Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so back when i bought my car ( many of you know used ) i couldn't tell if it had original pads ( im sure it did only 22k on it when i got i), but after a while i would get these annoying squeaks and they just progressively got worse. So last week i was fed up and went to buy brakes and changed them, my rotors seem fine perfect really smooth still so i didnt change those out. The pads i got were not from hyundai made by another company BUT OEM material so they were just like the originals just by a different company.Well changed them out and car felt GREAT stopping power felt way better. Tonight when i was on the interstate 15 with my girlfriend and some idiot in front of us decides to slam on his brakes for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING so of course i had to jam on mine and sonata immediately reacted which was good so switched lanes got away from that person and went on my way but had to hit my brakes again shortly after and got this rumble from left and right :eek: and thought to myself WTF is that. The steering wheel doesnt shake at all just makes this rumble noise and it does not do it all the time (seems to only do it when i have to hit the brakes hard), once i kept driving and used my brakes again the car was fine so im trying to think of what it could be. Are the pads sticking or what could it be????? any opinions would help because i dont know what to do. Also get this popping noise when i hit the brakes at very low speeds like when going forward in a drive threw that started before i changed the pads.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Hi V. I had the same thing happen to me in Miami. I drove off in my fixed Car, and couldn't use my Brakes. The Rumbling was

horrible, and I returned to the Dealership as they were closing thinking I should call the Police and make a report. Plus I wanted to

Cry. It was similar to a full size Airplane slowing down. Anyway the Service Manager put 4 new Rotors on at 400 Miles, and

the shaking went away. I am very aware that the Sonata is prone to this. I have 23K now, and my Pads & Rotors are doing fine :thumbsup:

Hope you are too!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And im not looking forward to replacing the rotors already hmmmmmm alright well ill look into it more and see what i can find its just weird that it started and the rotors feel and look fine no warping.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (V6 Sonata @ Jun 1 2010, 08:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328617
And im not looking forward to replacing the rotors already hmmmmmm alright well ill look into it more and see what i can find its just weird that it started and the rotors feel and look fine no warping.
A bunch of rust growth on the hub and rotor mating surfaces will set a rotor sideways and swash, grab it with the pads/calipers and the swinging weight will create vibrations..

Inspect rotor face runout with a dial indicator, do same for hub and rotor stacked up where wheel mates to rotor.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 1 2010, 07:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328658
V also keep in mind while the Rotors supposedly have our 5/60 coverage, you have extended coverage that might take care of this?
Ill have to look into it but its just making the dealer trip that makes me not really wanna go.It just strikes me wired because they are as smooth as can be and it does not do it every time i brake like it traditionally happens when you need rotors that the steering wheel shakes and you can tell.It just seems to be when i have to brake hard and there for after for a little while. Think im gonna pull my tires off again and unloosen then re tighten everything something just is not adding up here.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Check and see if the Weights might have fell off. As you know I love that Sonata, but what happened to me & you can happen to anyone.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Lot's of people don't bleed brakes because they don't open the system there for don't see the need. When I did my front brakes, I bled all 4 wheels to get a little fresh fluid, which ended up being about half a pint added, would have been more but I was bleeding the brakes by myself. For some reason the left rear had some air in it, I could have sworn it shot out and might have heard a small ammount of air release.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 2 2010, 08:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328818
Check and see if the Weights might have fell off. As you know I love that Sonata, but what happened to me & you can happen to anyone.
Off of where?
I think im just gonna pull the rotors off and take them to get machined or whatever its called and get somewhat some life out of them. Ill replace them soon just dont feel like doing that now as everywhere im looking its about $115 for a pair of stock ones :eek:

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (V6 Sonata @ Jun 3 2010, 09:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329213
Off of where?
I think im just gonna pull the rotors off and take them to get machined or whatever its called and get somewhat some life out of them. Ill replace them soon just dont feel like doing that now as everywhere im looking its about $115 for a pair of stock ones :eek:
They are mounted on the outside of the Wheel. Off the Tire?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 3 2010, 09:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329225
They are mounted on the outside of the Wheel. Off the Tire?
ohh ok ok noo they are there lol just checked them, that reminds me gotta get my wheels rotated :thumbsup:

So many things at once just replaced the battery also!

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (V6 Sonata @ Jun 3 2010, 01:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329297
ohh ok ok noo they are there lol just checked them, that reminds me gotta get my wheels rotated :thumbsup:

So many things at once just replaced the battery also!
After a Rotation too If they don't torque the lug nuts the Car can shake. I don't want anyone touching that Sonata

especially the parts you have named. My Tech sanded the Rotors and wrecked them. I assume one really hard stomp on I 15

can cause similar Rotor damage. V, I had a Florida FHP do the same thing to me, on an empty Freeway at 4 AM. I had my Fog

lights on, and he was looking for something? He pulled right in front of me, and slammed on his Brakes. That is really different. :whistling:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 3 2010, 02:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329312
After a Rotation too If they don't torque the lug nuts the Car can shake. I don't want anyone touching that Sonata

especially the parts you have named. My Tech sanded the Rotors and wrecked them. I assume one really hard stomp on I 15

can cause similar Rotor damage. V, I had a Florida FHP do the same thing to me, on an empty Freeway at 4 AM. I had my Fog

lights on, and he was looking for something? He pulled right in front of me, and slammed on his Brakes. That is really different. :whistling:
Ok so got them done at oreilly auto here in town.They charged me $15 a rotor no tax and did a GREAT job. I was really skeptical about them doing it but my buddy just got his done

there also last week and he said they did a good job so i pulled the trigger. I took them off which actually was not as hard as i though it was going to be. They took about 30min to do

them,came home slapped them on and went for a drive and WOW what a difference.My Titan and Tahoe are gonna be sitting for a bit as i am back in the sonata.Fresh battery,brakes

and basically rotors too and gave her a nice bath.Next on the list is a rotation,oil change, and our trusty 3rd brake light (wiring or housing is lose).

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Excellent, and that you still get a kick out of the 06 Sonata when you have a whole Fleet of newer Cars! :thumbsup:

You are an inspiration to all us NF Sonata owners, V! So they put new Rotors on, or machined them and you put in Pads?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 5 2010, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330003
Excellent, and that you still get a kick out of the 06 Sonata when you have a whole Fleet of newer Cars! :thumbsup:

You are an inspiration to all us NF Sonata owners, V! So they put new Rotors on, or machined them and you put in Pads?
Love that car, i ended up taking both sides off...rotors and pads and took the rotors down to get the machined. At the time they guy that was helping me informed me that i had just purchased the pads with a LT warranty so they ended up giving me new pads to put on with the rotors. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 5 2010, 01:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330060
Man you get Warranties coming at you from everywhere. Just be careful on I 15. You know we lost Sam Kinison out here in Needles
Yup i here you , also i dont know if you have heard but the recent attacks of someone shooting out rear windows with a BB gun.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (V6 Sonata @ Jun 6 2010, 10:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330325
Yup i here you , also i dont know if you have heard but the recent attacks of someone shooting out rear windows with a BB gun.
Oh they use real Guns in this part of San Bernardino County, the largest County in the Country. Plus in Arizona & Nevada you can

get a permit to Carry, like Florida. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts