Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you want to remove your rear spoiler on your hatchback? Well here's how to do it.

Tools you will need.
1/4" ratchet with 6" extension and 10mm socket
Philips Head Screw Driver
Patience

I will post a step by step, and then post the pictures in the correct order. (NOTE: THE FIRST 4 PICTURES ON THE TOP ROW ARE GOT POSTED BACKWARDS. The first picture is actually the 4th step, the second picture is the 3rd step, the 3rd picture is the 2nd step, and the 4th picture is the 1st step. All others are in correct order.

Step 1: Open Rear Hatch

Step 2: Remove trim from around the rear glass. Start with the two side pieces, and then the top piece. These are simply snapped into place, so you will need NO tools. You do NOT have to remove the lower big plastic piece (the one closest to the latch)

Step 3: Remove all 5 nuts from the spoiler studs. These are located on the inside of the hatch (noted by red arrows in the pictures) These are the 10mm nuts that you will need your ratchet for. After removal, place all 5 nuts on the back "shelf" that goes over the storage area so that you do not lose them.

Step 4: Close the Hatch

Step 5: With your fingers, pry up on one side of the spoiler. You will have to pry hard. The spoiler will more than likely NOT come lose on the first pry. Go to the other side of the spoiler and pry up on that one as well. It took me prying up on both sides 3 times before the sticky tape finally broke lose. There is a small strip of sticky tape at the top of the spoiler on the underside. You will know when it comes loose.

Step 6: Once you have broken the tape loose, you should be able to pull up the spoiler far enough that the bolts clear the car, and then you can turn the spoiler around. NOTE: I DID NOT UNPLUG THE LIGHT. YOU CAN IF YOU WISH, BUT I SIMPLY ROTATED IT AROUND TO GET TO THE LED STRIP. If you unplug the LED strip, you will have to unplug it from the inside (the white plug under the trim you just took off, and then try to pull the plug and wire through the hole in the rear hatch, and then your whole spoiler should be completely free from the car, and the light should come completely free from the spoiler.

Step 7: On the underside of the spoiler are 4 philip head screws that need to be removed in order to remove the LED light from the spoiler itself

Step 8: Replacement of all parts is reverse of removal.

Before you think about cutting into your 3rd brake light, I called the dealership and was given a price of $117 for a new one.

[attachment=15153:_1.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
EXCELLENT JOB!!! I needed that myself, getting to much water in the lens, I'll put some clear silicone on it this time and be done with it. :liebe011:

·
Registered
819 Posts
awesome write up Pastor! I dont have the patience to write something this detailed up.
StevenWang-You STILL havent finished tinting the 3rd brake light? post pics of the back when ur done i wanna see what it looks like on white

·
1,565 Posts
Hey mods, can we move this to the Accent 3g library on top?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.