Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2013 Santa Fe Sport for about 8 months, and the HD radio has been one of my favorite features, working perfectly, as I live in a major metro area. (I have the large screen that came with the Technology Package.)

I recently took the car through an automatic car was, and afterward, it has a lot of trouble holding on to the HD versions of a station. It now often takes 30+seconds to locate the HD version of a station, and then repeatedly hops back and forth between the FM and HD versions. So much so, it's difficult to listen to. This is true on every station I frequently listen to. The FM reception seems pretty diminished as well.

My local Hyundai dealer says that since the car's computer shows no "error codes," then nothing is officially wrong. He offered to order a new radio anyway, but I'm hesitant to let him pull apart part of my dash assembly to replace a radio that may or may not be broken.

I'm suspicious that the problem is really a break in the connection of the antenna to the radio. When I asked if it could be the antenna, he indicated "it's hardwired, so nothing could be wrong there."

So, my questions to my Hyundai friends:

1. Has anyone else had similar problems with their HD radio (perhaps the car wash had nothing to do with mine??)
2. Does anyone know if the antenna for the HD/FM radios are housed in the shark-fin antenna that houses the SAT antenna?
3. Has anyone had a dealership replace their Tech Package Radio? How much of the dash assembly has to be removed? Do they just open the cover over the screen? Were there any resulting new rattles, damage, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've had my 2013 Santa Fe Sport for about 8 months, and the HD radio has been one of my favorite features, working perfectly, as I live in a major metro area. (I have the large screen that came with the Technology Package.)

I recently took the car through an automatic car was, and afterward, it has a lot of trouble holding on to the HD versions of a station. It now often takes 30+seconds to locate the HD version of a station, and then repeatedly hops back and forth between the FM and HD versions. So much so, it's difficult to listen to. This is true on every station I frequently listen to. The FM reception seems pretty diminished as well.

My local Hyundai dealer says that since the car's computer shows no "error codes," then nothing is officially wrong. He offered to order a new radio anyway, but I'm hesitant to let him pull apart part of my dash assembly to replace a radio that may or may not be broken.

I'm suspicious that the problem is really a break in the connection of the antenna to the radio. When I asked if it could be the antenna, he indicated "it's hardwired, so nothing could be wrong there."

So, my questions to my Hyundai friends:

1. Has anyone else had similar problems with their HD radio (perhaps the car wash had nothing to do with mine??)
2. Does anyone know if the antenna for the HD/FM radios are housed in the shark-fin antenna that houses the SAT antenna?
3. Has anyone had a dealership replace their Tech Package Radio? How much of the dash assembly has to be removed? Do they just open the cover over the screen? Were there any resulting new rattles, damage, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Looks like everything runs through the sharkfin antenna on the roof. So your problem may be there. Here's the wiring diagram to show you.

Text Line Technical drawing Diagram Font

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

(First, sorry for my english)

I have a SFS 2003 with the panoramic roof. I lost AM radio 2 months ago and now, i begin to also lost FM radio. Sometime, i select a channel and i have garbage on it and i can also listen in background the next fm channel behind the first channel.

The dealer told me last week this is not a radio problem, it's the antenna. They ask my SFS for two days to be sure to replace the antenna, removing the inside roof pading next to the panoramic roof, and going behind the radio.

At the end of the week, i'll be able to say if it was the radio or the antenna.

GPicard

·
Registered
12 Posts
My SFS was repaired today. All is working good now.

The problem was finally the antenna, just the part on the roof and the first section of cable. They don't had to unmount the radio because we have 2 junctions between antenna and the head unit.

GPicard

Hello,

(First, sorry for my english)

I have a SFS 2003 with the panoramic roof. I lost AM radio 2 months ago and now, i begin to also lost FM radio. Sometime, i select a channel and i have garbage on it and i can also listen in background the next fm channel behind the first channel.

The dealer told me last week this is not a radio problem, it's the antenna. They ask my SFS for two days to be sure to replace the antenna, removing the inside roof pading next to the panoramic roof, and going behind the radio.

At the end of the week, i'll be able to say if it was the radio or the antenna.

GPicard

·
Registered
622 Posts
My SFS was repaired today. All is working good now.

The problem was finally the antenna, just the part on the roof and the first section of cable. They don't had to unmount the radio because we have 2 junctions between antenna and the head unit.

GPicard
Glad to hear it's fixed

·
Registered
427 Posts
Shark fin????

We got stuck with the 12" whip antennas up here. (I'm jealous)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread.. But how do I know if my 2014 sf lwb limited has hd radio? I don't see the option anywhere.

Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread.. But how do I know if my 2014 sf lwb limited has hd radio? I don't see the option anywhere.

Thanks!
Your owner's manual gives a description and pictures of all radio systems installed that might help determine which head unit you have. Also, your window sticker might have a description of the options and list "HD" radio.

My 2013 SF Sport has "HD" which can be selected by the touch screen.....some FM stations have 3 different "HD" broadcasts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hmm I'd need to take a look. I figured a 2014 lwb limited with all the bells and whistles would have it!maybe it's because I'm in Canada. Although my bmw has hd radio...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Odd. My bmw certainly has had radio in Canada. Must be a Hyundai marketing research gone bad thing. Like I care anyway.. Montreal radio sucks! I've got Sirius xm and I'm a happy man. ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, the marketing marvels are something else in Canada that is for sure. I think they spend a lot of time in a Chinese restaurant as they pick one from column A and one from column B for us how nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts