Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

I was hoping for a quick answer to a question I posted in the Suspension, Wheels & Tires Forum HERE. Unfortunately, it appears not too many visit the Technical Section of the site so I am going to try in the YF Sonata Forum as well.

<blockquote>Specifically, I am trying to determine if a 235/50R-17 winter tire mounted on an aftermarket 17" x 7.5" wheel with a +40 offset will rub on the SE's front wheel well lip or liner in a turn or with the strut compressed.</blockquote>
If you follow the link above to the original thread, I have attached the results of the Offset Calculator. You can see the tire/wheel move to the outside, and all of the exact measures. I have concerns given the results but don't know how to figure just 'how close is too close'.

Is anyone actually running this tire/wheel size combo currently? Is anyone running an aftermarket tire/wheel in any size combo that resulted in similar lip clearance, and able to comment whether it worked OK or caused problems? If no, is there a 'rule-of-thumb' measure from the lip one need maintain at rest with wheels straight, to safely avoid the potential of rubbing in a turn or with the strut compressed, or both? Any 'gut feelings' or comments on using this wheel/tire as a winter package on my '11 SE?

Would appreciate any insight and input. With 12" of fresh snow outside and a couple of commutes with the oem tires under my belt, it is clear decisions must be made quickly. Thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well one thing is your going with a tire that is about 3/4" wider then stock and that is not the ideal thing when going with snow tires since your track is wider and won't "cut" through the snow as well as a more narrow tire.

With the wider tire and and the wheel being moved out about 1/4" I would be concerned that there would be rubbing involved.

Is this a set up you already have ready to bolt on or is this a custom set up your thinking about going with? I know when you go to tire rack to get pricing on winter tire packages they only offer 16" packages for all levels of trim.

My suggestion is to give tire rack a call and get an answer from them afterall they deal with tire and wheel fitment questions all day everyday. They will probably be able to tell you a lot quicker then a forum.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@SExy__Sonata

Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I do realize 235's winter skins are not optimal for this car, but at less than 1/3 the cost of a new winter tire and wheel package from the TireRack I'm hoping to justify it. Maybe things have changed but my past experience with the online tire/wheel supplier CSR's (not just at TireRack) is that they will shy away from making any specific suggestions that deviate even slightly from their published recommendations. I'm really not a fan of the TireRack recommended winter tire size of 205/65-16 either, seeing as it is ~2.0% fast and there are other size options closer in diameter. In fact, one reason I am willing to go with this used package is because I can ultimately fit either 225/50-17 (0.4% fast) or 205/55-17 (0.36% fast) to the 17" x 7.5" wheels for only slightly more per tire than the 16's, or even a 215/55-17 (1.3% slow) for the same price. Personally, I think a little less sidewall looks better on the modern lines of a YF Sonata, so all things equal I'd pick the 17" over the 16" wheels for aesthetic reasons anyway. I don't use my car as a 4x4 substitute and feel I could probably get along just fine with this package providing it fits, in any event it would still be a -huge- improvement over the oem Opti-uhohs in the slop.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have 225/35/19 with a +40. Fits fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Ayces @ Dec 22 2010, 06:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382328
I have 225/35/19 with a +40. Fits fine.
G'morning Ayces,

I see your wheel/tire combo is actually shorter and skinnier than what I was attempting to fit. Out of curiosity I ran the tire calculator using your setup (assuming a 7.5" wheel width) vs. what I was attempting to fit, and also vs. the 2011 Sonata Se 225/45-18 +46 17x7.5 oem wheel/tire combo.

235/50-17 +40 17x7.5 vs. 225/35-19 +40 19x7.5
[attachment=21974:tiree__Medium_.JPG][attachment=21975:tiree2__Medium_.JPG]
225/45-18 +46 18x7.5 vs. 225/35-19 +40 19x7.5
[attachment=21976:tirees3.JPG][attachment=21977:tirees4__Medium_.JPG]

I noticed your setup has a 3.9% diff in tire dia. vs. the 2011 Se's 18" oem wheel/tire combo. Seems pretty high IMHO since the rule of thumb is for less than 2% dia. diff, although it could very well be appropriate vs. the 16" or 17" oem wheel/tire packages (dunno those oem sizes so I didn't check that). Here's the tire cross calculator showing best results for those looking to upsize the Se 225/45-18 +46 17x7.5 oem wheel/tire combo to 19's. Looks like 225/40-19 works nicely.
[attachment=21979:tirees5.JPG]

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts