Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a 2018 sonata SE for less than a month and i absolutely hate it. about 1700 miles on it so far. The two things i like about my sonata are the mpg and the radio (infotainment system). i tried liking the car, i just dont. as a sidenote: i did like 2015/2016/2017 sonatas. ive driven them all. i dont know what it is about the '18 model.

Ideas on where I can sell it and recoup back as much as possible? I purchased it new, still has the new car smell. i know i'll take a hit financially.

i bought it for the wife and she doesn't like it either. :frown: :|
she currently drives my genesis.

thanks ya'll

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's the same exact car as the 15-17s. Maybe you don't like that the HVAC and radio controls are split? At 1 month you'll take the biggest percentage loss throughout the cars lifetime

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
Have a 2018 sonata SE for less than a month and i absolutely hate it. about 1700 miles on it so far. The two things i like about my sonata are the mpg and the radio (infotainment system). i tried liking the car, i just dont. as a sidenote: i did like 2015/2016/2017 sonatas. ive driven them all. i dont know what it is about the '18 model.

Ideas on where I can sell it and recoup back as much as possible? I purchased it new, still has the new car smell. i know i'll take a hit financially.

i bought it for the wife and she doesn't like it either. :frown: :|
she currently drives my genesis.

thanks ya'll

Don't feel alone. I've dumped more than a few with almost no miles. One only had 750 miles on the clock. Rode like a log truck. I hated that thing.

You can't compare the Hyundai with the Genesis. I owned a G80 until I damaged the front end and traded it on a 2018 Tucson Limited. $1,000 to replace the front facia. What a rip-off. Drove and rode wonderfully but I wasn't going to spend the money. And I got $4,750 in rebates so I'm happy. I hated that pano roof anyway.

Time will tell. I did OK. And I had bought the G80 right to begin with. If you have a good relationship with the dealer perhaps you can do an even trade on a 2017 you do like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i financed through my bank for the purchase of the sonata.

i dont want to trade it in, would rather just sell it. but a trade may be an option just to get rid of it.

thanks

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
i financed through my bank for the purchase of the sonata.

i dont want to trade it in, would rather just sell it. but a trade may be an option just to get rid of it.

thanks

The aggravation of selling it is not worth it unless you have a high tolerance level although I have sold a number of vehicles.

I don't see why it makes any difference how long you have had it. Chances are there are additional rebates and incentives available since you bought the Sonata.

If I may, what do you so dislike about it?

And if you want a perfectly fine car consider an Azera or Cadenza. There is a 2016 Azera Limited in Memphis for about $24K. The list is $40,400 and it has all of 6,500 miles on the clock with a clean carfax.

I have owned three of them and they are wonderful cars. The Cadenza is very similar but takes a huge hit on depreciation. So you can make it up that way.

On that 2016 as compared to a brand new 2017 (last model year imported) there is zero difference. So right out of the gate you would be saving $16,000. The sales manager has been nagging me to come and buy it but the truth is I don't need another new car. I've owned 39 new cars in my lifetime and they are little more than major appliances with wheels. I got rid of the Genesis because of the low overhang and I didn't want to shell out $1,000 to repair it and got a pretty decent deal on the Tucson.

What exactly are you looking for in a vehicle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got a 18 Sonata SEL 2.4 motor.
Absolutely love my Sonata.

And I know that the car is new its tight and may not get the fuel milage you are lookin for.

It my car gets 33 mpg. I ain't worried.
At the price of fuel I an not getting uptight over furl milage.

Seems that if everybody don't get max fuel milage that they have a problem.
Talk to the Head person at the service dept. Plus your salesman.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would also like to know what you don't really like about your new Sonata. I purchased 2018 Limited with Ultimate pkg and already put 24k miles in it. I am enjoying every single ride in it. I keep it clean all the time, still smells brand new inside. One thing I wish I had was black interior instead of gray as I sat in the black one and it felt/looked more "luxurious". Oh well.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
If you have no deductible theft insurance, leave it running in a ghetto bodega parking spot while you shop for cigarettes, beer, or cola. In the wrong neighborhood, it'll disappear quickly all by itself.

Reactions: Spotoe

·
Registered
274 Posts
As no one is really buying?leasing Sonatas ,not even a thief will want to steal the Sonata.It will just sit there and sit and sit till it runs out of gas
That is why I love mine. Not too many of them out there and no one would want to steal it. I don't have to worry about anyone wanting to steal my rims as they do with Hondas etc... I see only a good sides of owning one. :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is why I love mine. Not too many of them out there and no one would want to steal it. I don't have to worry about anyone wanting to steal my rims as they do with Hondas etc... I see only a good sides of owning one. :wink:
If I see any 18 Sonatas in our area, they are always white. Except the blue one I saw a couple days ago. LOL. Otherwise, they are all white.

Which isnt a bad thing. I love the color on this car. I am thinking about taking the white bumpers off the doors since they arent the same white as the paint, along with the pinstripe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wondering who buys a car they dont like!?? ? Didn't you test drive it first? Or at least think about it for awhile before signing on the dotted line? Damm...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Some states have a 30 day buy back rule. A sort of "Buyers Remorse" law. Check with your dealer. If you have purchased your last three from that dealer, then definitely call them up. They should not want to lose you as a customer, give them a chance to fix this.

My 2¢

RB

·
Registered
30 Posts
I personally liked my Sonata a lot the first time I test drove it.

Of course, if you're coming from a Genesis then the differences are going to be quite big.

I personally want a Genesis G70-G80 in 1-2 years. They're beautiful cars and they drive and ride amazing. I was thoroughly surprised when I drove a G80 a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I rented a LF and took it on vacation before I bought one.
Made sure I could live with the car before I made the deal and signed my name.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts