Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this issue for a while now, but since it's relatively minor and curable, I haven't posted about it yet..... The 2 side mirrors get "lazy" after not adjusting them for a while, and won't respond to the electric lever on the driver's door. Even in the summer, I find myself playing with the lever for a long minute before it starts responding at all, usually I'll be moving it vertically all the way up and down, before it will respond also to any horizontal adjustment.....

.....Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yep, see it on all our models.. you can touch switch and mirror goes from Southwest to northeast, rather than north / south.

I suspect the switch gets goofed inside. I take them and push down on the left / right mirror select buttom and rock it side to side a bunch of times to try to wipe the contacts off,, works majority of time.. I think what they need to do is pack the switch with a water repellent lube or something.

Not many people complain, as seems likely nobody else drive car to need adjustment.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes I have the same problem. Took it to the dealer once and had it checked but because they were able to get it to work they didn't do anything about. It doesn't bother me too much since I don't need to adjust them very often and can get them to work when needed.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I think this is an old Kia / Hyundai problem. My 2001 Kia Optima has always had sluggish electric side mirrors. They don't always respond to moving the direction you are telling them to go. I usually try another direction and just get it to "unseat" itself, and then it works in all directions. Sometimes a little jerky. The good news is that it was that way when it was new, and is still that way today, with no failures. My 2011 is very similar. I was hoping it would be improved by now, but thats the way it goes.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 23 2010, 04:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365728
Yep, see it on all our models.. you can touch switch and mirror goes from Southwest to northeast, rather than north / south.

I suspect the switch gets goofed inside. I take them and push down on the left / right mirror select buttom and rock it side to side a bunch of times to try to wipe the contacts off,, works majority of time.. I think what they need to do is pack the switch with a water repellent lube or something.

Not many people complain, as seems likely nobody else drive car to need adjustment.
Maybe I should use Silicone lubricant, using the long thin pipe to send it behind the mirror, into the inside of the system?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Same thing happends to my sonata after not adjusting them for a while and i go to move them it dosent respond right away dosent happen all the time just every once in a while and its happend since i got my car new so i think its a defect in the car but its not that big a deal a little moving the switch around and it starts to move gotta love that hyundi quality :)

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Oct 24 2010, 01:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365829
wierd, i havnt had a single problem yet and i adjust my mirror all the time (only the passenger side) when i parallel park so i can see how close my wheel is to the curb so i wont curb them lol
That's the very reason, using it frequently keeps it going. It is the infrequent usage that causes the mechanism to get stuck and sluggish to respond....

Hey, what about my Silicone lubricant idea? SBR? Anybody? What you say?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Had mine checked at the dealer twice while it was there for other issues.

SHOCKINGLY they "couldn't duplicate" it and "had never heard of it being an issue". Advised to bring it in next time it does it.........except that once you adjust it to drive the 20 miles to dealer it's already fixed as described! :liebe011: FOR NOTHING!!!!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (Sequoiasoon @ Oct 25 2010, 04:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366085
SHOCKINGLY they "couldn't duplicate" it
So now wait another six months, maybe a year -- AND DON'T YOU DARE TRY ADJUSTING THOSE SIDE MIRRORS DURING THAT TIME! Then, somewhere around July 2011, stop by at your dealer, and let him try it. I assure you it WILL be duplicated, easy.

OK, so hey, I DEMAND some reaction to my Silicone lubricant idea ?!?!!! You can't just IGNORE ME ?!??!!

:liebe011: :liebe011: :liebe011: :liebe011: :liebe011:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I tell ya what...............you spray and report back. :banana: But don't move it until june 2011......then give us a report. :thumbsup:

Give it a spray can't hurt anything unless the spray comes out and hits you in the eye. Wear eye protection. :gitara:

I can't stop laughing...way too funny. I'm working way too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts