Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My father is having some issues with his car Elantra that he bought 4 years ago. He hasn't had any bigger problems before.
The car is out of warranty now because the mileage went over the limit already since he goes to Florida(from Canada) every winter time.

A month ago, when he was in in Florida, the car didn't start the engine, so he called CAA(Canadian AAA). A mechanic arrived, explained that the battery needed to be changed, and then changed the battery. He didn't have the same problem ever since.

However, last week(couple weeks later since my father came back to Canada from Florida), the car didn't start the engine as usual. The ignition started but it soon turned off. He had to attempt several times including pushing the gas pedal while turning the key, and then finally he managed to turn the engine on and drove to Hyundai service.

What they did was, they changed the battery again even though the previous installed battery was new. They also cleaned the gas valve(Gasoline GDI engine intake valve deposit cleaning service), changed the spark plug, changed the bulb for the rear lamp, and some other small services. The cost was $750. $330 for part and another $330 for labor, plus tax. The car worked fine at this moment, but the strange part was that they didn't give my father previously installed battery back.

And today, the same problem came back couple times. It doesn't seem like they fixed the problem at all.

I advised my father that instead of going to the same place, try another Hyundai service and explain the situation because if he goes to the same place, they might bring up another issue and charge more money. Also I told him to try those garages at Canadian Tire since the car is out of warranty and get over with.

But my father is planning to go to the same place again. It's simply because he doesn't know what to do. I don't know what to do.

Please help me if you have any advice. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Hello,

My father is having some issues with his car Elantra that he bought 4 years ago. He hasn't had any bigger problems before.
The car is out of warranty now because the mileage went over the limit already since he goes to Florida(from Canada) every winter time.

A month ago, when he was in in Florida, the car didn't start the engine, so he called CAA(Canadian AAA). A mechanic arrived, explained that the battery needed to be changed, and then changed the battery. He didn't have the same problem ever since.

However, last week(couple weeks later since my father came back to Canada from Florida), the car didn't start the engine as usual. The ignition started but it soon turned off. He had to attempt several times including pushing the gas pedal while turning the key, and then finally he managed to turn the engine on and drove to Hyundai service.

What they did was, they changed the battery again even though the previous installed battery was new. They also cleaned the gas valve(Gasoline GDI engine intake valve deposit cleaning service), changed the spark plug, changed the bulb for the rear lamp, and some other small services. The cost was $750. $330 for part and another $330 for labor, plus tax. The car worked fine at this moment, but the strange part was that they didn't give my father previously installed battery back.

And today, the same problem came back couple times. It doesn't seem like they fixed the problem at all.

I advised my father that instead of going to the same place, try another Hyundai service and explain the situation because if he goes to the same place, they might bring up another issue and charge more money. Also I told him to try those garages at Canadian Tire since the car is out of warranty and get over with.

But my father is planning to go to the same place again. It's simply because he doesn't know what to do. I don't know what to do.

Please help me if you have any advice. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.
I know this is a silly question, but do you have a Lemon Law there?
I have a feeling I know the answer...:(

·
Registered
343 Posts
Your father has the right idea. The car is discharging the battery over time which then results in premature failure of the battery. Either there is some kind of excess draw on the battery or the charging system is not adequately recharging the battery during the car's operation, likely a failure in the alternator, poor electrical connections, or even a grounding issue.

Since the dealer failed to properly diagnose the situation before replacing the battery and plugs, they OWE your father a proper diagnosis of the underlying problem and should give him a break on the labor to repair the vehicle (replacing the alternator, fixing connections, or replacing ground strap). Your father will be on the hook for the cost of the replacement part(s) which is only fair. Good luck.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Not an answer to your problem but some of the aftermarket batteries are constructed differently for northern vs southern areas. Northern areas are optimized for CCA (cold cranking Amps) Southern batteries are optimized for surviving hot environments. They are mutually exclusive.

Good luck getting your problem solved.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Yep, the dealer should have seen that there was a new battery installed, charged it, and then load tested it. Wouldn't be the first time a brand new battery failed, but there are procedures to follow. Had the battery passed the load test the alternator output must be tested, grounds checked, and make sure there are no excess draws on the battery when the car is turned off (like brake lights staying on).

·
Registered
785 Posts
Wherever he goes, he should bring receipts of work that has been done to fix the problem so no one duplicates the same useless work. You could take it back to the same place, and maybe they'll have a better mechanic working that will solve the problem. You could always go somewhere else though too.

Also, why anyone would go to a dealer after the warranty up is beyond me... If you're out of warranty, use yelp and find a good mechanic, it's 2018... Look for a shop that has the word honest written all over the reviews.

Also, I'm going out on a limb here and just asking, but is your father as good at describing the situation as you are on these forums here? If not, perhaps along with the old receipts you should also print out your post and have him give all 3 to the next shop he goes to.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I know this is a silly question, but do you have a Lemon Law there?
I have a feeling I know the answer...:(

Lemon Law won't apply to a 4 year old car.

Reactions: KB in MD

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Lemon Law won't apply to a 4 year old car.

It does in Mass. If you pay for three attempts to fix the problem, the repair is "warrantied" until they fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, my father went to the same Hyundai Service after couple days. He said that they've done some tests but they didn't find anything. All they said was, Come back if the same problem happens again. They didn't charge anything this time luckily. Also my father asked them what happened to the battery that was installed in Florida. They just said to him that they discarded the battery. Of course people usually throw new car batteries away everyday.

But then after 10 days, today the same problem came back again. This time I was there. So when my father started the car, the car didn't start the engine as usual. Instead, it was about to stall and making noise like those cars in old cartoons about to die. Soon my father press the gas pedal couple times, then the state of the car became normal. At this moment there was a very strong gasoline smell from the car.

This time I recommended my father to go to the same Hyundai Service but he's got sick of them. So he wants to try another Hyundai service in the city. I'm just afraid they will do the same tests but don't find anything, then charge a lot of money. I just feel so bad because I was the one who recommended my father to get a Hyundai car. Feel like I'm getting punished because of that. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds to me like the dealer is either incapable of or not interested in competently and professionally addressing your father's problem with the vehicle. The correct troubleshooting procedure would be to deploy a number of diagnostic tools and tests to determine the nature and specific area of operation of the problem. Then individual component checking will cough up the problem component(s) which can then be replaced, rendering the vehicle fully back in service. Since "your" dealer isn't working toward solving the problem, your only option is to take the vehicle to a different diagnostic professional.

If it was MY car, I would take it to a different Hyundai/KIA dealer, explain the symptoms, and ask what tests and diagnostic procedures the service tech intends to perform. If the testing plan makes sense, I would authorize the work; if not, I'd leave and look for an independent ("indie") mechanic who is strong on diagnostics. Look for one who will perform auto diagnostics using SOTA equipment (i.e. expensive scan tools) for a set fee, generally discounted or waived if you have the repair work down by the same indie. Good luck, keep your bobber up, and be sure to let the forum know how you and your father make out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
So, my father went to the same Hyundai Service after couple days. He said that they've done some tests but they didn't find anything. All they said was, Come back if the same problem happens again. They didn't charge anything this time luckily. Also my father asked them what happened to the battery that was installed in Florida. They just said to him that they discarded the battery. Of course people usually throw new car batteries away everyday.

But then after 10 days, today the same problem came back again. This time I was there. So when my father started the car, the car didn't start the engine as usual. Instead, it was about to stall and making noise like those cars in old cartoons about to die. Soon my father press the gas pedal couple times, then the state of the car became normal. At this moment there was a very strong gasoline smell from the car.

This time I recommended my father to go to the same Hyundai Service but he's got sick of them. So he wants to try another Hyundai service in the city. I'm just afraid they will do the same tests but don't find anything, then charge a lot of money. I just feel so bad because I was the one who recommended my father to get a Hyundai car. Feel like I'm getting punished because of that. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
The strong gas smell was likely due to him pressing the gas when it was about to stall and running in a very lean condition (unburnt gas) Are you still having the dead battery situation?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts