Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anybody here has used either BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport or Altimax RT43 on Sonata.
What's your impression?

I've used (and liked) Altimax RT43 on Altima, - but there is a clear match even in the name. :)
Advantage T/A Sport seems to get somewhat better ratings on tirerack (but much fewer reviews overall).

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't know if this will help you, but I have used the tires on an Elantra. The RT's are better than the TA's Ride-wise. The RT's hold their traction well in dry and wet conditions, until tires get to the 4/32 mark, then they, like the TA's and most other tires, get squirrely in wet. Both are not worth anything in snow. The TA is a firmer ride and more tire noise permeated the cabin when rolling over bumps. I was generally happy with the RT's (in the "H" rated), and would buy them again. Tire sized were 205/45R17. Both tires are pretty close in performance, withe the TA being a bit rougher. If you really want smooth and quiet with excellent traction, the Pirelli Cinataro P7 comers to mind.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, @Propflux01!

I enjoyed RT43 (also H) on Altima, and that's why I was glad to see it was available in Sonata's size.The main reason I was looking at T/A's is the reviews that suggest those are somewhat better, including categories related to the ride quality.
At this point, it looks like I am not going to encounter snow that frequently. And if that happens, it would like be a very different situation, requiring many things done differently. So, I am not that much concerned about it.

It doesn't look like Pirelli Cinturato P7 is easily available in 205 65/R16 size (for Sonata SE): even though it exists on Pireli's website, I cannot find it at any of the typical stores.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@2013migt
Would you mind elaborating on that? What's so different in RT43 pattern?
I've never felt anything unsafe while driving on grooved roads. (Or, maybe you mean something different from what I am thinking about?)

·
Registered
168 Posts
What I experienced on the General Altimax RT43 is called tracking according to the General Tire people.

It is because of the symmetrical tire pattern this tire has and the longitudinal grooved roads that I drove on the Michigan expressways.

The safety issue I experienced caused the rear end of my vehicle to oscillate in the longitudinal grooved roads that exist in Michigan and other states.
It caused me to slow down to 45 MPH on a 70 MPH road when wet or snow covered or I would loose control of the rear end of the vehicle.

I explained the problem to General Tire and they recommend a non-symetrical tread pattern tire but they did make one in my tire size, so they told me to take the tires back to the tire dealer and get a refund.

I had the 4 Altimax RT43 tires removed and got another brand tire that had a non-symetrical tire pattern and drove over the same roads that I had the oscillation safety problem on, and the problem was gone !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.