Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search in the forum to see if anyone is having the same issue or not.... I could not find any topic on my problem.
I just picked up my 2011 Sonata SE in June and have had the problem of not always being able to "shut off" the car when I put the car in park and press the Start/Stop button. The engine will shut off and the dashboard lights will go off but the Nav unit will continue to stay on. So the "fix" is for me to firmly press the gear shifter into PARK and press the button again. Then everything goes off as it should. This does not happen every time but enough to become frustrating.
I've already taken it back to the dealership for them to correct the problem but they can not seem to re-create it and their diagnostic reader can not find any error codes. Of course, I get the look that I am completely crazy as I sit in the car pressing the stupid button 15 times to simulate the problem and can't....
So I've turned to the forum for any information.
This is my first vehicle with key-less ignition so I am hoping that this issue is user error. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (NY_Sonata @ Jul 13 2010, 03:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341432
Did a quick search in the forum to see if anyone is having the same issue or not.... I could not find any topic on my problem.
I just picked up my 2011 Sonata SE in June and have had the problem of not always being able to "shut off" the car when I put the car in park and press the Start/Stop button. The engine will shut off and the dashboard lights will go off but the Nav unit will continue to stay on. So the "fix" is for me to firmly press the gear shifter into PARK and press the button again. Then everything goes off as it should. This does not happen every time but enough to become frustrating.
I've already taken it back to the dealership for them to correct the problem but they can not seem to re-create it and their diagnostic reader can not find any error codes. Of course, I get the look that I am completely crazy as I sit in the car pressing the stupid button 15 times to simulate the problem and can't....
So I've turned to the forum for any information.
This is my first vehicle with key-less ignition so I am hoping that this issue is user error. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks
i had this exact problem 2 weeks ago....what I did to fix it was removed the shift lock "button", stuck a long flat head screwdriver in there and moved the shift lever back and forward until it locked into a gear. All was good after that

·
Registered
486 Posts
See camapign for ipod power stays on all the time and causes battery drain ., Sounds like the shifter in not fully going into park ( aleast the switch dosen't think so ) at times. Some other threads on this in the past two months.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's NOT the start/stop button, but the park switch. If car detects lever is not in P, it leaves 'ACC' on, and you need to press the switch again when car is in P. Since your car is in P, but sensor doesn't detect it, repositioning the switch should clear the issue. Or simply tightening the screw, whichever the case might be. I'd do it myself, but find out how to remove the trim piece for the shift lever. Or simply take it in. Good luck.

·
Registered
486 Posts
[attachment=19381:10_01_017.pdf]....Campaign 10-10-017, Accessory power remains on.

I will see if I can locate this for you or a link. You just remove the shift knob, then check rod distance length, cut to spec measurement if nec, reinstall, Done.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jul 14 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341828
[attachment=19381:10_01_017.pdf]....Campaign 10-10-017, Accessory power remains on.

I will see if I can locate this for you or a link. You just remove the shift knob, then check rod distance length, cut to spec measurement if nec, reinstall, Done.

Thanks Snapper41 ! :liebe011: I have tried everything else so far with no luck. Not looking forward to taking back to the dealership, if I don't have to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So what's the DIY fix for this. We just picked up our SE this past Saturday and with less than 200 miles on the odometer, we encountered this problem twice today. I'm not too familiar with Hyundais specifically, but I'm no stranger to vehicles in general and I have to agree that it's the Park switch in the shift lever assembly. The give away for us is that the doors aren't unlocking and we have the car set so that the doors lock when placed in Reverse or Drive and unlock when placed in Park.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (NBCGLX @ Oct 6 2010, 07:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361647
So what's the DIY fix for this.
Just download (or open) the TSB 2 posts above yours; instructions are there. I'm curious how easy the knob pops up, and if there's a tab or just pure friction holding it in place. Could you post your results when done? And if you do it, make sure to spray the switch with silicone lube, besides positioning the switch correctly. Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 7 2010, 12:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361794
Just download (or open) the TSB 2 posts above yours; instructions are there. I'm curious how easy the knob pops up, and if there's a tab or just pure friction holding it in place. Could you post your results when done? And if you do it, make sure to spray the switch with silicone lube, besides positioning the switch correctly. Good luck.
But that TSB is regarding the length of the shifter rod. Judging by the info contained in the PDF, it would seem that the TSB only applies to earlier production vehicles, which mine is not. In addition, and perhaps I missed it, but does the TSB point to where the actual park switch is located and how to adjust it and/or lubricate it? I'm very much a DIY person when it comes to cars, but my familiarity is with European cars and I have access to all kinds of repair, electronic et al info for those cars. The Sonata? Not so much, so you can see why I'm hesitant to just start pulling things apart.

·
Registered
185 Posts
QUOTE (NBCGLX @ Oct 6 2010, 08:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361647
So what's the DIY fix for this. We just picked up our SE this past Saturday and with less than 200 miles on the odometer, we encountered this problem twice today. I'm not too familiar with Hyundais specifically, but I'm no stranger to vehicles in general and I have to agree that it's the Park switch in the shift lever assembly. The give away for us is that the doors aren't unlocking and we have the car set so that the doors lock when placed in Reverse or Drive and unlock when placed in Park.

I had the same issue, dealer replaced Brake switch and problem went away so far. He said its a known issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts