Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '04 Xg350 and the water pump recently went out in it and left me sit so I got it to the mechanics and he replaced the water pump the timing belt and a couple other belts he said was worn this was like 1 week ago he also said the timing was off he said he would fix the timing with everything else. So we have had the car and have been running it for about a week with no problems except for last night my husband took it to work it was fine running it there but I get a call and he said there is something really wrong with the car he starts it and over the phone I can hear a loud I can only explain it as a knocking/tapping but tapping like it is out of oil tapping x30 that is how loud it is so we have had it towed to the same mechanic today but my question is could it be the timing because we really don't want to pay for something that might not have been our fault we just payed $633 for the other work it showed no problem and we don't understand how if it is a rocker or something why it didn't show signs of going I mean we just had it in the garage they should have seen something the car is inoperatable right now. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
XGs have a timing belt tensioner which is known to have problems if you try to reuse it when you change the timing belt. So the question in my mind is did the mechanic use the same tensioner? If so, you"re probably SOL since now it has other damage. It's not the mechanics fault because you're supposed to be able to reuse it. The timing kit is like $400 on eBay, so it's likely he just did the belt.

I don't understand why he let the car leave the shop if the timing was not correct. These are not cars where you "set the timing" like in the old days. Timing is controlled electronically, so if the timing is not correct, it means the belt was not on correctly...eh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Timing-Belt...s#ht_1795wt_732

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, I don't like the sound of "adjusting the timing" on the XG engine.
BTW, the timing tension adjuster (hydraulic component) is about $50 at Rock Auto. The tensioner itself, which is the eccentric pulley, is about 25-30.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses to my problem. We towed the car to the garage and got the call it was the timing they didn't replace the belt right in the first place and it threw the timing off and it bent the valves so we need a whole new engine it was the garage's fault so now we have 2 deal with there insurance company and take it to the dealership for a new engine. I am very thankful that the garage will take care of their responsability in this because there is no way around it it is their fault.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie2760 @ Jul 2 2010, 03:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338225
Thank you for the responses to my problem. We towed the car to the garage and got the call it was the timing they didn't replace the belt right in the first place and it threw the timing off and it bent the valves so we need a whole new engine it was the garage's fault so now we have 2 deal with there insurance company and take it to the dealership for a new engine. I am very thankful that the garage will take care of their responsability in this because there is no way around it it is their fault.

wow, that's an expensive mistake on thier part, good for you that they are putting thier hands up to it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts