals, I figured there wouldn't be any problem listening to HD radio, but this just hasn't been the case. Anyone else having a similar problem with the sensitivity of the HD tuner?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I live about 35 miles southwest of Chicago. I receive all the area FM radio stations clearly. However, I've noticed the HD radio tuner isn't very sensitive. It works fine when I'm driving in an area with open fields around, but in normal suburban driving the HD tuner keeps cutting in and out. So much so that it makes the option pretty useless for me. Especially if I select HD2 or HD3 stations. It will cut out and I won't have anything playing until it picks up an HD signal again. Being fairly close to the Chicago radio market and not having any problem picking up regular FM signals, I figured there wouldn't be any problem listening to HD radio, but this just hasn't been the case. Anyone else having a similar problem with the sensitivity of the HD tuner?
What you are hearing is normal. I live in the Elgin area, and HD is very spotty here in the Fox Valley. If I get closer to the city, HD stays locked in pretty well.

If you are mostly driving in the fringe area, it may be best to turn the HD function off, and just use normal FM. I leave mine on most of the time. While I do get the HD fading in and out, when it works the audio quality is actually very good.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you are hearing is normal. I live in the Elgin area, and HD is very spotty here in the Fox Valley. If I get closer to the city, HD stays locked in pretty well.

If you are mostly driving in the fringe area, it may be best to turn the HD function off, and just use normal FM. I leave mine on most of the time. While I do get the HD fading in and out, when it works the audio quality is actually very good.
I agree, the HD signal is quite good. I've talked to to a couple people who also have HD radio (non Hyundai) and they said they didn't have a problem with the HD signal cutting in/out in the same general area. I'm just wondering if the tuner in our cars is just not sensitive enough.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I find it pretty useless as well. I live roughly 25 miles from midtown Manhattan and it just never stays locked onto the HD signal.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I find it pretty useless as well. I live roughly 25 miles from midtown Manhattan and it just never stays locked onto the HD signal.
HD systems are designed for major metro areas. Most station are low power and almost line of sight receiption

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HD systems are designed for major metro areas. Most station are low power and almost line of sight receiption
I would be satisfied with that, however there are other cars who's HD radios don't cut in and out within the same area. Unless I'm driving in an open area, the HD is off more than locked on. Even in an open area, it cuts in/out, but is on more than off.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What you're referring to is the Aerodynamic Stabilizer System (A.S.S.). The smart Engineers at Hyundai developed a "driver's aide" whereby you (the Driver) are steering the front of the car, while at speed, the A.S.S. is continuously making minute lateral adjustments to maximize fuel economy from the rear of the vehicle. This is controlled by the ECM which receives constant data such as pedal pressure, fuel mixture ratio, wind resistance, tire rotation speed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What you're referring to is the Aerodynamic Stabilizer System (A.S.S.). The smart Engineers at Hyundai developed a "driver's aide" whereby you (the Driver) are steering the front of the car, while at speed, the A.S.S. is continuously making minute lateral adjustments to maximize fuel economy from the rear of the vehicle. This is controlled by the ECM which receives constant data such as pedal pressure, fuel mixture ratio, wind resistance, tire rotation speed.
Sounds really interesting !!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Where I live the HD signal is about 2 or so seconds delayed, so it's annoying as hel* as it cuts in and out. Need to read the manual to learn how to turn it off. I also don't know what the 8 or 9 'HD' dots are for (HD1, HD2, etc); sometimes it's the first, others the second, etc. I always read the owner's manual in and out, but I guess didn't pay attention to that part. Don't listen to FM much, but the few times I do reception seems a bit poor indeed. Most likely an antenna effectiveness/location issue.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Where I live the HD signal is about 2 or so seconds delayed, so it's annoying as hel* as it cuts in and out. Need to read the manual to learn how to turn it off. I also don't know what the 8 or 9 'HD' dots are for (HD1, HD2, etc); sometimes it's the first, others the second, etc. I always read the owner's manual in and out, but I guess didn't pay attention to that part. Don't listen to FM much, but the few times I do reception seems a bit poor indeed. Most likely an antenna effectiveness/location issue.
HD1 HD2 etc - just different content on each of those stations.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well blow me down I didn't realize my radio had HD!!! I just went outside and turned it on and I must say I like it. There are about 20 channels here in Birmingham that broadcast in HD - so I have plenty of variety. Now makes me wonder if the XM is worth it..... :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
This does sound very interesting, but, pray tell what part of this has any bearing on the sensitivity of the FM HD receiver?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts