Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 08 Accent Hatchback. The trunk door knob(the black plastic hinge thing which you pull to open the trunk, not sure if I call it right) does not reset. I mean after pulling it to open the trunk, it's stuck instead of going back. I need to press it to original position, so the trunk door can be locked. I can see a rusty spring behind the black piece of plastic. Not sure where is the problem(maybe the spring?). How can I fix it. Please give some step-by-step instructions. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If anybody finds the miracle cure for this, let me know. Same problem and WD-40 only seems to buy time until it gums up again.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Mine has gotten bad enough that I just have to remember to push the lever back every time I open the hatch.

The back of the car gets dirty pretty quick, all that dirt and grime getting blasted right up into that lever. It'll just keep happening no matter what you do.

I should probably go lube mine up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is what I had to do on my 08 when I bought it this summer. This took an hour or so and involved taking the trim panel off the inside of the hatch and using power tools. If you are not comfortable with either of those this is not your solution.

Take the handle off the car.

There is a pin going through the handle that rusts, causing the handle to sieze. You have to grind the end off the pin (one end is kind of rolled over, that's the end you want). After this, take the pin out of the handle and sand all the rust off.

Next, drill out the holes going through the handle to the next bigger size so that when the pin gets a little rusty again it won't sieze into the handle.

Now you have to drill and tap a small hole in the end of the pin and get a screw with a pan head on it for that small hole.

Reinstall the pin taking care to put the spring back on the way it was originally. Put the screw in to secure the pin.

Finally spray the pin with a good lube, I personally used motorcylxe chain wax so it will stick on there longer.

Reinstall the handle onto the car and you are good to go.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me. Here's some pix for the thread.

I got a piece of Reddi Rod and some kep nuts. Tried to drill out the peened end but it was so rusted the bar was stuck so you can see where I started cutting the bar with the Dremel. Then had to hog out the metal eyelets and the handle plastic a little to let the SAE rod slide into a metric hole, but being just a wee hair oversize might make it not seize as readily if the new piece rusts out like the old one. Also coated the whole thing liberally with dielectric grease (highly water resistant) so it should last a while. Locktite the nuts because you can't tighten them too much or else you accomplish nothing!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
And...serendipity (def: dumb @$$ s#!t luck!) the rod and nuts (boy, does THAT sound obscene! :eek:) just fit into the opening! In fact, if you actually take the time to measure, you don't even need the nuts at all! Just cut the rod to the right length, put the handle back on the hatch, and when you replace the trim piece just line the rod up so it fits inside the opening! In fact, if you look carefully, you can see the rod ends touching the trim piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
And it's only $34 from Hyundai!

However, my repair cost $1.92. And a scraped thumbnail.

I already had the hatch trim panels removed, and getting the handle trim piece off was nothing.

However, glad it worked for you! (And I see there's 5 more available...;) )

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can tell you first hand that the optional mid-wing spoiler just makes it worse. I'm forever picking out stone grit and maple keys that get wedged in the little drainage gap between the spoiler and the hatch.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
But does it keep mud from sticking to the hatch and the window?

Mine does not have the rear wiper and I sure wish it did. I'm even thinking of sourcing a bone yard hatch with one!

·
Registered
329 Posts
But does it keep mud from sticking to the hatch and the window?
No, it definitely does not -- or at least the effect is negligible. I use the rear wiper often enough that I forget it isn't standard on all the cars (even just to clear the morning dew, since I park outside), and I feel for you that it's missing on yours. My only complaint about the system in general is that the wiper switch is a twist on/off style on the indicator stalk, and I really feel that a momentary-style button switch would be more appropriate. I've never left it on longer than a few sweeps.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Ah...but I have one of these!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Actually, I meant momentary as in "I hold it to make it work". I literally can't imagine wanting the rear wiper to stay on, intermittent or not.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Actually, I meant momentary as in "I hold it to make it work". I literally can't imagine wanting the rear wiper to stay on, intermittent or not.
I had a really cool job at a lens manufacturer, and due to mismanagement of the company I (and others) were laid off. I got a job delivering newspapers in the middle of the night, in 2007, one of the snowiest winters in the past 50 years. I bought a 1989 Subaru Coupe with AWD and would go off on my rounds. It was a real pain turning the wiper on and off, on and off, so I picked this little gem up for $12.

If I ever get that hatch, I don't have the built in control, so I'll find some place to mount the control! ;)

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
PS: A momentary switch would be pretty easy to hook up. I believe all the controls on the stalk go to ground when turned "on", so you just need to find the correct point in the connector, connect a wire, add a nice looking switch on the dash or console tied to ground and you'd have it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts